View poll results: Is dance a sport?
Yes
7 17%
No
32 76%
I'm not sure
3 7%
Voters: 42.
I've been having an argument with my friend lately, as to whether dancing is a sport or not. I personally consider it an art form, not really a sport but she disagrees. So, is dance a sport or not?
It depends what dance, I guess, since ballroom dances like the Waltz are definitely not sports, but many of today's modern dances are indeed considered sports.
A sport ends with a score based on hard evidence ex: soccer score 4-6, team with 4 wins, track and field, person with fastest time wins.
Quote by Martindecorum
yeah its a sport. its physical and can u name a sport that isnt physical

ye but sex is physical, i personally wouldnt call sex a sport....
Quote by Martindecorum
yeah its a sport. its physical and can u name a sport that isnt physical

Darts.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Have you seen the calves on some dancers? It they'd put a lot of athletes to shame.

I don't think it's a sport, but a very physical (and beautiful) art form.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Dancing isn't a sport. Cheerleading isn't a sport. Just because something is physical doesn't make it a sport. Hell, construction work is one of the most physical things you can do, yet it isn't a sport.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Corpus
I look at it like this...

Sports have rules
Art has no rules

DING!! DING!!! WIN!

/thread
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Martindecorum
no its called work hence the word contruction WORK

but yeah it has every thing sport has, competitors, scores, physical activities, strategies,

and guitar playing doesnt have those?
no guitar playing is art, it doesnt have score per se but it does have musical scores, its not really physical, it doesnt get ur heart beat racing, not always have competitors as people are releasing there inner emotion which brings the art factor back in, and as for strategies, eh maybe scales could be ur strategy
Quote by Martindecorum
no guitar playing is art, it doesnt have score per se but it does have musical scores, its not really physical, it doesnt get ur heart beat racing, not always have competitors as people are releasing there inner emotion which brings the art factor back in, and as for strategies, eh maybe scales could be ur strategy

its probably more physical than bobsled...
and you can have scores in battle of the bands
i wouldnt call dance any more a sport than music. My biggest is question is if its a sport, why isnt it in the olympics?
^ Ice dancing is. "DanceSport" is also recognized by the IOC. But that still doesn't make it a sport, IMO.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'd say it's more of a form of art than anything. It requires a lot of physical strength and endurance, obviously, but I still stand by that it is a physical form of art than an actual sport.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Ice dancing is. "DanceSport" is also recognized by the IOC. But that still doesn't make it a sport, IMO.

Dam, i was hoping nobody would notice that. Still, dancesport is very specific and dance very broad
I'd consider it a sport, as long as it can be done competitively it's a sport in my opinion.
I don't think so...you don't need to be physicly fit do dance really...not as much as you need to be to compete in real sports such as athletics, football (soccer) etc....more of an art form I'd say
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by HuckIt
I don't think so...you don't need to be physicly fit do dance really...not as much as you need to be to compete in real sports such as athletics, football (soccer) etc....more of an art form I'd say

Yeah, because this is what REAL athletes look like:

Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by mr_potroast
i wouldnt call dance any more a sport than music. My biggest is question is if its a sport, why isnt it in the olympics?

Golf is a sport and it is not in the Olympics....this is because there are so many tours that a person could play on that it is similar to the Olympics....I like to think of the PGA Tour as a type of Golfing Olympics since there is such a vast number of nationalities that play in it.

But back on topic, I agree with 2nd poster...it is an art....I think dancing is looked at more about the beauty and how it all looks not how one physically performs, although their performance may/probably will effect their score...
Quote by mr_potroast
2nd poster? i said that first!

True....but I due to you asking for other opinions made me think that you are not totally on that side of the opinion....
i think dancing as an art.... it has its tranquile moments and then its tense moments, but i don't see it as a sport....

E-married to no one
My Name is MaryJane
Pokemon Black FC: 3310-5005-8816

Quote by Kumanji
Honestly, I know where Alabama is and I suppose that explains your deeply striking looks...
Putting your daughter in dance classes is just prepping her for a life of stripping and grinding on nasty guys in clubs.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"