i have a left-over spring block from a floyd tremolo unit. i was thinking of bolting it onto the back of the headstock to create more mass. would it have any noticeable affect on sustain?

edit: and is there a difference in sustain between the les paul-style tail piece and the string-thru-body type?
Last edited by sethp at May 5, 2008,
Quote by stephen_rettie
.... a spring? to the headstock, not noticibly no lol
and yes string thru is said to have more sustain then a les paul bridge

not the spring. the spring BLOCK. the piece of metal that connects the tremolo's bridge plate to the tension springs
Quote by Matsols
no, I believe it will have no effect at all.

Yeah i don't think it will make any noticeable difference either. And yes, string-thru bridges tend to produce more sustain than les paul style bridges. This doesn't matter that much though because les pauls have more mass than those who use the other type of bridge (fender guitars).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Lots of people use the fat finger, but apparently its more for moving dead spots than increasing sustain. If you have any G-clamps lying around, you could always put a few of those on and see if there is an effect, and if not, just take it off again.
Quote by evening_crow
Yeah i don't think it will make any noticeable difference either. And yes, string-thru bridges tend to produce more sustain than les paul style bridges. This doesn't matter that much though because les pauls have more mass than those who use the other type of bridge (fender guitars).

But they've also got a shorter scale length, which will decrease sustain a bit.
adding wood does increase sustain and volume (although it might not be that noticable with that small piece of wood).

put your headstock up to a wall and play and take it away, you will notice a huge difference, it's like adding mass to the headstock but the mass isn't actually attached.
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147
Quote by Oudy
adding wood does increase sustain and volume (although it might not be that noticable with that small piece of wood).

actually, its a piece of metal. brass i believe. probably more substantial than a piece of wood. but it'll probably the very last thing that i do
and the G-clamps sounds like an easy experiment
Quote by sethp
actually, its a piece of metal. brass i believe. probably more substantial than a piece of wood. but it'll probably the very last thing that i do
and the G-clamps sounds like an easy experiment

oh god i feel stupid ive had like 4 hours of sleep in the past 2 days and for some reason i was thinking "piece of wood".

im not sure how it would effect the tone, i think it might ether dapen the sustain a bit or be so miniscule that you wouldn't really notice.
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147