So the other day when my friend and I were getting ready to play he started freaking out about his tubes in his amp. Apparently one had fallen out but it had not broken. He made a huged deal over this Fender Tube amp which was about 100 watts. Forgive me if i sound ignorant but what is so special about a tube amp?
Quote by redhalo94
So the other day when my friend and I were getting ready to play he started freaking out about his tubes in his amp. Apparently one had fallen out but it had not broken. He made a huged deal over this Fender Tube amp which was about 100 watts. Forgive me if i sound ignorant but what is so special about a tube amp?

They need a bit more of maintenance than solid-states. Maybe he freaked out so much because of biasing and stuff.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
They sound a ton better than almost all other kinds (I'm not gonna list them all).
Quote by Dyers
much better than a solid state

well that clears everything up now dosn't it
Many people like tube amps better because when they get driven enough and warm enough they get a natural overdriven sound that really is the tube amp signature sound. SS amps dont offer this insteed they use digital effects to try and replicate what a tube amp sounds like.
there's a lot of things that are better, more specifically you just get a more genuine tone from a tube (at least for me since i play a lot of blues and rock and roll) i guess if you're playing metal it might not be that big of a deal but then again i dont know a lot of metal amps and ****. But for the most part 9 times out of 10 if asked someone what they would rather have over tube and SS they'd say tube.....go ahead and research all the people that play tubes vs solid state
Quote by King-For-A-Day
tubeamps are louder and have a better sound quality that much solidstate-amps.

there really not louder but they do seem like it
Tube amps tend to have a much more natural sound than solid states, which tend to sound a lot more digital. Another thing is that most tube amps sound better with more volume, and most solid states are the opposite (a lot of them break up at gigworthy volumes). There are, of course, exceptions to all of that. Randall makes some kick ass solid states that can play a show with ease, while Krank's Krankenstein (tube) is one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played through.

Some people make a lot of the "high" maintinence of a tube amp, but in reality the tubes only need to be replaced at least once per year, and that's if you have some not so great tubes and don't use the standby switch properly and other things of that nature.

All in all, if you play in a band who plays shows, tube amps are generally the way to go. If you just practice at home and don't really have any plans to join a band or play any gigs, a good solid state would probably be better due to the better control of sound at lower volumes.

Also, I've come to find out that the reason why tube amps sound better at higher volumes isn't really because they are naturally louder, but because they produce a broader range of frequencies which our ears pick up and we hear them as being louder.

And then there's hybrids. Some amps use a tube-driven preamp going into a solid state power amp, or vise versa. I honestly don't see the usefulness of that. Pick one or the other. Yes, there are advantages of it over an all-solid state amp, but I'd still much rather have a full on tube amp. A few have actually gotten the hybrid right though, such as Randall.

Okay, I'm done.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Last edited by mafropetee at May 5, 2008,
Quote by redhalo94

Simply put, the only thing "special" about a tube amp is that they are generally considered to produce a more desirable tone than solid state amps.

Play your guitar through your amp, and then play your guitar through his amp. If you notice that you achieve a more desirable quality of sound and tone through his amp, that's what the big deal is all about. If you don't notice any difference, then don't worry about it and just carry on with your life.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube