So I am currently reading a book titled Swedish Death Metal, and the subject of the tome is pretty self explanatory. What I'd like to point out, though, before I go any further is that I thought I had this whole thing pretty pegged. Swedish death metal; that's easy right? Old In Flames, Opeth, Dissection, Hypocrisy and Entombed, things like that?

Well, this writer pretty much throws all this out the window; he's writing about how the genre reached it's pinacle in the early '90s with the bands that only ever released demo tapes (I've read ~140 pages and so far in history two bands have released "real" albums yet!).

Am I the only one who missed all of this? Have you guys heard Merciless demos? Or Nihilist's recordings?
Grotesque, Carnage, Nirvana 2002?
none of those are too underground bands really, havn't heard of Nirvana 2002 though

Nihilist and Carnage are great
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Kepulix
none of those are too underground bands really, havn't heard of Nirvana 2002 though

Nihilist and Carnage are great

So their first demos are well known to the world?

How did I miss this?
hahha sorry, well perhaps "underground" was a bad word choice

just that those who know their old school death metal should be more than familiar with these bands
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Nihilist are the first Incarnation of Entombed aren't they?

Not heard them, but I have heard Carnage's Dark Recollections. Pretty savage stuff, I'll have to re-attain it.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
I know Carnage, Grotesque and Nihilist. Those bands are where the swedish death metal scene started, it'll probably get into the Gothenburg melodeath stuff later on, and I doubt Opeth will be mentioned as they were never really part of a particular scene.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Grotesque was the pre-amble to At the Gates, though its more thrash than Death Metal as Gardens of Grief would turn out... I never really bother to hear the recordings by nihilist blah blah just know the random history...

He's probably refering to the golden days of tape-trading between the local scenes and stuff before the arrival of the internet and what not.

I forgot how early Opeth formed, but Orchid was pretty melodeathy (in the vein of the earlier albums, like Skydancer/Lunar Strain) -just a whole hell lot more progressive than those other releases at the time...- They probably came to late to be in a scene -1995, at least dated for their first releases- but as I said... they were quite too diff to really be associated, I guess :S
So are these bands (early) melodic death metal, or just (old school?) death metal bands that happen to be Swedish?
pretty much Old School "Swedish" Death Metal, some of them being predecesors of Melodic Death Metal like say Ceremonial Oath (In Flames), Grotesque (At the Gates), Infestation (At the Gates, Anders came from this one I believe), then you have Nihilist (Entombed) and Dismember... which I forgot what they came from
Turns out I was pretty ignorant to not know of those bands, eh? I feel kinda ashamed of it, actually.

Still, it's a great book! I've realy enjoyed it so far, but it's really bitter that it's so hard to find the music you read about. Well, it got me interested enough to go search for some old, old, old school deat metal at any rate.

EDIT: http://www.myspace.com/mercilesssweden

One of the Swedish thrash bands that inspired the rise of death metal; how could I have missed this!?

It is very raw though.
Nirvana 2002 is Orvar from Filmkrönikans band.

Edit: That sounds weird in english so here's a better version. Nirvana 2002 features Orvar Säfström (he used to host a moviediscussion show on the biggest swedish tv-channel) on guitar and vocals.
That's how I heard about them.
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at May 5, 2008,
Cant blame yourself for being ignorant certain circumstances just push it to that, I remember getting a good deal of info from Dark Tranquillity's Exposures, the booklet had some hefty info here and there from reviews or just seeking out more melodeath lol
I need me some more Merciless.. absolutely face-ripping death metal.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I knew Carnage. Micheal Ammott started it didn't he?
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
I knew Carnage. Micheal Ammott started it didn't he?

Yeah, but after the first album he left to join Carcass.
Quote by Renka
So I am currently reading a book titled Swedish Death Metal, and the subject of the tome is pretty self explanatory. What I'd like to point out, though, before I go any further is that I thought I had this whole thing pretty pegged. Swedish death metal; that's easy right? Old In Flames, Opeth, Dissection, Hypocrisy and Entombed, things like that?

Well, this writer pretty much throws all this out the window; he's writing about how the genre reached it's pinacle in the early '90s with the bands that only ever released demo tapes (I've read ~140 pages and so far in history two bands have released "real" albums yet!).

Am I the only one who missed all of this? Have you guys heard Merciless demos? Or Nihilist's recordings?
Grotesque, Carnage, Nirvana 2002?

Man Swedish death has always been Dismember, Carnage, Entombed etc... anyway

They are the big 3, and a bit boring tbh especially Dismember

Merciless is alright, nothing too special, Nihilist is amazing, Grotesque is good and Nirvana 2002 I haven't heard as much of.

No doubt he mentioned Unanimated - Fire Storm which I found boring too :P:

Morbid are a great band but I don't know if he mentioned them seeing as you say he focused on the 90s (which most people would)

Cemetary, Demise, Desecrator, Abhoth, Belsebub, Carbonized, Darkified, Defleshed, God Macabre, Toxaemia, Eucharist, Infester (yes, there is a Swedish Infester as well as the (superior) american one), Luciferion, Necrony are all old Swedish bands and most of those are better than Dismember and Entombed.

Bolded are the stand-outs
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Nihilist are the first Incarnation of Entombed aren't they?

Not heard them, but I have heard Carnage's Dark Recollections. Pretty savage stuff, I'll have to re-attain it.

Yea. If you listen to Premature Autopsy (that's my favourite of theirs), that is about as good as 80s death metal gets, later in their (short) career they get closer to the sound they'd take on as Entombed. Basically in about '89 or '90, they didn't have the guts to kick out their drummer (i think it was their drummer) so they all left the band and formed Entombed, but it's a pretty different sound.

Quote by Clownmite
So are these bands (early) melodic death metal, or just (old school?) death metal bands that happen to be Swedish?

The old school death scene in Sweden was just as unique as their melodic death metal scene a few years later, if that's what you're getting at

Quote by Renka
Turns out I was pretty ignorant to not know of those bands, eh? I feel kinda ashamed of it, actually.

Still, it's a great book! I've realy enjoyed it so far, but it's really bitter that it's so hard to find the music you read about. Well, it got me interested enough to go search for some old, old, old school deat metal at any rate.

EDIT: http://www.myspace.com/mercilesssweden

One of the Swedish thrash bands that inspired the rise of death metal; how could I have missed this!?

It is very raw though.

Who is the author?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Yeeeeeeaaaaah!

A lot of peeps thought Dismember came from Carnage but they're two different bands really. Same with Grotesque & At The Gates.
Members were in the previous bands then formed a new one, as I said from Infested came Anders and from Grotesque Tompa, from Grotesque also exported members to form Liers In Wait, I think... and MHD Eucharist should be bolded :@ -chokes- >_>
I can't say that I listen a lot to any of the bands mentioned in the original posts, but as both an avid metal fan and a Swede - of course I know of all of those bands, and recognize their significance to swedish death metal. Swedish death metal isn't all about, and wasn't always about, melodic death.
Can't say I fancy Eucharist much, lol

Quote by MHDrunk
Who is the author?

Daniel Ekeroth. It's published by Tamara Press.
Thanks, I'm gonna go hunt down an ebook of that lol

Quote by MHDrunk
Thanks, I'm gonna go hunt down an ebook of that lol

I got mine from the library; they do have good books there too, you know.
All they have there is a Headbangers Guide and a collection of Metallica books lol

Doesnt mean I'm still not gonna choke ya, MHD har har

Hm library... fricken family rented out books from there and still hasnt returned them I guess Ill drop em off and look for this book haha
It's a good 'un!

And it's not strictly about the nineties; it starts in America with Death and Morbid Angel, then it turns to Napal Death in Brittain and only after that it gets to the Swedish punk/hardcore/thrash scene where it describes the evolution of death metal. As I said, it gets to the nineties after over 100 pages.