I play through a b-52 at212, and I'm looking at building a guitar to be mainly used for blues. Looking for 3 single coils, no budget limits (still in high school), preferably not quite as screechy as traditional strat pickups. NO STACKED HUMBUCKERS!!!

So far, I've found a Duncan APS-something (Alnico II, staggered poles) for middle position, and I'm lightly considering either a quarter pounder or SSL-3 Hot for bridge position. I can't find a neck pickup that I'm really thrilled about, but so far I'm looking at a Vintage staggered or, tell me if this is retarded, a Duncan Hot Tele neck pickup.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oh, sorry, light swamp ash body, hard maple neck.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
The EMG David Gilmour set is the most fantastic sounding single coil set up I have ever heard!! So articulate, So clean!
But if active isn't your deal take a look at the Dimarzio True Velvet line. Very Very tasty! There's also the HS-3 which is quite formidable.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Not a big fan of actives, and I'm looking for something fairly high output. I could be wrong on two levels, but I thought the True Velvets were pretty mellow, and maybe if I want to get away from ridiculous high screechy fender pickups I need lower output. Any other ideas?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
duncans
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
well, yes, duncans... but can we get a little more specific? I'm really curious about installing a pickup designed for a telecaster into a strat... I don't see any logical reason not too as far as electronics goes, but will it sound all right in swamp ash? It's just so lovely and warm without being obnoxious.
Quote by Powerhouse
There are 2 fender strat tones. There is the late 60's/early 70's sound and the 50's/ early 60's sound. The 50's pickups were very bright with scooped mids and a loose (perhaps even floppy) bass end that made everything clear and open while still sounding smooth. These pickups sound nice and warm in the neck and middle but sound thin and cold in the bridge. SRV used mostly pickups from the late 50's and early 60 so listen to some of his stuff for referance.

The other fender tone was pretty much the opposite. Lots of upper midrange for the "quack" that people think of when they think of strats. They also had lots of tight bass and slightly less trebble but because of the strong upper midrange, it made the pickup seem both bright and full. These pickups have a very dry hard tone. Hendrix used mostly guitars from the late 60's so they pretty much represent his tone.

So which of these types of blues tones are you looking for? Or are you looking for something that sits somewhere in the middle? Or do you want to mix and match?
Not taking any online orders.
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Last edited by hans the lefty at May 5, 2008,
This isnt from personal experience as my guitar stuff is crap at the moment (because im a noob) but may i suggest Lace Sensor pickups? A load of great guitarists use them, and theres loads of different types
Quote by CorduroyEW
There are 2 fender strat tones. There is the late 60's/early 70's sound and the 50's/ early 60's sound. The 50's pickups were very bright with scooped mids and a loose (perhaps even floppy) bass end that made everything clear and open while still sounding smooth. These pickups sound nice and warm in the neck and middle but sound thin and cold in the bridge. SRV used mostly pickups from the late 50's and early 60 so listen to some of his stuff for referance.

The other fender tone was pretty much the opposite. Lots of upper midrange for the "quack" that people think of when they think of strats. They also had lots of tight bass and slightly less trebble but because of the strong upper midrange, it made the pickup seem both bright and full. These pickups have a very dry hard tone. Hendrix used mostly guitars from the late 60's so they pretty much represent his tone.

So which of these types of blues tones are you looking for? Or are you looking for something that sits somewhere in the middle? Or do you want to mix and match?

you sir impress me. you know exactly what your talking about.

as far as this thread goes. i deff say Seymour duncans. i prefer the rails, cool vintage hot i like them all. chem em out
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.