Hammerhead is available via download on their official site. www.offspring.com

I like it, its a bit polished for my taste, but you heard Bob Rock was involved so I knew that was going to happen. But its really "classic" (matters what you consider classic) Offspring, reminds me of something that would be on Americana.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Wow, I was really expecting people to be really excited about it, guess not..........haha
Had to do shift+2 to do the @ symbol which was odd.

Anyway, the song is a bit too polished. Not too bad a song, at least an improvement on everything that was on the last album.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i really like it....the offspring got me into the rockier side of music. i owe these guys alot! **** yeah for these guys and this killer new track!

the subject matter is good....it starts of from the perspective of a soldier...and then it turns out its another physcotic teenager who's on a killing spree in school cleverly written though
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
yeah, i'm really excited about their new album. I've been waiting 5 years for this and i can say that the album wont dissapoint me.

Hammerhead sounds like Ixnay/Ignition and im glad they didnt choose a poppy song (original prankster, hit that, pretty fly) as their first single
...."this is what's best for me, for you, for us, or maybe just for me", i thought...
There is a bit of an older edge to it but they're clearly suffering from using expensive studios. They should just get some cheaper mics or something and not clean it up so much because the sound isn't that good for them.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Yeah I liked the intro, it definitely sounded like older material. But I think they're trying too hard to recreate those times, and trying to recreate the days when they used to thrash out scuzzy punk anthems when they're living the high life and Bob Rock is in the chair is always going to be difficult. Too polished and too forced. Sadly I think their best days are behind them. I don't want to write them off but to me they just seem so out of touch these days.
Quote by Andrewbiles
There is a bit of an older edge to it but they're clearly suffering from using expensive studios. They should just get some cheaper mics or something and not clean it up so much because the sound isn't that good for them.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I would kill for a Ignition-Smash produced record from them. They are better off playing at one of their home studios and just letting it rip. I have a feeling this album will be more polished then an anal drummer's cymbals. Bob rock history shows us that alone.

But I've kind of accepted that is the way its going to be, and too kind of look past it and just listen for the quality edge that they have back. I think half of splinter was a waste but they're were some great songs on there that if recorded in 96 or something they would be better received ( Da Hui, The Noose, Lightning Rod)
Can't say I liked 'Da Hui' - "Don't f*ck with Da Hui", bit lame really - but you are right in a way. I don't know what's changed with them, different amps, guitars, distortion pedals, or just more professional recording, but ever since 'Americana' the sound has never really had the same edge to it.

You're most likely right with the prediction, might be a worthwhile album to hear though.

RateYourMusic
I enjoy the song, too. I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a band or artist in any form would try to be as good as they can possibly become and use any resources available to create their art as perfectly as possible.

Don't be afraid of a better mic. Just means you can understand/think about the words clearer.

Just a thought.

- PunkFish.
I know enough about microphones and other pieces of studio equipment but I think what producers for mainstream rock/pop-punk bands are forgetting is the basic idea of creating a sound that works with the music rather than a sound that will work for top 40 radio listeners.

RateYourMusic
^ yep, Conspiracy of One was a decent album but there was way too much of that Default/ Third Eye Blind distortion type thing going. Like it literally sounded as if Columbia Records went down there and washed away all of the aggressive tones and kind of leveled everything off. I just hope they don;t have a pop single on this one, thats what really has disappointed me about them. Your well established, so cut the crap and stop put stiuff out like Hit That....

Da Hui is a bit lame lyrically, but its as aggressive as we have seen the Offspring since, All I Want on Inxay.
Aww I liked Hit That, but I know what you're saying. You'd think that a band that has been around as long as they have, and have the fan base they have would stop caring about radio play and album sales, and would put out the record they want. I'm hoping this album is what they want.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't know if its that or just having to put that kind of stuff on there to shut up the label.

In a perfect World, The Offspring would finish their contract with Columbia and release an album through Nitro Records and see how it does. Dexter has always been a download advocate and etc. and they might pull a In Rainbows

A do it themselves approach would be ideal.......
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Jun 3, 2008,
That's true. You'd think a band of their stature would be immune to that type of thing, but I guess that's just one of the evils of the major label. How long is their Columbia contract?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
^ I've looked and I can't find it but inxay was the first off Columbia in 96 and since then there has been 5 and will be 6. So either they resigned with Columbia midway through or there just about to finish with them......
http://www.punknews.org/article/29204

You can stream the new album.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

So far so good with the new cd.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
First impressions.

The first 6 songs are great. They have a classic Offspring sound, but are cleaner sounding with a pretty good rock sound.The next six songs are pretty bad after one listen, some might improve when I listen to them more. I was expecting a straight up rock album, and most of these songs are too poppy. The last song is pretty good, but the chords sound an awful lot like American Idiot.

If they had made it a six or seven song ep it would have been great, but overall the album is mediocre. I'm fairly disappoint with what I heard.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Jun 9, 2008,
I love You're Gonna Go Far, Kid.

It's like Offspring with a side of Muse.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
http://www.imeem.com/theoffspring

My impressions

better then Conspiracy or Splinter and this album seems alot more concentrated on, it consistent. Theres some killer songs on here like Half Truism, Trust in You, A lot Like Me

But of course it has a bit of that poppy sound to it, and half of the album is kind of upbeat. It matters what you expected, I didn't expect another Americana so I am satisfied and I think its a solid rock album, but its not an overall return to form....but its looking better.....
It sounds like they didn't even attempt to write a decent song on this album. The production is way over the top as well. I don't think I'll listen to this album again.

*Pops in Ixnay*

-Dan
Quote by element4433
http://www.punknews.org/article/29204

You can stream the new album.

Nice, cheers for that link.
Literally just put it on and thought they mixed it up with Muse ('In your world') - what a pointless intro.
Sounds, so far, like they're trying to mix their style up with the likes of MCR...

EDIT: Not terrible on first listen but from that first song that was released it didn't really live up to hope and expectations of what it could have been.

RateYourMusic
i was a bit disappointed with the new album, not that i was expecting a lot but..

By the way, i agree with pookie, you're gonna go far kid sounds nice :P !
I just got the album. I think it's pretty mediocre. Nothingtown sounds way too much like Want You Bad. I'm pretty sure the first few chords of the verse are actually the exact same.

It might just be me, but I also hear alot of Green Day in this album.
The intro to Stuff Is Messed Up reminds me of Longview and Fix You's intro sounds pretty much indentical to Wake Me Up When September Ends.
Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey
I ache in the places where I used to play.