So tell me... why the **** do drummers always beat the living hell out of their drums

Page 1 of 2
?

every damn drummer i have encountered so far seems to think you need to beat the crap out of it to make sound...

That's cause we do to hear ourselves over the self-centered guitarists (Runs to avoid flaming)
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Because you probably have a crappy amp (or one that is not loud enough) and want them to play nice and soft.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by metaldud536
Keep walking around tall grass and carry your strongest pokemon around.

Nice

But yeah. You attract crappy drummers it seems.
my college band was actually named because of our drummer just smashing things, we're called Yohann SMASH! =D
Quote by metaldud536

i'm with this guy.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
it's kinda like playing a tube amp loudly, the tone and sound of the wood becomes more prominent when you play loud.

And seriously, who doesn't feel like beating the crap out of something every once and a while?

I think you just have a crappy amp and can't hear yourself over the drums
Quote by CoreysMonster
it's kinda like playing a tube amp loudly, the tone and sound of the wood becomes more prominent when you play loud.

And seriously, who doesn't feel like beating the crap out of something every once and a while?

I think you just have a crappy amp and can't hear yourself over the drums

so what ? i don't crank my tube amp everywhere, whether it bothers people or not

agreed, but not all the time...

40 watt fender blues deluxe owner here

btw my comments weren't directed at you, just in general.
Why wouldn't you hit them hard?
All of my favorite drummers are "hard-hitters".
It gives the music that 'oomph'.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
You obviously don't know many decent drummers...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
You obviously don't know many decent drummers...

our drummer is incredibly skilled actually (seriously) but he seems to suffer from the typical drummers disease: always hitting the drums as hard as he can...
Good drummers can play quietly. Mediocre ones can't. That's where you're confused.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
What's the point in playing drums if you aren't going to hit them loudly? Particularly in rock/metal.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by The red Strat.
our drummer is incredibly skilled actually (seriously) but he seems to suffer from the typical drummers disease: always hitting the drums as hard as he can...

A good drummer should be able to change the feel of the music. They should be able to have complete control about how hard to hit and when, where to hit each drum to create different sound e.t.c
As I'm sure you know, it's more than just tricky drum patterns.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
They hit things for a hobby. So why not so it to the best of their ability?

Anyway, all drummers I've encountered know when to go loud or quiet

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Thats how my last drummer was. He tore the **** out of the set he was using (wasnt even his, it was our bassist's) and thats kinda how my younger brother plays. I mean its okay for some songs, but other times it just ruins the sound.

When will they learn that being tough, means being tender.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
One time my drummer broke three sticks in one song. It was over 11 minutes long though, but still. He also use to beat tears in his €400 Zildijan cymbals. Very talented guy nonetheless. He knows better by now.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
If your playing something like The Beatles or The Doors, then your just going to tap your drums because its not energetic music. If your playing something like Slayer then the energy of the music takes control and you do things you wouldnt normally do. Why do some guitar players beat the shit out of their strings? because of the energy level, which is different for different people.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Because

Pissed off kid drumming with huge energy and anger issues > conventional drumming
Its hard for a drum set to sound as good as it does on (certain) albums when you play soft... so you gotta play loud!
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by Tarzan_man
Most drums are sampled nowadays, I assume you mean the older albums?

Sure, when I play, I have to actually hit the cymbals (hard) to get a good crash sound, hit the bass to get the strong beat sound… usually when I play quiet, it sounds like crap… or a jazz album (not comparing crap to jazz... jazz is awesome)
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Its tough like that though. Drummers say they need to, and other band members try to play upto that volume, sometimes making it a loud mess...
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Quote by metaldud536
Obviously you haven't encountered a decent drummer.

Correct.
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
A lot of drummers do waste energy by hitting them hard with bad technique, but it is necessary to hit them hard to get the right sound - like for louder music, obviously. For jazz/blues, not so much. But thats why they make thinner drum heads for jazz/blues drummer. They project more. Unfortunately these days %90 of drummers can't tune a drum any easier than they can fly a helicopter, which means that drum heads with too much muffling are becoming more and more popular. This in turn requires the drummer to hit them harder to get volume.

So the moral of the story is, hit your drums hard with good technique, and learn how to effing tune.

EDIT: there are just as many drummers around that don't hit their drums hard enough because they are bedroom drummers, and don't understand projection. What you hear on stage on your drum thrown is waaay different than what the crowd hears. This is one reason why tuning is neglected. The drummer hears the batter heads from his drum thrown, and thinks, 'sounds good!' But in fact they sound like cardboard boxes.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at May 5, 2008,
Quote by metaldud536

don't worry i have my level 10 pikachu
Because it's fun. Try it.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
If your playing something like The Beatles or The Doors, then your just going to tap your drums because its not energetic music. If your playing something like Slayer then the energy of the music takes control and you do things you wouldnt normally do. Why do some guitar players beat the shit out of their strings? because of the energy level, which is different for different people.

They both have energetic stuff.
They obviously have not looked up the price of good drum heads. I have remo pinstripes on mine and I would NEVER do that.
Page 1 of 2