Page 1 of 2
So yeah started with a Squire P-Bass.

Changed the pickup for a Dimarzio Will Power Middle
Routed the body and put a Dimarzio Will Power Neck, in the neck position and a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bridge, in the bridge position. Covered them with a new custom cut cream scratchplate.

I wired the neck pickup to volume 1 -> tone -> output 1
I wired the middle pickup to volume 2 -> output 2

Then I wired in 4 switches:

1 on/on/on, so the neck humbucker can be played in series, parallel or coil tapped.
1 on/on/on, so the middle humbucker can be played in series, parallel or coil tapped.
1 on/on, so the middle and neck humbuckers can be played out of phase with eachother (Phase Tapped)
1 on/off/on, so the bridge humbucker is either wired in the same circuit as the middle pickup, off, or the same circuit as the neck pickup.

Then I replaced the neck for a 21 fret maple fretboard, maple neck, scalloped frets 17-21, and put Hipshot tuners in, with a Hipshot D-Tuner.

Then I replaced the bridge for a Schaller 4-D3.

All that is now left of the Squire is the body, the tone pot, the earthwire, and the little neckplate that says 'Squire' on it.

She isn't pretty, but she plays better than any other bass I've ever played ever... and she started as a Squire!!

All that is played through:
2xLaney RB9's (2x300watts)
2xLaney RB410's

and a Rack consisting of:
Alesis 3630 Compressor
TC Electronic M350 FX Processor
Tech 21 RBI Bass distortion
Fender Rackmount Tuner

Anyone reckon they can beat that for custom job they did in their own garage?
Hold up.

Did you change the neck straight through to a 21 fret version? Did you move the bridge?

If you haven't, your intonation is going to be screwed up.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Sounds like a good project. I say put pictures up too!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
pics or it doesn't exist

also yeah i can beat that the bass i'm playing right now i made myself in my garage
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at May 5, 2008,
For the neck, yes I did, the 21st fret overhangs the body a little bit.
For the bridge, no, I lined the middle hole left by the original bridge, with the middle hole on the new bridge, the intonation is spot on, and even if it wasnt, its why you can move the saddles backwards and forwards with the springs holding them in place... luckily I lined it up just right, and I havnt had to yet.

Pictures and recordings will come as soon as I can.
Quote by GregBillHill
For the neck, yes I did, the 21st fret overhangs the body a little bit.
For the bridge, no, I lined the middle hole left by the original bridge, with the middle hole on the new bridge, the intonation is spot on, and even if it wasnt, its why you can move the saddles backwards and forwards with the springs holding them in place... luckily I lined it up just right, and I havnt had to yet.

Pictures and recordings will come as soon as I can.

Okay, was just checking . If you just slapped a new longer neck on there without moving the bridge, the intonation would be out.

But since it's an overhang neck, it sounds good!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/coloradobulldog375/P5050151.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/coloradobulldog375/P5050153.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/coloradobulldog375/P5050155.jpg

There you go, you can see the pickups, the scalloped frets, and all the knobs and switches.

If you want more, ask!

She isn't pretty, she's very thrown together to make one hell of a sound! I'll get recordings as soon as I can.
Wow, that is one ugly bass......

Why didn't you just fork out more and get a better bass in the first place?
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Do you know of a bass that does all that, that's on the market?

If you find one for less than £475 (about $950) then show me!!
You can probably get a decent 2nd hand one for that price

But hey....I made my bass so I can't fault you for trying
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Can I see a picture of yours, so I can see what we've done differently?

Cheers dude.
why did you do that to the headstock, there is no playability bonus for it, it's just ruined.

i like the idea with the pickups although i'm not keen on the placement of the neck pickup i would have placed it near the middle

and finally i don't like the pickguard or the scalloped frets i see no use for them on a bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
That's certainly a beast!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Well it's certainly an interesting project!
Quote by Bumper

Quote by skater dan0
why did you do that to the headstock, there is no playability bonus for it, it's just ruined.

i like the idea with the pickups although i'm not keen on the placement of the neck pickup i would have placed it near the middle

and finally i don't like the pickguard or the scalloped frets i see no use for them on a bass

Like I've already said, the holes on the headstock were significantly too big.

Now, if you fill the gaps with anything so your machine heads fit, they will not be securely fitted, therefore never stay in tune. The only alternative was to drill new holes. So I did. Instead of having the G string tuner so near the edge of the headstock, I fitted it to the bottom.

It wasn't really a choice, more of a compramise.
Quote by skater dan0

Actually, now that I've read what you wrote. The neck pickup, is at the neck, because it's a neck pickup....... and thats where neck pickups go.... ANYWAY! the frets are scalloped because when you tap, you can bend extremely high, and get insane vibratos with so little friction beneath the strings.

And for someone who doesn't use a pick, plays with all his fingers and plays basslines, not root notes it's quite nice to get such extreme diversity, you know?
Quote by GregBillHill
And for someone who doesn't use a pick, plays with all his fingers and plays basslines, not root notes it's quite nice to get such extreme diversity, you know?

I had respect for you. Now I losted it.

Also, there's an edit button so you can stop double posting .
Quote by Bumper

You sure as hell like Billy Sheehan quite a lot don't you? lol I mean... p'up choices, dual outputs, scalloped 21 fret fingerboard, d-tuner and such. Nice bass all the same.

indie-bassist:

Also, there's an edit button so you can stop double posting... yeah well, there's also lots of grammar checkers on the web, or did you just "losted" track of 'em?
My Gear:

Ibanez S520
Line 6 Variax 700
Roland Cube 30X
Boss GT-8

Yamaha RBX 370
Hartke B300
Yamaha Magicstomp EB

Roland Juno-G
Peavey KB1
Last edited by Alin Snagov at May 5, 2008,
Hehe, it's ok, I know how using fingers has become somewhat old fashioned now, but I guess it's just how I learnt and I guess I've stuck with it, it's just easier and more controlled that way.

And yeah I don't use ultimate guitar much, or any guitar forum infact, so not very familiar with it. Nevermind, I'll probably get it soon.

And yes dude, definitely! Billy's a real influence on me as it can plainly be seen haha.
Quote by Alin Snagov
indie-bassist:

Also, there's an edit button so you can stop double posting... yeah well, there's also lots of grammar chekers on the web, or did you just "losted" track of 'em?

I think he was taking the piss.

Round here, there are a lot fo people who play finger style. It is just that playing with a pick is just another techinque, that gives a different sound. Many great bass players use picks, and have great tone (e.g Justin from Tool).

And while I think the bass looks like a pile of poo, I can imagine it sounding great.

Have you considered swapping the body to one of higher quality wood? The woods count for about half of the tone of the bass. It can make a huge difference.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yeah, when I changed the neck the tone improved dramatically. I can only imagine the body would do the same. I'll get a new one eventually.

And yeah, 2/3 ain't bad. It sounds good and plays good. It just doesn't really look good. I already said 'she ain't pretty' hehe
Quote by GregBillHill
Actually, now that I've read what you wrote. The neck pickup, is at the neck, because it's a neck pickup....... and thats where neck pickups go.... ANYWAY! the frets are scalloped because when you tap, you can bend extremely high, and get insane vibratos with so little friction beneath the strings.

get your facts straight before you have a stab at me

i applaud you on your closed mind it's quite an achievement

this is your idea done right

notice how the neck pickup isn't right up at the neck. this is because at the neck your tone is pure mud as proven by gibson enough times.

if you could route a neat hole maybe you could have got away without a pickguard covering the entire body.

now i was nice enough to offer my opinion when you asked for it but if you want to be an arse to people who disagree with you i can be as much of an arse back
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Hehe I'm sorry dude, I didn't mean for you to take offense.

And no, that's an Urge II bass, they are pretty cool.

My bass is basically a Yamaha Attitude bass, which Alin said, since thats the Billy Sheehan Signature model, sells for about £800-£900. They are his signature pickups. The neck pickup is somtimes called a 'mudbucker' since it is so low and fails to define any sort of note, which you are right, Gibson has showed us. Which is why the pickups are biamped, in the sense that all that pickup really does is shake the floor, whilst the other 2 provide much cleaner tones.

Gentlemen seriously, it's biamped. Billy Sheehan's attitude bass is also biamped. Stu Hamm's Urge bass isn't.

Biamping is where you isolate the bass frequencies and the treble frequencies, and send them along their own seperate channels. This way you get all the high frequency response in order not to sound muddy, whilst still keeping the all important low end, which naturally defines 'bass' as the instrument it is.

I've basically taken that idea, stuck a bridge pickup on it, followed all the wiring diagrams and made the pickups do as much as they can possibly do, and made it more custom to how I want it. It's pretty unorthadox... but thats to be expected.

It's all cool dude.
Last edited by GregBillHill at May 5, 2008,
Quote by skater dan0
get your facts straight before you have a stab at me

i applaud you on your closed mind it's quite an achievement

this is your idea done right

notice how the neck pickup isn't right up at the neck. this is because at the neck your tone is pure mud as proven by gibson enough times.

if you could route a neat hole maybe you could have got away without a pickguard covering the entire body.

now i was nice enough to offer my opinion when you asked for it but if you want to be an arse to people who disagree with you i can be as much of an arse back

I believe this is his idea done a little better

Edit: how does the middle P pickup sound?
Last edited by hippiebass at May 5, 2008,
Quote by hippiebass
I believe this is his idea done a little better

Yes exactly! Well played!

It's just given the choice, would you buy a shiny new Attitude bass and route a bridge pickup into it? and eliminate anything that it's worth?! Or would you buy a Squire, and have absolutely nothing to lose by routing a bridge pickup into it?

You now see why I did that yeah?

And yeah the middle pickup has a hell of alot more mid than a standard P pickup, so it really cuts through. Obviously the neck pickup is ridiculously bassy and the bridge pickup has the all the treble.... so you can really get any sound you want out of this thing.

Last edited by GregBillHill at May 5, 2008,
That and an Attitude bass costs more than $1000US and that project couldn't have cost much more than the pickups and neck. But Dan has a point you should redo the pickguard or clean it up or something, it looks bad.
Quote by GregBillHill
Hehe I'm sorry dude, I didn't mean for you to take offense.

And no, that's an Urge II bass, they are pretty cool.

My bass is basically a Yamaha Attitude bass, which Alin said, since thats the Billy Sheehan Signature model, sells for about £800-£900. They are his signature pickups. The neck pickup is somtimes called a 'mudbucker' since it is so low and fails to define any sort of note, which you are right, Gibson has showed us. Which is why the pickups are biamped, in the sense that all that pickup really does is shake the floor, whilst the other 2 provide much cleaner tones.

Gentlemen seriously, it's biamped. Billy Sheehan's attitude bass is also biamped. Stu Hamm's Urge bass isn't.

Biamping is where you isolate the bass frequencies and the treble frequencies, and send them along their own seperate channels. This way you get all the high frequency response in order not to sound muddy, whilst still keeping the all important low end, which naturally defines 'bass' as the instrument it is.

I've basically taken that idea, stuck a bridge pickup on it, followed all the wiring diagrams and made the pickups do as much as they can possibly do, and made it more custom to how I want it. It's pretty unorthadox... but thats to be expected.

It's all cool dude.

it's cool man sorry i jumped at you, i'm just sick of people going on that playing with a pick and root pounding isn't playing bass. i know what biamping is and it's a cool idea but it's not for me. it's to much hassle, i can run my bass into my amp and get a tone i'd happily use to play to several thousand people.

Now that i see what you are doing it doesn't seem so amatuerish and i don't mean any offense by that. but people place a pickup at the neck because guitars have them so why shouldn't basses, which i think is totally the wrong approach and that's what i saw originally.

there are still aspects of your bass that i don't like the pickguard and the scalloped frets but it's your bass not mine at the end of the day so congratulations are in order for getting the tone you want i guess.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
to be honest I don't understand why you bought the P-bass to start with, If all thats left is the body, you could have bought a high quality wood body, and it could have been a little cheaper too.

You could have also chosen the paint to go on it, because it's rather fugly.

Good on you for making your own bass though, I'll be doing the same in 10 years hopefully!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Hehe well to be honest guys I can give you another list now. The bridge was too high (as in even when the action was at it's lowest, the strings were to high) so thats routed into the body to lower it, dodgily, but you can't see that in the picture :P

The bridge pickup is being held up by Biro springs, because Dimarzio don't send you springs, they assume that you are just directly replacing pickups... well I wasn't haha.

Lastly, you're right Dan, unfortunately the gap routed for the bridge pickup is so ridiculously oversized, that the only way to cover it is with a stupidly oversized scratchplate.

So to be honest everything that's there is there for a reason. hehe, thanks anyway though!
that bass looks cool, I don't care what these guys say about the ugly. I'd try and buy it if I had money.
dude, you know what would make that cooler? plug the holes in the headstock with corks!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
congrats on a well done project, and the fortitude, to see it through. how much money did it take, in all? with all those switches, is there any noticable buzz, or hum?
just curious.
I actually like the way it looks, cept the pickguard.

All in all, Kudos, Just hurry up & get sound clips!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Wow, i would seriously pay you to make me one. It got so much attitude, and i imagine it sounds brootal. Good work fine sir. Though we will need soundclips
I like that, honestly...It looks like it's seen a tour or four. Congrats on getting your tone.
Nope, no sig here.
Page 1 of 2