I just got a Cube 30 (not the Cube X) and whenever I touch the strings, even very slighty, I hear a noise that resembles a spark, out of my amp. It's like the sound that comes out of of a stove when you try to turn on the fire with the in-built button on the oven, and fail to do it. Have I explained this clear enough?

What causes this, and how can I fix it?
Quote by MPM12
I just got a Cube 30 (not the Cube X) and whenever I touch the strings, even very slighty, I hear a noise that resembles a spark, out of my amp. It's like the sound that comes out of of a stove when you try to turn on the fire with the in-built button on the oven, and fail to do it. Have I explained this clear enough?

What causes this, and how can I fix it?

Hmm, your oven analogy was excellent, but it sounds to me like a 'clicking' sound rather than a 'sparkling'. Perhaps 'sparking'. Not sparkling, that makes it sound like you've got Highland Spring in your amp.

Anyway, I'd hazard a guess at a pickup problem. Have you tried your guitar with a different amp? Are your strings too close to the pickups? Are you using a coin to pick?
i think he wouldve mentioned the coin part,i mean he explained the oven bit accurately...!

try your guitar on another amp and other guitars on your amp,and see where the noise persists
It doesn't have anything to do with picking. Since the sound occurse when I touch the strings with my fingers, anywhere from the fretboard to the bridge. The sound doesn't happen when I pick with a pick.

It's reacting to my fingers
It means your guitar is somehow not grounded properly. You fix it by checking and possibly replacing all the connections and solder joints inside the guitar, and tracing the ground wire (one that goes to the bridge) for fraying or breaks.
You mean it's not an issue of the amp itself? It's not the guitar I think. When I hook it up to my computer (using Guitar Rig) I don't have the problem. This also didn't occur when I tried out the Cube 30X at the store.
It could be your cable- it doesn't sound like the amp, but it's possible. That's much more difficult to diagnose.
when you touch your strings it happens? do you have a hum coming from your guitar, and then the hum goes away when you touch the strings after a quick sort of "tick" sound?

thats your guitar BEING grounded.. and is nothing to worry about and happens to about 99% of all guitars.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
well what you described sounds very much like what i just told you. you'll need to be more specific.

if its not happening when you hook it up to your computer, you'll need to understand that the computers are probably better grounded than cubes.. Guitar rig usually has noise gates as well to filter out those small pops right until you start playing.
But I also said that I tested a Cube 30X in the store when I bought my guitar, and there was no problem. This was just weeks ago.
it could have been set up differently. are you sure you were listening for it? apparently there is an internal noise gate in the cube but i'm unsure how to adjust it.
I have an equal problem. It is because i dont have any earth link input on my room. So i guess some signal escape in my fingers which cause the sound.

If not, prolly poor cable.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
I hope it's poor cable, but it honestly doesnt make sense if it is so. They're stock cables that came with the guitar, but I don't think those will suck so bad that they will create this problem.
That's where you're wrong. Stock cables are generally the worst.

And good cables are a very important part of your signal chain

EDIT: (To TS, not guy above me. that guy's right.)
Last edited by the-patient at May 5, 2008,
So the cheap cable is causing pops to come out of my amp every time I touch the strings???