i m newbie in UG forum.. i recently bought a fender squier strat.. it has 3 single coil pickups in it.. now i want to upgrade it.. n is it ok if i add a humbucker in the bridge position? and which humbucker should i use? and what should be my selection for the neck and middle pickups?
and wats the difference between "5-Way Split Coil Pickup Selector Switch" and "5-Way Pickup Selector Switch" ?

is dimarzio evo2 or Tonezone suitable for a strat?and ud they go with dimarzio area'61 pickups in the neck and middle position?coz they hav different output levels..

i m looking for a pickup which will carry the classic fender-ish tone but without hum..
and a humbucker which is good for heavy riffs soloing and ud be versatile depending on different ranges of amps and stomps.

:S i lyk the evo2 and tonezone.. i m deciding to install any one of them in the bridge.. but the thing is.. they hav a higher output level.. its 375mV.. ud it work with my stock fender neck and middle pickups?and i couldnt find any fender-ish neck pickup which ud balnce with a tonezone or evo2.

plz help me out!!!
peace
you know.. when you put your pickup selection in the 2nd and 4th position... your pickups are technically a humbucker setting
Quote by pepsi1187
you know.. when you put your pickup selection in the 2nd and 4th position... your pickups are technically a humbucker setting

+1
Very good, you get a gold star!

TS, the evo2 is too powerful for this and is not recomended to be used with two single coils. The Tonezone is a good choice in this case. But if you really wanna keep that Fender tone I have 2 recomendations.
1) Put a Fender Humbucker in there
2) Put a Dimarzio PAF Pro in there. That pickup does everything you asked it to do and also is perfect for matching with single coils
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I doubt either of those are really what you're looking for - look at the Dimarzio Norton or Fred, maybe the Duncan Custom Custom.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
:S dimarzio PAF pro or Norton??? :S help me out here~~~!!!!
well.. both pro and fred hav high-ish eq.. but i m actually lookin for a humbucker which ud giv me a thicker sound.. i lykd the eq and output level of Dimarzio air norton.. do u think it ud match wid my stock neck/middle p/u's ?
Since amplifiers shape tone more than pickups, telling us what amp you use would also help advice-givers.
Save up for an amp first. Then, you should put some thought into just getting a new guitar if you don't like yours after you try it with the new amp. Unless you do a mass overhaul on it, a Squier will still sound like a Squier, even with $100 pickups.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
Save up for an amp first. Then, you should put some thought into just getting a new guitar if you don't like yours after you try it with the new amp. Unless you do a mass overhaul on it, a Squier will still sound like a Squier, even with $100 pickups.

I tend to agree with the "amp first" mantra, but sawitching a single for a humbucker will make a noticeable difference...for me the Norton (not the Air Norton) is probably the standout candidate here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well.. i m willing to replace the neck n middle pickups with fender noiseless vintage pickups.. n they have a output level of 125mV each.. so if i throw a Norton in my bridge, which by the has a output level of 352mV!! :S udn't that b messy? i m thinkin bout Air Norton.. coz it has almost the same charactaristics of a Norton.. bt with an outputlevel of 275 .. so// i guess i m goin for a air norton.. unless someone comes up with a better suggestion..
Quote by steven seagull
I doubt either of those are really what you're looking for - look at the Dimarzio Norton or Fred, maybe the Duncan Custom Custom.

The Norton of the Custom Custom are good ideas, IMO.

If you adjust the pickup heights accordingly, you should do okay for output.
Here:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/pickupheight.jpg
Quote by pepsi1187

huh?

on a SSS strat type guitar?

i wish i had known that before i spent $100 US on Seymour Duncan TB11s Custom Custom.

kidding there,

my vote is the SD TB-11 (SH-11 but strat verion edit) CCs as i just got mine in the mail but have not had installed yet.

EDIT: ...if you want to got the HSS route that is

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 7, 2008,
bridge pickups are always higher output than neck, you just adjust the heights of the pickups until they all balance. I personally wouldn't put an Air Norton in the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc