Page 1 of 2
Blah Blah Blah etc etc...

Body: LPS Carved Top Flame Maple Top/Mahogany body ($305)
Neck: Lp 24 3/4" Maple Neck W. Matching Maple Fretboard ($173)
Pickups: Seymour Duncan '59 (Neck) and JB (Bridge) ($156)
Pickup Mount: Warmoth Tall Black Mounting Ring x2 ($7)
Bridge: Gotoh Tune-O-Matic & Stop Tail Piece ($26)
Tuners: Gotoh SG38 Tuners Black ($27)
Knobs: Warmoth Round Top/Dome Knobs Black x2 ($6)
Nut: Gibson Flat Graphtech Graphite Nut ($30)
Switch: Warmoth Straight LP Switch Black with Black Knob 1/2" mounting hole ($11.50)
Capacitators: Warmoth .047uf x1 ($0.50)
Strap Buttons: Schaller Strap locks Black ($13)
Wiring: Warmoth wiring ($5.95)
Pots: CTS 500k Pot x2 ($10)
Jack: Switchcraft Mono Jack ($3)

Total So Far: $773.5. Delivery will be about $150-200 I don't want to hit $1K!
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at May 20, 2008,
i recomend not painting but either stain or color nitrocellulose so that you can actually see that beautiful woodgrain. You can get either any color you like so the options are endless. I;m currently working on one that is forest green stained with a natural binding line around the body. After you stain it you gotta use sanding sealer and then many coats of nitrocellulose laquer. Wet sand it and buff it and you are done! It's all tough the first time but you'll get there! Check the building threads, there's tons of advice there and also www.stewmac.com is gonna be your best friend! Good Luck!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
...so that you can actually see that beautiful woodgrain....

Yeah, that marvelously gorgeous basswood...
Right, Sweet. I won't be having any of that un-needed over-complicating crap on my first build.
Are there any other parts I need but don't have up there?

Any helpful online videos on how to wire electronics etc. How many Tone/Volume should I have?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Yeah, that marvelously gorgeous basswood...
My first thought as well

Quote by -MintSauce-
Truss rod and truss rod cover?
Should be included with the neck.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
from the warmoth site:

Basswood (Tilia americana):
This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat® bodies under 4 lbs. The color is white, but often has nasty green mineral streaks in it. This is a closed-grain wood, but it can absorb a lot of finish. This is not a good wood for clear finishes since there is little figure. It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Sound-wise, Basswood has a nice, growley, warm tone with good mids. A favorite tone wood for shredders in the 80s since its defined sound cuts through a mix well.
you buy any of the parts yet? make sure you post pics!
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i would suggest either alder or swamp ash, both make beautiful stained bodies. im not sure about basswood.

and best of luck, i want to build one soon.
as color go white with black binding sounds cool
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
Ah right, thanks guys. Yeah truss/Truss Rod is included with neck, as is inlays and fretting.

Alder is $190 I think, Swamp Ash is $200. I could however get a carved veneer for an extra hundred bucks (£50). Personally, I would see this as a good price, as $305 isn't bad to a Flamed Maple top, carved top Doublecut body. I'm not sure about prices right now, but any help is appreciated. I might buy a few things now, as I have some saved up. I suppose, they won't be getting used for about 4 Months, but it's always nice to have something to mess around with. I've got about $250-260 right now, So I could get the pickups and some hardware if I wanted (:
Quote by Leadhead3225
as color go white with black binding sounds cool

No it doesn't. It looks extremely cool, though.
apparently, I'm not trusted enough to paint it myself (As I've never done more than my name in the streetlamp-light. Yeah, NOT REALLY)

I've never used paint laquer before, and I might just get a Matte white finish with All Black hardware, or a Green Burst

I wouldn't be able to get either with a carved top, not enough cash. Have to crap out.

Does anyone know how simple it would be for me to spray it white, and how much the paint/laquer would cost?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
In my opinion it's easier to get a good result with dye than with solid colors. At least if you're using flamed maple, it's very easy to dye and get an even amount of color over the whole body.
Which one is cheaper though?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Sorry for double post, But does anyone know how to finish an unfinished neck?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Sorry for double post, But does anyone know how to finish an unfinished neck?

Edit your posts in the future

Edit: Like this
i double post sometimes too... **** happens
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Does anyone have any good guides on how to finish a guitar? Is Matte finish easier?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Does anyone have any good guides on how to finish a guitar? Is Matte finish easier?

Matt and gloss finishes are equally as easy. Whether you want gloss, matt, or satin, you still need to clearcoat really.

For gloss, you use a gloss clearcoat. Matt would need a matt clearcoat, and satin would need a.. satin.. clearcoat.

LAWL

As long as you're patient and precise, you should get on just fine.
Ah sweet.

I'm 14 and have only ever used solder in school, supervised by a teacher, and sort of guided, will this guitar be any harder. I had to work with circuit boards however, but I had to use LEDs and crap. Reckon I can manage the guitar?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at May 7, 2008,
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Ah sweet.

I'm 14 and have only ever used solder in school, supervised by a teacher, and sort of guided, will this guitar be any harder. I had to work with circuit boards however, but I had to use LEDs and crap. Reckon I can manage the guitar?

Guitar wiring is easy as PIE. The hardest part is keeping everything tidy.
Ah right. Fair enough, I can get the schematics off Seymour Duncan site anyways. Accept friend invite dude

Anyways, I was going to go for a Matte White/Gloss White with All Black hardware. Because I'm getting Black everything (Pickups, Mounths, switch etc) it should look good iwth White. I heavily dislike my Squier (Black/White Guard). Anywyas, What do you guys think?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Ah right. Fair enough, I can get the schematics off Seymour Duncan site anyways. Accept friend invite dude

Anyways, I was going to go for a Matte White/Gloss White with All Black hardware. Because I'm getting Black everything (Pickups, Mounths, switch etc) it should look good iwth White. I heavily dislike my Squier (Black/White Guard). Anywyas, What do you guys think?

I have a white guitar fetish! White guitars look elegant and classy - much better than cliche black. Also, you can't lose if you just use a two-colour scheme. The only mild problem with white is that you have to get the finish PERFECT.
What do you mean by "Two-colour scheme"?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
"Two-colour scheme" means a colour scheme that has two colours. White and black in this case.

Pretty pleeaase do black binding...
I'll see. Is the doublecut as good a choice as a normal LOP body, or would I be more "unique" etc. I mean, anyone can be unique with a huge BC Rich, but it's a decent Unique. Like, where people respect you etc? I think It's a great body shape, but is it as easy to wire/harder to wire as a normal LP body?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^Huh? It's just a shape, man... It's no harder to wire than any other regular shape. And don't get it to be unique. Get it because you like it.

One thing to be wary of, however, is that a LP doublecut body has a weaker neck joint, but it's not really something that is too dire unless you handle it like an ogre.
Hahaha, Apparently Bolt ons can be stronger than Set Necks.

I'm definatley going for it. I'm not going to go all Adventurous on the paintjob incase I hash it, in which case, with my luck, I will.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Hahaha, Apparently Bolt ons can be stronger than Set Necks.

Of course they can, but it's not really a question of which method you use, but more about the amount of wood that supports it.

And I wouldn't say white with a black binding is adventurous. You'd be my hero (sorta) if you did that.
Haha, I'll see. Is it much harder to do a dye than a solid colour? I really want the simpliest way of doing it. I could however, take 50 quid off it (By getting a Flat Top) and put it towards my alreayd planned second build, a jaguar with Humbuckers.

But is it better to have a Flat or Carved top?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at May 12, 2008,
bump

COLOUR FOR PUPS?

The JB can be black, zebra (cream & black), reverse zebra and white as well as the following special order colors -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow

Unfortunatley the '59 can only be both black or zebra.

Bear in mind that I'm still doing white paintjob with all Black hardware.

Pick your favourite(s)
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at May 16, 2008,
^listen- you can subtract about $10 off of that by buying the duncans from somewhere else. or, you can subtract about $100 and go with GFS pickups. You can buy GFS pickups here:
guitarfetish.com
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Where else?
I thought $160 was good for Duncans. In the UK, I'd be paying $280

Anyways, Which are better?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
jb and a pearly gates in the neck or even a 59 would be nice
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
I AM Going for a JB/59 combo already
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
... Total So Far: $772. Delivery will be about $150-200 I don't want to hit $1K!

Whoa! That's a lot of $$$ for a first guitar from parts build; however, since you have the scratch, why the heck not? Warmoth is high quality, but a bit expensive for me.

I'm looking forward to this since I've always wanted a Double Cut. Make sure to get a PhotoBucket account so you can post massive amounts of pics ... always popular here.

Page 1 of 2