I have been playin guitar for a year now and am ready to upgrade a bit. I currently have a cheap peavey raptor plus exp and a roland cube 30x amp. I am pleased with my amp because it gets a good sound and i don't need anything real loud. I want to get a better guitar. I was thinking something like a epiphone les paul. Something with double humbuckers for that meatier sound than say a fender strat. If anyone could give me a few suggestions on what i should get that would be great.

Also price range probably something around 500-700.
Last edited by tomsy49 at May 5, 2008,
What music do you play?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I would say an ESP EC-400VF would do you quite nicely.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Ah sorry i'm more in to hard rock and metal but i also play some alternative rock to. But i'm more geared towards hard rock. Things like Ac/Dc, metallica, Disturbed, Three days grace, System of a down.
well you could get a cheap gibson SG for around 700 .. their a little thinner sounding then led pauls.. and their really awkward to play. but angus from ac.dc and eric clapton used a SG on most of the Cream songs.. so if you like that tone.. its yours
the Epiphone les paul custom is a good guitar for all of those styles but let me ask you 3 questions.
1) Do you like fat necks?

2) Are you physically strong or have alot of endurance?

3) Do you have any use at all for a locking trem?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I had the same guitar for my first one - then when with my Epi LP Studio next, and I was quite happy with the updgrage that later on I bought another LP

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
woot woot SOAD.

get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman.

The IC400 I have has dual pickups with tone controls, so you have the bridge pickup for more gain and crunchy distortion, and the bridge for the more deep, mellow tones.
Best of both worlds I think.
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
ESP's are the way to go if you don't like fat necks. Plus, ESP's have both Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield's signature guitar, so... ESP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, and they're around 400, so your under your price range.

Looks and plays great. Basically a Les Paul shaped funny.
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
Quote by Psycho4SOAD
woot woot SOAD.

get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman get an iceman.

The IC400 I have has dual pickups with tone controls, so you have the bridge pickup for more gain and crunchy distortion, and the bridge for the more deep, mellow tones.
Best of both worlds I think.

Dont you mean neck and bridge, unless they've managed to cram 2 pickups into one position
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Dont you mean neck and bridge, unless they've managed to cram 2 pickups into one position

Seth Lover did that once, and it changed the Universe! Humbuckers.....mmmm.... Thanks Mr. Seth Lover, thank you!
Ibanez RG370?
or maybe a hardtail version...
Unless you want to go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOOOOM! (That was a divebomb by the way)

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
To answer your questions ValoRhoads, I don't mind fat necks i have decent size hands and i do have good hand strength. AS for a locking trem i don't have any experience.
what are some good and affordable esp's? I have no experience with these guitars at all.
I have an Epi LP Standard and I play mainly hard rock type stuff and I love it. It's definitely the kind of guitar you have to try first though. The necks are fat, and the higher fret access is limited, but if you can get past that, it's an incredible guitar, especially with a pickup swap. I personally love the feel of the guitar, it wasn't love at first sight (or first play in this case), but it's an acquired feel and you will love it if you give it a chance.

On the other hand, you may never like it, me personally I couldn't play music without an LP handy, I love the tone and feel, and I'm about to trade in my Prestige for a Fender 50s Strat on thursday to compliment it.

Make sure you play all the LP's in your price range, the Customs are really nice guitars, and the Ultras are nice as well.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at May 5, 2008,
I'm not to fussy about looks as long as i can play the guitar i'll be happy
Quote by tomsy49
To answer your questions ValoRhoads, I don't mind fat necks i have decent size hands and i do have good hand strength. AS for a locking trem i don't have any experience.

in that case the Les Paul is right up your alley. No trem, big neck, it's got some weight to it. Chunky tone that will handle all the styles you mentioned. You sir are a Les Paul man! I say go for a Paul, and that's coming from a super strat addict!
thanks for the suggestions... i kind of thought that's what i should get
Not really, they are good guitars, but overall if you feel comfortable and you like it, then its 100% worth the money

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page