So Im traveling across the country, and I need a bass amp to take with me. I need to consider, most importantly - Weight (i'll be running and taking trains around a big city), and Cost (as im staying in a hostel for a month or two, and it'll probably get stolen at least once)

I'll be playing mostly small clubs with PA systems, so a small amp with an XLR direct out was what I was thinking of, possible under 30lbs? From what I've read here, Pignose amps may be too quiet to hear myself onstage, and most of the kickback Hartke's seem alittle heavy (im not that big!)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
If you're looking for light, then MarkBass are your best bet.

Not sure about cheap however...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yeah MarkBass or PJB make light and gigworthy amps but they will set you back quite a bit. Maybe look used?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Definitely go for a used Markbass.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
an ampeg combo might suit ur needs if the markbass is too expensive. but if ya got the cash go for the markbass. i've played on a few and i love them, except for the price tag.
GAS List:
Nothing
You can gig with a 112 tube amp if you mic it and put that thru the pa. Peavy makes a triple x that size that would work well.

Edit: oops, didn't realize you needed a bass amp
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
You can gig with a 112 tube amp if you mic it and put that thru the pa. Peavy makes a triple x that size that would work well.

Edit: oops, didn't realize you needed a bass amp

yeh bass forum, bit of a give away

anyway how portable do you want because the peavey tour series is apparently ridiculously light. they are advertised that you can carry the 4x10 cabs with 1 hand no trouble
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Perhaps a Fender Bassman 150 or 250? They are pretty light amps.

Markbass should be one of your main options too.

Perhaps you could get an Eden WT 260 or similar head and a cab to go with it?
You could get an Ashdown little giant or a Markbass head and some lightweight 110-112-210 (Warwick NEO 112 for example) cab.
If your bass it's gigbag got a big enough bag, you might be able to fit your head in that

That way you have a lightweight, easy transportable rig.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at May 5, 2008,
Didn't peavey have a lightweight bass cabinet or combo offering? I never played on it, but I remember it being advertised in all the gear mags at the time. Peavey's web site is off line at the moment, otherwise I'd have the exact model.
Quote by anarkee
Didn't peavey have a lightweight bass cabinet or combo offering? I never played on it, but I remember it being advertised in all the gear mags at the time. Peavey's web site is off line at the moment, otherwise I'd have the exact model.

yeah it's the peavey tour series that i mentioned. i only mentioned it because i was reading an old issue of BGM and it was in there
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Duff_Holiday
So Im traveling across the country, and I need a bass amp to take with me. I need to consider, most importantly - Weight (i'll be running and taking trains around a big city), and Cost (as im staying in a hostel for a month or two, and it'll probably get stolen at least once)

I'll be playing mostly small clubs with PA systems, so a small amp with an XLR direct out was what I was thinking of, possible under 30lbs? From what I've read here, Pignose amps may be too quiet to hear myself onstage, and most of the kickback Hartke's seem alittle heavy (im not that big!)

if your not using your own transport, i would get a good DI, such as a SansAmp
Bass Driver DI, and just rent a rig for the gigs that require it. Markbass does make a nice 2x10 combo,
but your gonna need a roadcase for it, or it will get destroyed on the road. carrying a bass amp on public trains and buses, does not sound like a practicle idea, to me.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
if your not using your own transport, i would get a good DI, such as a SansAmp
Bass Driver DI, and just rent a rig for the gigs that require it. Markbass does make a nice 2x10 combo,
but your gonna need a roadcase for it, or it will get destroyed on the road. carrying a bass amp on public trains and buses, does not sound like a practicle idea, to me.

^ Listen to this guy, he's a genius ^
Quote by Duff_Holiday

If mostplaces have a PA then they'll have foldbacks which means you don't really need an amp at all. Look at getting some sort of DI for your bass, something like a MXR M80 Bass DI, Distortion Channel, 3 band EQ, XLR out and if your not sure about the monitors invest in an in ear monitor system.

EDIT: Damn 83lespaulstudio beat me to it, but i would still suggest the MXR over the Sansamp, Sansamp only has a 2 band EQ
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I'm going to have to agree with the DI posts above. However, if you're stuck on getting an amp, check into the SWR LA series. It's decently light - my 15" is about 42 lbs - but its shape is much more conducive to being carried. And of course the 12" is lighter, around 30 lbs if I remember right. They're also built like tanks. $300 for my 100w 15". Not the most professional EQ and option-wise, but still sounds great, and puts out a lot of low end.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Markbass makes a 112 combo thats amazing. Its got a really long name that escapes me though. Its on their website and retails for around $750 i think. If I was in your situation this is the only amp i would consider. Super light, and sounds awesome.
My high-school marching band carried one of these to every game...awesome amp with great tone. This would be fine, especially if you got a small wheeled cart for it.
Nope, no sig here.
you could get an ashdown little giant i think its called and i saw a 4x8 cabinet in this music shop once which was handy light
IMO its no contest that you need a combo if your stuck on getting an amp. One less thing to carry. Either way, Mutant Corn has a good point in getting a cart. Ive been meaning to get one myself, not because Im in youre situation, but because Im lazy .
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
IMO its no contest that you need a combo if your stuck on getting an amp. One less thing to carry. Either way, Mutant Corn has a good point in getting a cart. Ive been meaning to get one myself, not because Im in youre situation, but because Im lazy .

I wouldn't call that lazy per se, but smart. I once strained my back lugging equipment for a gig, and now I always use a cart, esp. if the amps and gears don't have wheels.
thanks for the comments! Im leaning towards the DI/ear plug combo - never thought about that. Would be a whole lot easier to carry on the public transit!

Offtopic, anyone live in Montreal, maybe want to suggest a bassist to their friends? haha
Quote by IndianRockStar
Perhaps a Fender Bassman 150 or 250? They are pretty light amps.

Markbass should be one of your main options too.

Perhaps you could get an Eden WT 260 or similar head and a cab to go with it?

If the fender 150 bassman is light then i can't even imagine how heavy some of them are... Its such a pain to carry it places.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
If the fender 150 bassman is light then i can't even imagine how heavy some of them are... Its such a pain to carry it places.

I mean light compared to other amps of similar power. Like the Bassman 250 is around 60 lbs, which is the same as my Ampeg, but it has double the wattage.