Orange amps that is. I fell in love with the Orange Rockerverb 50 and i wanted to see what the skinny was on price. Well, after looking at the tag and ****ting my pants, i decided that i should try to work towards maybe a used one (saw they were $2,200-$2,300).

Having said that, im not a big fan of used things, especially when it comes to amps. I saw on the Orange site that the amps that are distributed throughout the US are actually built here in California! So, thinking logically, i could maybe possibly hopefully wishfully get one from them paying less because it is direct. Problem is, i dont know where that shop/factory is located.

My question being, does anyone know where that place is located in CA? Also, anyone get a good deal on their amp from a store they want to share, because you'd be my best friend in the whole wide world
I think that Chappers dude (don't remember his nick perfectly, RobChappers or something like that) knows a lot about Oranges, he's endorsed I believe. Check the Orange thread too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Orange amps that is. I fell in love with the Orange Rockerverb 50 and i wanted to see what the skinny was on price. Well, after looking at the tag and ****ting my pants, i decided that i should try to work towards maybe a used one (saw they were $2,200-$2,300).

Having said that, im not a big fan of used things, especially when it comes to amps. I saw on the Orange site that the amps that are distributed throughout the US are actually built here in California! So, thinking logically, i could maybe possibly hopefully wishfully get one from them paying less because it is direct. Problem is, i dont know where that shop/factory is located.

My question being, does anyone know where that place is located in CA? Also, anyone get a good deal on their amp from a store they want to share, because you'd be my best friend in the whole wide world

I live in St. Louis, and there's this little bittie whole in the wall music store (forgot name, will check l8tr) you walk into and it's Orange heaven. I mean everything, every tolex color you can imagine...It's jawdropping really. Almost as jawdropping as the price. BUT, owner said he'd work with anyone on a price...I still couldn't afford one
Nice sounding amps though. Really nice...
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I live in St. Louis, and there's this little bittie whole in the wall music store (forgot name, will check l8tr) you walk into and it's Orange heaven. I mean everything, every tolex color you can imagine...It's jawdropping really. Almost as jawdropping as the price. BUT, owner said he'd work with anyone on a price...I still couldn't afford one
Nice sounding amps though. Really nice...

Sounds like heaven I wish i knew what it looked like. Thanks though.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Sounds like heaven I wish i knew what it looked like. Thanks though.

I would love to post a pic. Trust me. People would be shocked. The guy must have spent a hundred plus thousand dollars on all of those. But, he's a die hard Orange fan. Gotta love what you sell I guess.
You know, being in California i expect to see something like that even up in LA or something. But i cant find one place. I mean they have all herd of it, but they dont carry it. The place a played the 50 at was Blue Guitar. The head alone was 1850 and i didnt even bother looking at the cab (at this point i was prarie-dogging). I can't find any other places that sell Orange here in San Diego. ARG!
Quote by dogismycopilot
Having said that, im not a big fan of used things, especially when it comes to amps.

All I hear is: "waaaaaah! wahhhh! i'm a big baby."

Anyway, I'm sure there's some in LA, they're just not listed as dealers. I don't remember seeing any when I was on Sunset...but even then, it's not like it would be cheaper.
I'll go ask some peoples...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
They're not real Orange unless they have a "Made in England" tag.

Wow. I did not know that! They are made elsewhere also? Do discuss...
Quote by forsaknazrael

Anyway, I'm sure there's some in LA, they're just not listed as dealers. I don't remember seeing any when I was on Sunset...but even then, it's not like it would be cheaper.
I'll go ask some peoples...

I am not a fan of used gear either. How does that make us a "baby"? That's a silly comment and defiantely just YOUR opinion.
What's silly is settling for inferior gear because you like how stuff smells when it's new.
Quote by Roc8995
What's silly is settling for inferior gear because you like how stuff smells when it's new.

Inferior gear? Huh? You lost me. What does the freakin' SMELL have to do with anything?
It was a joke. Please keep your panties unbunched.
My point was, if price is an issue, it's not smart to get something of lesser quality because of some strange aversion to buying used.
Quote by dogismycopilot

The manufacturer/distributor is likely not going to sell you anything due to possibly alienating their dealers (that's why Mesa won't sell online). I noticed there's no real Orange dealers near San Diego, but I'm sure there must be several in LA. There's one fully stocked Orange dealer in northern CA (Gelb Music in Redwood City-20 mi south of SF). If you're ever in nor-cal, they have everything in stock.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Roc8995
It was a joke. Please keep your panties unbunched.
My point was, if price is an issue, it's not smart to get something of lesser quality because of some strange aversion to buying used.

I agree with Colin. I could not have afforded either of my amps new. Bought them both on ebay for a fraction of the new cost. Both in absolutely mint condition & working trouble-free.
Don't decide what you want & settle for less. Work harder, be patient, & be resourceful, & get what you WANT.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog
I agree with Colin. I could not have afforded either of my amps new. Bought them both on ebay for a fraction of the new cost. Both in absolutely mint condition & working trouble-free.
Don't decide what you want & settle for less. Work harder, be patient, & be resourceful, & get what you WANT.

That's totally respectable. I've just gotten burned one too many times I think, or had bad luck.
I wouldn't settle for less over buying used though. I sure wasn't trying to say that to others.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
That's totally respectable. I've just gotten burned one too many times I think, or had bad luck.
I wouldn't settle for less over buying used though. I sure wasn't trying to say that to others.

Yeah, I got burned once on ebay (non-music stuff), but it was my own fault. I was a noob, & rolled the dice on a 1-feedback guy & lost $170 US. My own carelessness cost me. The main thing is to be patient. The right deals fall in your lap sometimes when you're sitting on enough cash. The week I found my Mojave Scorpion on ebay (very rare to find a Scorpion for sale used-I think less than 100 of them have been made), I was just fully drooling over it, & my wife said she'd kill me if I bought it. The very next day, I got rear-ended on the freeway, & within 24 hrs the insurance co said my car was totaled (bent the frame in the trunk, but on the outside the rear bumper was only slightly bent). Got a check for $5000, didn't do sh!t to fix the car (perfectly driveable), told my wife I was buying the Scorpion with the free money. She was still a bit pissed, but I didn't care. She got over it (she also got the other half of the money)!
Sorry about the long post, but you gotta love free amps!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
Yeah, I got burned once on ebay (non-music stuff), but it was my own fault. I was a noob, & rolled the dice on a 1-feedback guy & lost $170 US. My own carelessness cost me. The main thing is to be patient. The right deals fall in your lap sometimes when you're sitting on enough cash. The week I found my Mojave Scorpion on ebay (very rare to find a Scorpion for sale used-I think less than 100 of them have been made), I was just fully drooling over it, & my wife said she'd kill me if I bought it. The very next day, I got rear-ended on the freeway, & within 24 hrs the insurance co said my car was totaled (bent the frame in the trunk, but on the outside the rear bumper was only slightly bent). Got a check for $5000, didn't do sh!t to fix the car (perfectly driveable), told my wife I was buying the Scorpion with the free money. She was still a bit pissed, but I didn't care. She got over it (she also got the other half of the money)!
Sorry about the long post, but you gotta love free amps!

Wow glad that all worked out for you! I'm in shock you found a Scorpion on Ebay!
I would love to find something like that. When I could afford it of course.
Quote by forsaknazrael

This guy, at any given time, is filled with pure stupid. Don't listen to him, especially in a thread of mine.

Take that John! Ya!

I dont want it used not because it smells good (kinda) but i don't trust anyone really. I mean, if the perfect amp comes along sure i'll get it if it has a little wear and tear here and there front and back i don't care.

Am I crazy that i dont want to spend more than $1500 on one used?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I am not a fan of used gear either. How does that make us a "baby"? That's a silly comment and defiantely just YOUR opinion.

I'm messing with him, take it easy. We're in the same band.

Quote by dogismycopilot
This guy, at any given time, is filled with pure win.

Fixed.

Quote by dogismycopilot

I dont want it used not because it smells good (kinda) but i don't trust anyone really. I mean, if the perfect amp comes along sure i'll get it if it has a little wear and tear here and there front and back i don't care.

I always think, that, with the right amount of research, and if possible checking it out yourself (and knowing what to look for and what questions to ask...) you shouldn't ever get a bum deal.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Am I crazy that i dont want to spend more than $1500 on one used?

A little, yeah. They're great amps, so their resale value is still very high.
i own a tiny terror, and i have to say i am extremely happy with the thing

reason #1: it is only 15 watts, i can dime the bitch and get my totally driven tone without killing any bandmates

reason #2: it is class A with el84's, class A is punchier and very responsive, the el84's break real smooth

reason #3: it cost a fraction of the bigger oranges, like an actual fraction not just 1/1.5 the cost more like 1/4 or 1/5.

personally, i tried the rocker series amps and was not as impressed by them as i was with the tiny terror, at least try the thing out to see if you would dig on it

PS: i doesn't have a 'made in UK' sticker on it so it might not be a 'real' orange, but it sounds like one anyway
Quote by gumbilicious

reason #2: it is class A with el84's, class A is punchier and very responsive, the el84's break real smooth

It's class AB, which is funny since AB is generally "punchier" than A. The smoothness and response you're hearing are a product of the cathode bias- it's a very "singing" phenomenon, no? Glad you like it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm messing with him, take it easy. We're in the same band.

Fixed.

I always think, that, with the right amount of research, and if possible checking it out yourself (and knowing what to look for and what questions to ask...) you shouldn't ever get a bum deal.

A little, yeah. They're great amps, so their resale value is still very high.

Sorry. Sometimes I don't realize how I sound until I read a post back later. I had bad luck with used stuff so I steer way clear now
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at May 6, 2008,
Quote by Roc8995
It's class AB, which is funny since AB is generally "punchier" than A. The smoothness and response you're hearing are a product of the cathode bias- it's a very "singing" phenomenon, no? Glad you like it.

punchy was a bad term, responsive would be more appropriate. my class a amps just seem to be more 'there' than my music man, 'there' i guess would be defined as they react more to my dynamics.
I believe Class does have an effect on the amp, but the same effects can be achieved otherwise too, so the Class doesn't really matter. It's down to the individual amps really.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.