Page 1 of 2
So what are your ideas on guitarists who play in front of massive walls of Marshaall stack amps or whatnot? necessary or just showing off? I agree with my Keyboardist, who said 'Guitarists clearly just have massive walls of amps to hide the fact that they have small penises'
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Almost all for show, guitarist usually use a maximum of four out of the probably 10 or more shown.

Its usually just to take up more space on stage and look cool. Most are dummies anyways, just a box with a logo slapped on.
I'm pretty sure that some of them are fake. I know I wouldn't want to fall off the stage when I hit an E5.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Yeah, my guitar teacher said they are just for show. He said half the time the guys are playing through a solid state lol.
id say there real just not plugged in possibly for back up however saying that when queen played wembely stadium the old one duh he had a huge amount of amps all connected
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I THINK ITS HARDCORE TO THE MAX!!
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by TheQuailman
It just looks nicer than an empty stage. If you play a gig, you're better off using one speaker cab and micing it anyway.

This is what most pros do and mostly that amp is not on the stage. Usually all of the ones on the stage aren't even amps, they are props that loo exactly like amps but have no guts. At the end of some BLS shows, Zakk will pass them out to the crowd.

Whether it's good or not is up to the beholder. I think it's cool but I wouldn't do it myself. I'd rather have a screen with images behind me. Old stage fright trick, give the crowd something else to look at!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at May 5, 2008,
Well I don't know about you guys, but I use a wall of amps to make up for my tiny penis.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
most of thme are fake, only about 40% are usually real. the others just empty cabs, it makes the show seem louder and more intense. and an empty stage doesn't look good
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Screw Marshalls...

Its all about the Vox wall.

EDIT: and yes mostly they're for show. In this pic its clear only the front three amps are mic'd.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by AvengedThrice
Well I don't know about you guys, but I use a wall of amps to make up for my tiny penis.

ahaha
well done
ahaha
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by TheQuailman
If you play a gig, you're better off using one speaker cab and micing it anyway.
Is that where you slowly fill the stage with mice, or what?

I never knew "mice" was a verb.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Well if it's at a show, it's probably note the guitarist's decision to have all of them.

Otherwise, I know that many people who play desert rock and doom like to have the wall of sound, specially with the low downtunings and fuzz. It's like this: if you have a big amp and say a full stack, you stop just listening with your years but with your body.

I mean who here doesn't like the feel of soundwaves pounding through your body.

*Insert back to the future vid here*

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by snipelfritz
Screw Marshalls...

Its all about the Vox wall.

EDIT: and yes mostly they're for show. In this pic its clear only the front three amps are mic'd.

well i had a a marshall for a good time but my Dad took it off me because it was actually his and he has moved out, and now i have a vox, i like both of them but i have to say the marshall just packed more of a punch, but then again i brought the Vox valvetronix it may just be that model, i Didnt want to bankrupt my Dad when i was getting me a new amp for my birthday
Quote by bnull24
Yeah, my guitar teacher said they are just for show. He said half the time the guys are playing through a solid state lol.

They're for show, yeah, but still 95% of people you see playing live with an amp wall are still playing through tube amps. Maybe through a combo, but not an SS..
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
You have to admit the guitarist looks pretty sweet when they're playing awesome and they have a wall of amps behind them. Of course if their playing is terrible it just makes them look like they're compensating for their crappy skills.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Local666Union
More amps=Bigger penis. True story.

Really?

...Err...

Anyone know where I can buy a 10watt practise amp?
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by thsrayas
You have to admit the guitarist looks pretty sweet when they're playing awesome and they have a wall of amps behind them.

Only if you're stupid enough to think that the amps behind or anything at all matter other than the sound
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Not bad, kudos for your style!
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

oh sure. you mice, i mice, he/she mices, miceOLOGY- the study of MICING! it's first grade!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
I remember reading an interview of Van Halen once. He said that although he had quite a few on stage, only like 2 or 3 were on at a time. They were all connected to a switchboard so he could "replace" one if an amp blew a tube. But I read that a while ago, so it may not be completly accurate.
Quote by GiantRaven
Only if you're stupid enough to think that the amps behind or anything at all matter other than the sound

So it would be OK if the amps were powered using electricity generated by burning orphaned children?
depends on the show. Brian May for example uses a wall of Vox AC30s, all of which are turned on and very much in use. they're used for a variety of things though, with different pedals running through different amps and other effects in their own amps and things like that.

others do it for the look, and because a wall of marshall stacks seems the rock'n'roll thing to be doing.

others just have no respect for the road crew or the amp techs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by MightyAl
So it would be OK if the amps were powered using electricity generated by burning orphaned children?

How else do you power your amps?
I'm not sure, all I know is I want all the walls in my house to be made of *quality* amps.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
It was a fashion thing. It's very much gone out of fashion the last couple of years, it seems.
If you see some of the guys, they'll even say that only a couple of them are mik'ed, the rest are just to look badass.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
I'm not sure, all I know is I want all the walls in my house to be made of *quality* amps.

....I don't know about you, but I want mine to be made out of sheet rock.

Roof leaking ftl.
Quote by GiantRaven

ya which is why all good concerts involve the band sitting in plain chairs on an empty stage but playing accurately
Quote by rage6945
girls dont get braces in their vaginas buddy
Quote by rhcpwhitey
ya which is why all good concerts involve the band sitting in plain chairs on an empty stage but playing accurately

Ok, you got me
Those are dummy cabs, playing in front of a wall of 7,536 Marshalls would really f*ck up the mix.

Although in some old AC/DC video I think Malcolm had 5 or 6 JTM45 heads stacked up by the drums, all plugged into a wall of cabs behind him. I don't know if a couple of those were backups or what.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by BobChicken
So what are your ideas on guitarists who play in front of massive walls of Marshaall stack amps or whatnot? necessary or just showing off?
Showing off, of course. Wouldn't you?

Quote by BobChicken
I agree with my Keyboardist,
You realize that by admitting you agree with a keyboardist
it makes you look just as naive, nerdy, and uninformed as a keyboardist, right?

Quote by BobChicken
who said 'Guitarists clearly just have massive walls of amps to hide the fact that they have small penises'
No, sunshine. The amps are behind. Hence the name "backwall".
You can't hide behind something that's behind you, dumbshit.

The sausage I have taped to my leg under my trousers is how I hide the fact that I have a small penis.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Page 1 of 2