I need to get a summer job sorted early.
I was wondering the best way to get a job related to music. Preferably something more on the engineering side. I'm 19, doing mechanical engineering at university and so will have a year done for the summer, which is good because I don't want to do any shop assistant type thing.

Working in some sort of custom guitar shop would be perfect but sounds a like a bit of a stretch. Either way, how do I find these places and apply to them.
And what other jobs are there out there that meet my description. (Basically, music/instrument related but not just working behind a counter in a store)
F*ck that, grow some chest hair and be a LUMBERJACK.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Research some sound engineering companies in your area. No one will give you a real job, but you might be able to score a neat internship. You need to go talk to your internship/career representatives at your university for more details. A bunch of 14 year-old pit-boys won't give you the answer you are looking for.

Quote by SkyValley
F*ck that, grow some chest hair and be a LUMBERJACK.

See what I mean...

No offense SkyValley. I think being a lumberjack is the coolest profession possible.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It would be easier to just work behind the counter in a music store. If the store manager knows you know your stuff, that'll help. I don't know what quals you need to be a tech, though. Stuff like setting up, you might be able to tech as...beyond that, I have absolutely no clue how much faith they'd have in you not cocking up guitars?

Worth a shot to ask, but they'll probably point to the counter.
I know, it's just a Pit rule. 1st response in advice threads must be ridiculous.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by Mazzakazza
It would be easier to just work behind the counter in a music store. If the store manager knows you know your stuff, that'll help. I don't know what quals you need to be a tech, though. Stuff like setting up, you might be able to tech as...beyond that, I have absolutely no clue how much faith they'd have in you not cocking up guitars?

Worth a shot to ask, but they'll probably point to the counter.

Well yeah I'm not expecting to be putting together any guitars, but getting a look in and taught how to do stuff would be cool.
i worked for gibson in the repair shop, that pays well and is quite fun actually becasue they required me to test it for half an hour before it got shipped back. you solder, trim, screw some **** in, then just jam and tune it. but i see your in the UK so try a local company
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by surge666
i worked for gibson in the repair shop, that pays well and is quite fun actually becasue they required me to test it for half an hour before it got shipped back. you solder, trim, screw some **** in, then just jam and tune it. but i see your in the UK so try a local company

That would be so friggin awesome.
Go around all your local Guitar centers and ask if they have any spare places.
ahh no, college will be over for me in over a month. i'll have to get a full-time job then.

sodding nothing here. i'm looking in the recruitment section of the local papers though. maybe you should try that.
Quote by darkstar2466
No offense SkyValley. I think being a lumberjack is the coolest profession possible.

damn right it is
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Last edited by irongoat666 at May 5, 2008,
Thats a long-shot for a part time occupation in my opinion. After your course and you're wanting to find full-time work then I'd go for it. All the jobs I had back in college were crap, just to get me through.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know