When someone asks you to play something on bass, not understanding that its not as much of a solo instrument as say the guitar, specially at a basic level, what do you do?

People are always asking me to play something, and I can't play many solos yet
Just play something that sounds cool. I usually play Can't stop, it's easy and sounds semi impressive.

Or tell them to screw off.
not so much as play a solo but just have some tunes that maybe they'd recognize. i'm not saying you have to impress them, but if you want to show them some songs try some chili pepper lines or something that sound cool and they would know what song it's from. otherwise, just improv a solo right then and there :P
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
the song "fifteen" by aiden has a cool sounding and easy solo in it. letterbomb by greenday. alot of blink stuff has cool bass. learn at your own speed. if they ask you to play something, be honest and say "ok, but im not that good, i havent played to long" because if you brag about extensive stuff you say you can do but you cant or you barly can, they will have HIGH expectations
HiMyNameIsMatt
The Chicken by Jaco is good fun and not too hard
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
I poo on my bass.

That's right. I poo.

It takes people off guard
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Just play the intro to peace sells or black dog, some easy but recognizable songs. Maybe go up or down a few scales really fast(make sure they don't play an instrument for this one).
Ooh, Soul to Squeeze by RHCP. It's really quite easy, but it is the motion of that song.

And if they don't know it, be like "...Duh, it's Soul to Squeeze by RHCP. Don't you know what music is?" That way, they'll know you're a good bassist AND know more about life than they do.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Play something they know, they'll think you are good. Play...

Another one bites the dust and Seven nation army (REALLY STOP BUGGING IF IT"S BASS OR NOT) people will recognize those and think you'are a pretty cool guy.
I always play odd bits of stuff, like the guitar bridge from High on Fire's "The Face of Oblivion" or the acoustic part from Kyuss' "Space Cadet".
people are usually more impressed by easy stuff they know than hard stuff they don't.
play "Happy Birthday", everyone knows it, no one expects it, and it is really easy. that should probably be on the basslines to learn thingie...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
most non-bass players are impressed with ANY slap bass, like "play that funky music".
i just slap about the fretboard, like i know what i'm doing, little do they know.....
the rat bastards.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I'll usually just wank around. Eventually, they lose interest and leave.

I mean, that is the end result you're aiming for, right? Sounds good to me.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
if they're my friends and i'm in a good mood i'll play Back In Black or Iron Man as those are the only main stream songs i know. (easy as ****, but everyone thinks they're really tough for some reason) If it isn't someone i know, i'll play Hammer Smashed Face. i
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I'll usually just wank around. Eventually, they lose interest and leave.

i agree! genius.
found only on UG Bass, tell your friends!
A|--0----0----0----0------------------|
E|-----0----0----0----0--2--4---------|

Times a billion and switching strings
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
A|--0----0----0----0------------------|
E|-----0----0----0----0--2--4---------|

Times a billion and switching strings

You mean I'm not the only polka man here? Hallelujah!
Quote by Hergiswi
You mean I'm not the only polka man here? Hallelujah!

I just started playing it out of nowhere one day, I know no more in that style.....On guitar I like to do some upbeat upstrokes on barre chords.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Prison song my S.O.A.D was pretty easy that is the first song i learned its all about timing. Also look up some bass scales like there is a cool blues one on here that i found and i play that when some asks me to play something.
I usually make a funny face and play feel good inc. or some other stupid riff
Nope, no sig here.
Anything involving slap. They instantly start praising you because it sounds "totally cool, dude."
Dance, Dance... Either because everyone knows it, or itll piss off all my metalhead friends .
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Lacquer head, becuase non bassists assume I'm a genius when I play it, or if I'm in a good mood,I have been known to rip out the Inspector Gadget theme, happened the other day,on a slow afternoon in Fair Deal Music,and the entire shop started watching and listening,it's a bangin' tune
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
hmmm.... im gnna go home today and learn inspector gadget, lol.

but i usually play Aeroplane by RHCP, or another RHCP tune.

pretty much anything involving slap ill play, cuz then ppl think ur a God.
At soundcheck before gigs when you're faced with this question I just play the basslines to one of my bands songs generally. Good warmup to play what youre about to be faced with and it gets you friendly with the fretboard for your basslines in that light.

I've played venues with the worst lighting in the world and it was wholey terrible where you cant see where youre playing! Since then my band has done "blind rehearsals". You gotta play the song without opening your eyes, it's really interesting to do and if you can play without looking, you can play while moving around, singing, anything really, just takes practise.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Motown licks, usually either Bernadette, Just a Little Misunderstanding or Nowhere to Hide. I like playing them and they make me smile.

Or I'll just go off on an extended 12 bar blues jam of my own design.
Playing 6-string fretless, I usually get "play something by Primus" in a 'so you think you're good tone'. Then I usually slap the open B and let it ring and act like I just played something really impressive.
If it's friends or at a jam, I usually play the intro of "Blister In The Sun" with tapped harmonics.
Shred.
Music Myspace

Quote by Kensai
Just don't do it in las vegas, new york or miami. Their CSI teams will find you and hunt you down without mercy.
Only Ash Remains is always fun.

And the mother****ing Harry Potter theme! That is just the ultimate song to play.
Country Song - Blink 182
Try singing it as well :p

Cars is quite a good tune as quite a few people know it...
if its to musician dudes, higher ground by RHCP. If its to metalheads, Battery by Metallica or Cowboys from Hell by Pantera, the post solo bit