I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My parents promised me I could get something for a hobby I want to start. I have two choices, start guitar or airbrushing. Now, I've always been interested in guitar but picked up a crappy $50 acoustic years ago and I quit after a month because I got discouraged so I'm scared I will want to quit again. Except this time I would get electric, but that's about $700-ish to get a good guitar and amp plus accesories, but I could finance it or use some plan from a store to not pay for a while with no interest.

Airbrushing is a hobby I've been learning about for a while. I'm a regular member of the forums and have been interested in it for a while. $300 could get me a good beginner setup and I could make money airbrushing. It seem like such a great hobby. I've having a lot of trouble deciding what I should do.

I know this is a guitar forum, but it's one of the only places I can ask. Please don't be biased toward guitar and give explanatory answers.
Airbrushing is more of a you have it or you don't. If you don't, then its $300 down the drain. Whereas with guitar, if you can't write music well, you can still play covers and join a band where someone else writes.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
airbrushing.
dunno what it is but if you can make money off it you can use that to buy a guitar
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Results in Airbrushing would probably come a lot slower than playing the guitar, but I can imagine creating a piece of art through Airbrushing would be slightly more rewarding than playing a solo or riff that is rather impressive on a guitar.

(Or you could just do both, maybe a very cheap beginners electric guitar and amplifier and the airbrush set?)
use that old acoustic to relearn guitar, and get the airbrush setup.

you get both then
Quote by MerriQ
Results in Airbrushing would probably come a lot slower than playing the guitar, but I can imagine creating a piece of art through Airbrushing would be slightly more rewarding than playing a solo or riff that is rather impressive on a guitar.

(Or you could just do both, maybe a very cheap beginners electric guitar and amplifier and the airbrush set?)

Use this answer.
why cant you do both?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by Magic Jim
airbrushing.
dunno what it is but if you can make money off it you can use that to buy a guitar

We must frame you and have you put in a museum!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Get an "ok" guitar with one of those mini-amp stack things from marshall, like £30 over her in UK, then u can still afford an airbrush set.

What have your parents got to do with this if YOU'RE paying for it?
You quit your $50 dollar acoustic after a month, now you might get $700 worth of guitar equipment?
You don't need $700 for a beginner guitar/amp setup. Maybe $200-$300 would set you off alright.
Oh Shit!
$700 for your first electric guitar when you don't even know how to play?!?!

Learn on your acoustic or if you really want an electric get a relatively cheap starter pack. At least if you quit (can't see why you would really) then you haven't wasted too much money.

Also, $700 - the cheap electric will probably = <$300 so you can do the airbrushing thing, whatever that is, aswell.

Yay, everyone's happy!
12345abcd3

PS. If you get a really expensive guitar then quit other guitarists will think you're a tool, or at least i would.
My parents are paying for it. Yes, you may think I'm a snobby, rich person, but I'm not. I get straight 4's, honor rolls, etc. It's been a while since my parents actually bought something that I really want, and they kind of want to. Airbrushing has a quick learning curve, in about a month, you could be spraying out pretty good paintings. $700 is not for the guitar only. I meant $400 for the MIM HSS Strat, a Vox AD15VT and other accesories. I was only estimating when I said a month of guitar. It was probably about 2-3 months and I was very frustrated when the guitar couldn't even stay in tune for more than 3 minutes. I could possibly use the money from airbrushing to buy a guitar. However, if I was to split it, I would get like a Yamaha FG720S and a few accesories, and then for about $300 a airbrushing setup. However, I don't think my parents will want me to do both at the same time. I really just wanted to know what you guys think. Also, yes I know the "go with what you want" message I hear a lot, but really I'm just getting a few opinions or pros/cons to help me decide. Again, I do plan to do both eventually, I just don't know which one to start with.
Last edited by gtwosaints at May 5, 2008,
Quote by gtwosaints
My parents are paying for it. Yes, you may think I'm a snobby, rich person, but I'm not. I get straight 4's, honor rolls, etc. It's been a while since my parents actually bought something that I really want, and they kind of want to. Airbrushing has a quick learning curve, in about a month, you could be spraying out pretty good paintings. $700 is not for the guitar only. I meant $400 for the MIM HSS Strat, a Vox AD15VT and other accesories. I was only estimating when I said a month of guitar. It was probably about 2-3 months and I was very frustrated when the guitar couldn't even stay in tune for more than 3 minutes. I could possibly use the money from airbrushing to buy a guitar. However, if I was to split it, I would get like a Yamaha FG720S and a few accesories, and then for about $300 a airbrushing setup. However, I don't think my parents will want me to do both at the same time. I really just wanted to know what you guys think. Also, yes I know the "go with what you want" message I hear a lot, but really I'm just getting a few opinions or pros/cons to help me decide. Again, I do plan to do both eventually, I just don't know which one to start with.

Firstly, if people call you a snobby rich person it's only because theyre jelous.

If you already quit guitar then you might want to do the airbrushing because there is a chance you'll just quit again.

When you were getting frustrated with playing guitar did you really think "This would be so much easier with a better guitar"? Or were you thinking "This is so hard"? Because getting a better guitar will make learning more enjoyable but not as much more as you would think, and it doesn't make the learning process much easier either.

Also, do you listen to a lot of music with guitars and wanted to play those songs or did you just think guitar looked and sounded cool? There is nothing wrong with the latter but playing music you know and love does usually give a reason not to give up(i want to be able to play this song by the end of the month ect.).

Try and persuade your parents to let you do both (how old are you?) but i think you should consider whether you really want to play guitar.

12345abcd3

Ps, Try and find your old guitar and start learning on that again and see if you like it.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Firstly, if people call you a snobby rich person it's only because theyre jelous.

If you already quit guitar then you might want to do the airbrushing because there is a chance you'll just quit again.

When you were getting frustrated with playing guitar did you really think "This would be so much easier with a better guitar"? Or were you thinking "This is so hard"? Because getting a better guitar will make learning more enjoyable but not as much more as you would think, and it doesn't make the learning process much easier either.

Also, do you listen to a lot of music with guitars and wanted to play those songs or did you just think guitar looked and sounded cool? There is nothing wrong with the latter but playing music you know and love does usually give a reason not to give up(i want to be able to play this song by the end of the month ect.).

Try and persuade your parents to let you do both (how old are you?) but i think you should consider whether you really want to play guitar.

12345abcd3

Ps, Try and find your old guitar and start learning on that again and see if you like it.

I quit because it was too difficult to play. I never even know what a Fender Strat was at that age. I only learned about gear in the past few years. I don't mostly listen to guitar, but still do enjoy it often and want to play it, but part of me is the idea that guitar looked and sounded cool. My parents do let me do both, but I cannot get them both at the moment or for a while. I might use the airbrushing as a hobby and to make a decent amount of money until I CAN get a job (i cant as of now because of laws)/
I'd just upgrade to an acoustic (a better one), and get the airbrush stuff.

Theres really no point of upgrading to a good electric, in my opinion, if you don't know the straight basics. I think that's why I had a really hard time learning when I started; I had an electric that I thought I could shred the **** out of, but couldn't.

I don't know though, that's just me.

edit: also consider getting lessons if you get frustrated with learning guitar.
LARGE TEXT
You don't have the ear in the beginning to even know a 50 dollar guitar sounds bad, unless you got ear training elsewhere. For that reason, I'm thinking you just don't want to put effort into in. Try the airbrushing, just don't get a 50 dollar set, cuz it will paint bad.
^ He said he would spend $300 on the set mate. And why the hell not can't you hear whether something sounds bad.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .