want to buy a LP,

if gibson can only afford LP Studio but heard they've got bad reviews,

should i save money and buy an epiphone,

playing blues,rock (hendrix,zeppelin etc.)

epiphone or gibson?
Gibson. Always better then epiphone. Way better.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
If you don't have enough money for a Gibson Les Paul Standard, then get an Epiphone. Standard, Custom and Ultra are good.
Get a $600 Epiphone custom. It's actually worth $600. A $1700 gibson is not worth $1700.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
For the price of a Gibson Studio you could get one of the nicer Epiphones or another nice brand like Tokai, Agile, Vintage or ESP, and upgrade the pickups with the money you save. I don't think the Studio is worth bothering with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
studios can be good if u try em urself to make sure ur getting a gem

but yeah, try and see if you can get a japanese tokai
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by MrFlibble
For the price of a Gibson Studio you could get one of the nicer Epiphones or another nice brand like Tokai, Agile, Vintage or ESP, and upgrade the pickups with the money you save. I don't think the Studio is worth bothering with.

You think that or you read that somewhere or you know that?
Studio's are good guitars. The studio is nothing different than the std except for binding and other pickups (read: other, not worse). And just like the standard, you have bad ones, and splendid ones. And imo, a 800$ gibson is a damn better deal than a 600$ epi (that has flame veneer, crap wood, crap pickups and crap electronics).
About the Tokia and Vintage: Its true that these brands along with Burny and Orville make good instruments, but better than gibson... i dunno yet. But they are absolutely better than epi's
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Personally, I'd go with an Epiphone Elitist, they're fantastic. In my opinion, anything Gibson which is a lower model than the standard isn't worth buying, because there is better out there.
Quote by AdamDK
Personally, I'd go with an Epiphone Elitist, they're fantastic. In my opinion, anything Gibson which is a lower model than the standard isn't worth buying, because there is better out there.

+1
I'm pretty sure the Studio has quality cut in other ways too. A Studio here costs less then half the price that a Standard does, and I can't believe they can take off more then half the price just by not having binding and using different pickups (especially since the pickups they use in the Studio cost the same here as the pickups used in the Standard so in fact those are a moot point). They're going to have to be skimping on the quality of the wood or the other hardware. OR they're just drastically overpricing the Standards, but I don't think that's the case.

When I bought my Epi LP (Joe Perry signature - which uses Gibson Burstbuckers, and I do advise anyone who gets an Epi to upgrade pickups to something like these), I was picking between this, two Gibson Studios, and I was tempted by a Gibson Standard too. The Gibson Standard was way better then the Epi or either of the Studios, but it also cost over twice as much, which I decided wasn't worth it. Epi vs Studios, the Studios cost £200 more, and I thought both of them were worse. The Epi I ended up buying had a much more pleasing tone, felt and played much better, and seemed more solidly built. The Studios just felt very cheap, they were lighter (which is something I don't trust at all), there were bubbles in the finishes on both of them, the pickup selector on one of them made an obnoxious popping sound that did come through the amp, and so on.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^Im sorry to hear that, sounds like a terrible story. And im sure it can be true what you say because there are alot of bad studio's out there. But the point is: its not only the studio's. Back when i was going to the shop for an LP, i tested 23 different gibsons LP's. And yes, there were studio's that werent even worth looking at, but there were studio's that played better than any other std in the whole shop. They could even match the customs. So that brings us to the standards: Yes. I do think so that the standards are just overpriced. And the customs even more. Hell, i would even say that the studio and the classics are the only gibsons that MAYBE arent overpriced.
The only thing that makes me say that is because of the 5 studios i played and the 16 standards, 2 studio's played better than or as good as all other 16 standards. The only gibson that beated them all was my Classic. ;D

I might get alot of angry responses to this post, but i dont care. I know these are facts. And i do not believe just internet tales. I felt these facts with my own hands.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 5, 2008,
Honestly, Gibsion LP Studios are good guitars, but they're so overpriced that they aren't worth buying in any situation in my opinion. For the same price you can get a much better guitar. I'd suggest getting a nice Epiphone LP and swapping the pickups, or if you want to wait, save and buy a Gibson LP Standard. Again, there's nothing wrong with LP Studios, the reason why people hate on them is because of the price tag, definitely a quality guitar, but would only be a smart buy if they were $300-400 cheaper.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
I would look for Edward Les Paul. It's the Japanese ESP division.
Or why not try out a Hagstrom Swede? Not exactly look like a Les Paul but pretty damn close I say.

Gibson Studio has very dodgy quality control nowadays. It's ok if you can try it before putting down money but if you're ordering online you're playing the lotto.
Hagstrom Select Super Swede with Seymour Dunc's stock FTW
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by GraceKim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE

This is a video of a guy comparing the Gibson Les Paul to the Epiphone.

My two cents are to save for the Gibson. If you get an Epiphone now, you'll have an excellent guitar. But let's face it. You know and I know that later you'll want to upgrade to that Gibson. It would be prudent in the long run to just save up to get the Gibson you want.

I'm diggin the corvus in the background of the video.
I love the no frills look and feel of the Gibson Studio (same PUs as the obscenely expensive Supreme's 490R & 498T) and I haven't met a Studio I didn't like.

At the same time, the MIJ Epi LP Elite (the one with the same headstock as the Gibsons) is an outrageously nice guitar for the price, comes with Burstbucker Pros or Burstbucker 1 & 2. Some people love Gibson PUs, some don't, it's always preference.

For the Bang for the $$$, I highly recommend the MIJ Epi LP Elite (not Elitist). They show up on eBay at about the same price as the MIC Elitist but the difference is very noticeable. The MIC and MIK ones are very good, but they haven't come that close to MIJ quality.

Some folks have mentioned other MIJ LP copies ... based on selling prices, the top of the heap are the Burnys (Super Grade) and Orvilles (Gibson Japan), then you have the Tokais, Grecos, and Edwards.

If you have the chance, go for the MIJ Epi, better-looking headstock, too.

Get an elitist epi LP, will save you some money, just as good quality
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Man, I'm just sittin here jammin on my Studio and laughin at you'all.
Quote by Ippon
I love the no frills look and feel of the Gibson Studio (same PUs as the obscenely expensive Supreme's 490R & 498T) and I haven't met a Studio I didn't like. ...

Quote by uldhppi
Man, I'm just sittin here jammin on my Studio and laughin at you'all.