I've been having trouble with something latley and I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain it right but anyways...

A lot of metal/hardcore I've been learning recently has riffs where you alternate from playing a fret on say the fifth string to playing an open note on the sixth string...over and over.

When I listen to the songs it sounds like only the 5th string is being played except a bit beefier.

Anytips on doing that? (how to do it faster, pick position, etc.)
Hold the pick firmly and at a 'right angle' (90 degrees) to the string. Practice the riffs slowly with a metronome and speed up over time as your picking action gets better.

Edit: Also, only use down-strokes rather than alternate picking.
Last edited by G-Dog_666 at May 5, 2008,
up pick on the 5th, down pick on the 6th, up down up down etc.. takes practice to make it not sound sloppy. speed and pick position are really subjective
Quote by nyandres
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZMHePRNb8A4

On the above video i show my picking technique. My method allows one to do that really fast. Look at around 1:50. Im pretty sure thats what you are referring to.

ive heard that technique can be bad for your joints, although i do it too sometimes.
also, that part you are mentioning it is hard to distinguish when and where you are picking up or down
Quote by theshroomman
ive heard that technique can be bad for your joints, although i do it too sometimes.
also, that part you are mentioning it is hard to distinguish when and where you are picking up or down

Its actually way more comfortable than pure downpicking. Most people do that by down picking. But this is way faster, and can be painless even after hours of picking. And most people that alternate pick such riff get a tone nothing like downpicking. As you can see in the video, the way im mentioning gives the same downpicked tone but with more ease.
if u need a song to practice that technique, try unholy confessions by avenged sevefold, that song helped me alot w/ that
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112