i want a good metal distortion pedal since my mg100dfx's distortion doesn't cut it for metal. so i want a pedal that doesn't sound too thin or digital *cough*metal zone*cough*. and it can't be one of those pedals that only sounds good through a gigantic tube amp. i've heard metal muff is good, but i've never tried it so if u got any ideas tell me.
I'd go Metal Muff. it is a bit high end and trebly, so if that isn't what you're looking for, be warned!
Boss Metal Zone isn't too thin, depends on the guitar. I used a a Strat and got a good sound.
Jacques Circuit Blower should be good. If you can try it out, do. Otherwise, it seems like a good pedal.
Better yet, sell your MG and use the money gained + the money you would spend on a pedal to get a small valve amp that can do metal, eg Laney LC or VC.
Quote by blue_strat
Better yet, sell your MG and use the money gained + the money you would spend on a pedal to get a small valve amp that can do metal, eg Laney LC or VC.

this
tube distortion will beat any metal muff or metal zone by a mile
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by blue_strat

+1000

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by blue_strat

+1
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by pwrmax
Boss Metal Zone isn't too thin, depends on the guitar. I used a a Strat and got a good sound.

You've evidently been using a different Metal Zone to the one I've had the misfortune of encountering - thinnest, buzziest piece of crap I ever plugged into.

Rocktron Zombie or Silver Dragon, Protone Body Rot, Landmine...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive heard the distortion on the VK isnt all that great...is this just because its better than the mg, but not as good as other tube jobs?
if i could, i'd get a krank or something, but i just bought this amp and it would take me ages to get a tube amp so for now i'm just gonna keep on looking for a nice, crunchy pedal
take the amp back man. that's why you have a money back guarantee for so many days. take it back, get a tube combo amp. you CAN afford one at that budget, don't be fooled. do it NOW. haha.

and i'll say my opinion on distortion pedals like i do ANY time:

distortion pedals do nothing more than MIMIC or IMITATE the sound of a nice hi gain tube amp. they, however, do NOT usually sound 'nice'. why get a pedal that IMITATES a sound that you could actually acheive with a good gained tube amp and an OD pedal? i would ONLY use a distortion pedal if my amp + OD pedal could only handle up to hard rock/thrash metal. then use the pedal for death metal, nu metal, etc. ONLY.

i hope this info is helpful to you, it will make you so much happier in the end to take this route.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
why's everyone call it the rot lol
isn't it the rat?
lol
slash rocks speaks total truth
slash you rule very very smart guy
if you can't get a new amp
get the metal muff its pretty decent for metal stuff
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
why's everyone call it the rot lol
isn't it the rat?
lol
slash rocks speaks total truth
slash you rule very very smart guy
if you can't get a new amp
get the metal muff its pretty decent for metal stuff

Because its a Protone Body ROT not Rat

http://www.protonepedals.com/products/distortion/bodyrotII.html
eh it all comes down to logics and understanding. kinda the same w/ modelling amps. they're good for convenience, but really all they do is model the most desired amps and effects. go big or go home. which is why i would never use a modelling amp to gig with unless it was either

A) flextone (haven't used it but everyone who owns one says they're pretty much the BEST tonal machine when it comes to modelling amps

B) MTS series by randall. fully tube. i own the rm50. complete BEASTS when it comes to recreating their modelled tone. pricey tho

anyways i was just kinda using that as an analogy.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
oh dang thats mega confusing
pro CO rat
pro TONE rot
oh c'mon
thats just not fair
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by blue_strat

I would +1 this, but unfortunately Laneys aren't that great of a deal here in the US unless you can find one used.