Poll: Boss GT-8 vs Line 6 Pod XT Live
Poll Options
View poll results: Boss GT-8 vs Line 6 Pod XT Live
Boss GT-8
30 63%
Line 6 Pod XT Live
18 38%
Voters: 48.
Seeing as though im only on 160 pounds a month on my saturday job, and im off to uni next year, spending 300-400 upgrading my sub-par Spider II 30 to a full tube amp seems a bit crazy, especially when theres lots else i wanna buy this year (laptop, cds, games, all the usual). So i've been looking around, and seeing as though (from what i've read) the Pod does pretty decent amp modelling, and then I read a load of reviews saying that the GT8 does the same but better.

I'll hopefully be able to head down to the "local" (about an hours train journey) guitar store next month in order to try them both out, although the GT8 has now been discontinued and i'll have to try out the GT10 and guess at how the GT8 will be.

I'll be mainly using it for distortion/amp modelling and recording to my pc, although i'll also be interested in the effects and whatnot.

Was just wondering if any guys on here had any experiance with either.

Thanks,
Fraser
oh forgot to add - ive been looking at them both 2nd hand and you can get them both for just over 100 pounds
pod Xt all the way

The gt8 lacks usb interface that effects the recording....
oh nice - how is the amp/cab modelling on the pod? i mean obviously its not gunna be as good as the origional, but we can't all afford mesa boogie amps, so the imitation will have to do
i use the XT. the modeling, while obviously NOT a substitute for the real thing.. is still AWESOME to record with or jam around with using headphones.

if you use the USB you can have your mp3's play thru it as well and jam along easily.. oh and record easily!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I I think the GT8 is better infinatly It's an amazing piece of gear. It just takes alot more time to tweak than the XT
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Are there other ways to connect the GT8 to a computer/laptop, for example, the line in / microphone port or anything? Because that way I guess I'd have the best of both worlds...
is it better? or is it simply an opinion?

i've tried the GT-8 myself but i prefer a podXT.

maybe i'll have to try one again to really A/B the products.
i tried the XT Live and ended up returning it. I'm happy with my GT-8 now though i rarely use it. Buy both and return the one you don't like
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Quote by Fraserwatt
Are there other ways to connect the GT8 to a computer/laptop, for example, the line in / microphone port or anything? Because that way I guess I'd have the best of both worlds...

you could go line-in with the gt8 but you wont get the qualiy of the usb interface
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']I haven't tried out a pod
But the GT-8 will probably sound better

Might want to go with Boss ME-50 and a Tone port UX1 or 2

if you haven't tried out a pod.. how would you come to the reason that a GT-8 WILL sound better?

and then recommend an ME-50 which is an inferior product to the GT-8?!

AND THEN *rant rant rant*

gt-8 you can do digital out into a sound card that has s/pdif digital in. That's how i record and it sounds pretty decent but i would recommend buying a mixer...
With the right tweaking a GT-8 easily wins.

You can connect mp3s with the loop, and put it at the end of the movable FX chain.

Just get 2-3x adapters so you can plug into the loops, play an mp3 from your computer/other media player, and go back into your sound card for recording. You can even choose not to use the loop bringing in the song to not record so you can do multiple tracks and edit them.

Not to mention assigns or anything. You can change 9-10+ things in one patch at a time using assigns. Wonderful once you figure out how to use them.

Headphones sound sweet with the GT-8. It'll take more time to get the right sound, a NICE balance is needed in the GT-8 to make it sound good. If you can take the time to tweak longer you'll be happier.

Also check out bossgtcentral.com. In the forum check out the Harmonic Converger. It's supposed to make the already superior GT-8 even better.

A nice pair of headphones would be beneficial. Are you looking to amplify this setup in the future?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

wait are you running these things thruogh your line 6 spider? Because that will sound horrible with either of these things.

I suggest the pod. Ive had one of the higher end floor pods and Im very happy with it.
How about you just, don't buy multi FX and use the extra cash on a better amp
That will give you much better sound.
Quote by Highwaytohell

+1
btw this is pretty good price imo
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/67998
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably pick up the Pod, not because it sounded better than the Boss, but because it's easier to dial in the tone you want.
Quote by sg-rocker173
Are you looking to amplify this setup in the future?

Yup, I've just joined a band and once we get some more songs down and a drummer we're gunna start looking for gigs.

Quote by Highwaytohell

I dont have that much money. What amps do you suggest for a sound from power metal to vai-esque stuff for very little money?

Quote by rockdan101
+1
btw this is pretty good price imo
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/67998

Thats cool, as thats the kinda price people are ebaying their pod's/gt8s, but for that price new, wouldnt it hint at quality of it suffering a bit? Im not too sure, has anyone had experiance with this?

The overall responce ive got so far is "Pod is easier to get good tones with, GT8 has better tones but takes longer to get them", would that seem right?
Last edited by Fraserwatt at May 8, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell

With the right tweaking, and some adjustments to your current gear, the GT-8 and GT-10 can sound absolutely amazing.

Also, he did mention he didn't want a loud amp, and he's probably on a budget. IDK about you, but a GT-8 used with a brand new harmonic converger and an atomic 112-50 is a pretty ****ing badass rig for a grand. Especially given the versatility. If you can overcome the learning curve, and you actually know what you're doing some MFX sound really ****ing nice. Now, given the fact that the atomic is loud enough to gig with with ease, if you take 600 out of the equation and throw in 50 for nice headphones you have a sweet recording/practice rig for about 500 USD.

It won't be long before MFX start replacing those tube amps.

The thing you need to do is KNOW your MFX unit. Once you conquer the curve, you'll love it. Also, Harmonic Converger highly recommended. :P

TS: Your statement about the PODs and GT-8s is true. However, the Harmonic Converger (Can be used with all MFX, but designed specifically for the GT-8) makes it so much easier to get good tones from the GT-8.

Do this:
GT-8
Harmonic Converger
Atomic 112/212.

The atomic is a 50w valve amp designed to push your modeling unit to the next level.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

cheers for that . Couple of questions though.

I dont seem to be able to find any of those Atomic amps for sale on the internets, where abouts do they do them, and is 18w loud enough for gigging and jamming?

And that Harmonic Converger (which sounds like something out of a science fiction film, its probably the best name for a piece of gear EVER), is it as life-changingly awesome as the website makes it out to be?

Thanks,
Fraser

EDIT: the guy who makes the HCs doesnt ship outside the usa anymore
Quote by Fraserwatt
cheers for that . Couple of questions though.

I dont seem to be able to find any of those Atomic amps for sale on the internets, where abouts do they do them, and is 18w loud enough for gigging and jamming?

And that Harmonic Converger (which sounds like something out of a science fiction film, its probably the best name for a piece of gear EVER), is it as life-changingly awesome as the website makes it out to be?

Thanks,
Fraser

EDIT: the guy who makes the HCs doesnt ship outside the usa anymore

Damn, I forgot about that....

Do you have any relatives in the US who could receive it then ship to you? Or try ebaying one. The newer, the better is word of the mouth. He constantly improves them as he makes them. And yes, it's essentially an EQ box that adds warmth and dynamic range to your playing... for 215+.

You can buy atomic off their website or ebay or just google ****.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Theres the same problem with the atomic amp, although at some point i'll probably be able to ebay or similar the Harmonic Converger, but its not so simple with an amplifier.

If i played it on the clean setting on my Spider with the drive and all the EQ turned to 0 so i'd be leaving all the work to the MFX, how would that sound?

I'll seriously look into these Harmonic Convergers, because the Spiders arn't exactly the warmest and most dynamic of guitar amps
Dude you definitely don't need too many fx for a good power metal sound. What would be your total budget if you opted not to get FX ?
Quote by Highwaytohell
Dude you definitely don't need too many fx for a good power metal sound. What would be your total budget if you opted not to get FX ?

about £200 / $400.
From the impression ive got, your not even going to get a sound on par with that of the amp modelling on the mfx on an amp for that price. I guess if i sold my spider, id have about £250.

But if i decide i still want a mfx, would i be able to use this on clean with everything except volume at 0 in order to get the tone having as little to do with the tone as possible?

EDIT: a total price I'd be willing to spend would be £300, but i'd like to get that as low as possible via 2nd hand stuff, going for smaller models (within reason) etc.
Also, i was wondering, would getting a keyboard amp work with the MFX? i seem to remember someone telling me something about them not colouring the tone of the guitar like guitar amps, so i was thinking, they might have the same effect as one of those Atomic Amps.