I have heard that they are more comfortable to play and adds to the tone? is this true?

And are there any decent thru necks for under £500
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Neck through isn't neseccarily better than any other neck joint. It is however, always much more expensive, due to the extra work required.

However, neck through does have slightly more sustain (though this isn't so noticable any more, due to the improvements in bolt on and set neck joints over the years), can have less of a heel at the neck (makes high fret access slightly more comfy), and they have a slightly warmer, fuller tone.

The last is what should decide it, and that is entirely preference. Many like the brighter, snappier tone of bolt on joints (hence why not all high end basses are of a certain type).

If you can, try out a few though necks. It may or may not be your thing. Though good luck getting one for less than £500.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My neck-through bass was £300ish the original idea (by Rickenbacker) was a cost-saving idea.

There are plenty of things that make a bigger difference to sustain (pickups, bridge, etc) but in terms of playability I find neck-through to be so much more comfortable than bolt-on. You've got to try these things for yourself though, of course. If neck-through was the answer to everything there'd be no business for Sadowsky or Fender custom shop.
Quote by smb
My neck-through bass was £300ish the original idea (by Rickenbacker) was a cost-saving idea.

There are plenty of things that make a bigger difference to sustain (pickups, bridge, etc) but in terms of playability I find neck-through to be so much more comfortable than bolt-on. You've got to try these things for yourself though, of course. If neck-through was the answer to everything there'd be no business for Sadowsky or Fender custom shop.

How exactly do pickups make a difference in sustain just for the instrument by itself?
Super strong pickups reduce sustain by increasing the magnetic pull on the strings.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by alreadygone
How exactly do pickups make a difference in sustain just for the instrument by itself?
It's not a closed system - the pickups interact with the strings as much as the opposite.
Quote by alreadygone
if the bass is not plugged in? the wood doesn't care what kind of pickups sit in it.

Most pickups still have magnets in them

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by alreadygone
so the magnets affect the strings ability to swing? interesting, I guess I've never thought about that
Absolutely - for example pickup positioning changes the way the different harmonics decay.
For €333 (no idea what that would be in £ you can get this bass:

http://www.thomann.de/se/peavey_c4nt_bass.htm

Its €15 to get it shipped to Sweden from Germany. I really like the bass, got the 5-string version, and you can even get a 6-stringer there if you wish. Worth the money, i say.
Fler Ismaskiner!
They're not better, per say. if you damage the neck you're buggered, but my A6 was a godsend to play. its not that the bolt-on is worse, but its nice to know you can replace it if you have an accident

edit: more sustain...possibly

more comfortable? my 6 string weighed a ****ing ton!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Eklund
For €333 (no idea what that would be in £ you can get this bass:

http://www.thomann.de/se/peavey_c4nt_bass.htm

Its €15 to get it shipped to Sweden from Germany. I really like the bass, got the 5-string version, and you can even get a 6-stringer there if you wish. Worth the money, i say.

be very careful about jumping on this bass without playing it first. I also saw it on the internet and thought it must be an awesome deal cause the specs sound great, but I didn't like that instument at all. You could chase me with that bass.

@ smb. That's cool about the harmonics, I didn't know that!
Quote by alreadygone
be very careful about jumping on this bass without playing it first. I also saw it on the internet and thought it must be an awesome deal cause the specs sound great, but I didn't like that instument at all. You could chase me with that bass.

True, everything's not for everyone. But i really like it, and as TS is looking for an NT-bass under £500, this seemed pretty relevant. But in the end, it's all just a matter of taste & preferences. As usual.
Fler Ismaskiner!
they have less of a heel, and more sustain (some glue ons and bolt ons have shaped the wood to keep this type of effect, such as the Gibson SG glue on and the Ibanez 650 poplar burl special bolt on). they also give it a sorta "racing stripes" ish look with clear finishes, as seen on the said Peavey.

that bass didn't impress me. it's a good deal, but I thought it would have been better feeling and sounding.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I appear to just have expensive tastes .

But as said above, there is a difference. However, the only definately better things are the little extra sustain. However, NT lacks the 'snap' of a blot on and do sound different.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Try looking around for the Hohner Jack series basses. 4- or 5-string, with or without headstock. EMG Select pups, tons of versatility (even for a JJ), massive sustain (esp the headless versions). Best of all, they're built like a tank and don't cost too much. Sadly, you'll have to look for a second hand one; there don't seem to be any new ones (at least not in the UK). £200 should do it. Honestly. Spend the rest on beer.

Actually, the 'string-suck' issue is one of the reasons for Lace pickups. They're all stupidly low impedance, and therefore ought to be pathetically quiet and woolly. But, because of the unconventional magnetic design of them, they work. And the magnetic field is weak enough not to influence the movement of the strings.
I have two neck thrus and both are available for under £500. The Peavey up there (I paid £300 in a local place) and an Ibanex SRX700 which I got on ebay for around £200, but you can buy new for £489 here http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/bass-guitars.asp

I've never played one that isn't neck-thru, as I'm learning (6 weeks now), I love the sound out of my Ibanez, but I think that's more to do with the bass.
A neck thru will have more bass and treble while a bolt-on has more mid. Neck-thru is often more expensive but not to say that there is alot of expensive bolt-on's. Like Greg Campbell's Bee Bass. It has 9 bolts in it!
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B