Page 1 of 2
First of all, in the more extreme forms of metal (death, black etc), what do you say when someone who hates metal asks "Can you even understand what they are saying?" or something along those lines? Because frankly, I can't, unless I am reading the lyrics along with the song, then it couldn't be more clear. But i don't like to admit I can't because it seems dumb.

And secondly, is their a better word for the bands who scream rather than growl for their vocals? I don't really like calling it screaming because that sounds kind of bitchy and is why everyone calls metal "screamo music". Do you guys commonly just call it death vocals or something?

Thought this might be interesting to talk about. Feel free to discuss other matters relating to this subject.
This type of thread has been done a few times. If people ask 'are there even lyrics?' I just tell them that there isnt and that its just aimless growling and screaming, its a lot more fun this way.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Well, if we're talking Obituary...

Then, there ARE no lyrics
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
on the topic of vocals.. I usually ask them if they can understand everything in a song the first time they hear it, regardless of genre.

Then I tell them that the lyrics don't matter at all anyway, and it's the music as a whole I'm listening to.

Second thing.. Well, screams are used often.. If it's black metal, you could call them grim vocals
When people tell me "You can't understand them" i usually say "You're not supposed to."

And by "scream", do you mean like Black Metal screeching? If so, I call that Screeching.
I know this must be a joke Slaytanic but I don't get it. I can actually somewhat understand some Obituary lyrics.
No, its true. They never finished lyrics for Slowly We Rot. There are some lyrics alright, but for some unfinished verses, its pretty much NNNNEEEAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHOOOOAAAAA
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stoner0405
First of all, in the more extreme forms of metal (death, black etc), what do you say when someone who hates metal asks "Can you even understand what they are saying?" or something along those lines? Because frankly, I can't, unless I am reading the lyrics along with the song, then it couldn't be more clear. But i don't like to admit I can't because it seems dumb.

And secondly, is their a better word for the bands who scream rather than growl for their vocals? I don't really like calling it screaming because that sounds kind of bitchy and is why everyone calls metal "screamo music". Do you guys commonly just call it death vocals or something?

Thought this might be interesting to talk about. Feel free to discuss other matters relating to this subject.

Tell them, you don't need words to convey emotions, and don't worry I still have to read along to lyrics for clean and screamed lyrics (yeah I'm weird I know).

Calling metal screamo is like calling Jimi Hendrix Black metal.

Metal vocals are fun to practise by the way.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Well, that's kinda wierd, seeing as there aren't any.
He's just growling along with the music. :P
I usually say "No" or "Little bits here and there"....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by adrianjunger
Well, that's kinda wierd, seeing as there aren't any.
He's just growling along with the music. :P

If that's a response to the Obituary thing, then yes, they don't have many actual lyrics.

If that's ALL metal, you fail.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
'Screams' - rasps
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
jburnett: vokills
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Refer to them as Necromantical screams.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Necromantical imprecations of grim, sepulchral evil

I understand a lot of growling/screeching.....
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Vile throat protrusions of diabolical blackened goat holocaustritual. Much snappier than 'screams'.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Vile throat protrusions of diabolical blackened goat holocaustritual. Much snappier than 'screams'.

I just might start using that!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Stranglehold: a perfect definition it would be, had you not missed out the words 'bestial' 'morbid' 'necro' and 'summoning'

Haha all those words are interchangable anyways, mix them around for each album sure.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
When someone asks "Can you understand what there saying" I say "Probably 90% of the people who listen to this type of music have had to dig to find it. If someone is that devoted to finding music that speaks to them, theyll usually look at the lyric sheets. The vocals are made to fit the music. The music is heavy and aggressive, so the vocals are the same way. Personally, I cant understand what the vocalist is saying half of the time until I read the lyrics, but im a musician. I listen to music for the musicianship and power that I feel from it. I love to sit at my computer or in my room with an album playing and read the lyrics while the song plays. It helps me gain understanding of the song."

I make it clear that metal isnt "scream" music and the majority of what people think is metal isnt really metal. I dont listen to any metal that screams that I can think of, except maybe CC when Fisher does those high growls, but thats what I call them "high growls".

but in the end I always say "if you dont like it, dont listen to it" Its funny how im suppose to respect everyone elses music preference but that curtesy isnt extended to me.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at May 5, 2008,
^ I love those high-pitched growl/screams, especially on Vile.

And TS if you want decipherable growls, some Immolation will do you nicely.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I understand a lot of harsh vocals. Death metal generally isn't that hard to figure out, if they're a good vocalist and open their mouth a lot. Black metal can be done, also.

Inhales = Impossible. Probably because pronunciation is more difficult. But yeah, thats mah tew sents.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Tell them, you don't need words to convey emotions, and don't worry I still have to read along to lyrics for clean and screamed lyrics (yeah I'm weird I know).

Calling metal screamo is like calling Jimi Hendrix Black metal.

Metal vocals are fun to practise by the way.

lol As do I. I generally can't understand most lyrics, no matter what genre it is.

And I didn't know about that Obituary thing. I know he must not do it to all his vocals because I have picked up a few lyrics from many of their songs.

Oh, and I'm not looking for death metal with decipherable lyrics. I like the music I listen to and don't care about the lyrics as much as I do the music. I just thought this would be nice to talk about.
Last edited by Stoner0405 at May 5, 2008,
Quote by Stoner0405
lol As do I. I generally can't understand most lyrics, no matter what genre it is.

And I didn't know about that Obituary thing. I know he must not do it to all his vocals because I have picked up a few lyrics from many of their songs.

Oh, and I'm not looking for death metal with decipherable lyrics. I like the music I listen to and don't care about the lyrics as much as I do the music. I just thought this would be nice to talk about.

AWESOME! I thought I was the only one!!!
Quote by Senor Kristian
It depends on the vocalist - some I can understand and some I can't. As others have said, I usually tell people that most metalheads listen to music for the music, rather than the lyrics. Sometimes someone who listens to popular music will say "I love Song X, it's a song about such and such" whereas among other people I talk to about metal, it's always "I love song X, the riff is awesome," so for me I have to take a step back when talking to non-metalheads and realize that most of the public approaches metal just as they'd approach a pop song; i.e. focusing on the lyrics.
I usually say: "this is nothing, infact after a couple listens, I can understand these guys pretty well compared to some bands"

or

"that's why cds come with lyric booklets"
if a lot of the people bashing death vocals actually knew what the lyrics were, i think they'd be glad that they can't understand them
Quote by dminishedthingy
if a lot of the people bashing death vocals actually knew what the lyrics were, i think they'd be glad that they can't understand them

I believe that's "Rammstein's law"
Quote by Slaytanic1993
If that's a response to the Obituary thing, then yes, they don't have many actual lyrics.

If that's ALL metal, you fail.

That's to the Obituary thing.

I'm not such a n00b that I think that there isn't any lyrics.
As for understanding, I pick out lyrics pretty quickly, growling or no growling ^^
^indeed, the first time I heard Cannibal Corpse, I couldn't understand anything. Now I can decipher almost everything.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I understand a lot of growling/screeching.....

Second.

If I'm familiar with the band, it's very easy for me to understand a great deal of what they're saying. It also depends on who is doing it. Arsis, for instance, is pretty coherent.
Quote by The Virtuoso
AWESOME! I thought I was the only one!!!

Me too. I think that I understand them, but when I read the booklet, it turns out I've got them all wrong.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
does anyone else here really enjoy making low pitched roarig gutteral death metal growls, cause I've recently gotten the hang of them and often growl spontenously or as a substitute for the words "**** Yeah" much to the bewilderment of my friends
I tell them they haven't got the cranial capacity to understand them.

But seriously, I just say, yeah, it's just noise, I like noise. Sue me.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Page 1 of 2