evening,

Hi fellow UGers question about musical theory and its importance. I like to hear other peoples opinions and discussion but im not a fan of snobbery. Anyways i do plan to learn musical theory once my uni time has finished in three months but i was wondering the extent of affect that it has on your playing ability, for example on speed and other techniques.

At the moment i'm putting together riffs and chords by ear and it seems to be working but is this enough?

cheers for your thoughts
Still awaiting his invitation to the coalition of intelligent pit users....

How many kids with ADD does it take to change a lightbulb?

Lets go ride our bikes
With theory you can put together chords and riffs just on paper then test them and see if they don't blow your mind.

Thats just the way I see it, and having not learned much I'd be fine with a fraction of that statement. Its not necessary but its good to know to write better/faster.
Music theory won't help your speed, obviously, but like Jerry said, it'll help extraordinarily with writing things and finding things you would never have found if you didn't know theory. But, you know, like Frusciante said, if you can make melodies and you can make things that's up to your standards without knowing theory, then great for you. But for those of us less naturally gifted (Like me, apparently... theory would help a lot. So, if you want to be able to think things in a different light, then yeah, just keep on doin' it.

My 2 cents. And, I don't actually like Frusc., I just thought it was good advice, haha.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
lets put it this way...how good do u wanna be? because if u wanna be good then def learn it b/c it has helped me greatly
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
With music theory you are able to not only put together more chords for a greater variety, but you are more accurate in your spellings. Learning all the new tecniques is a lot of fun, and it really does help you to better understand your music. While I wouldn't say you NEED music theory to be a great musician... i would strongly encourage it.
Quote by converserock
With music theory you are able to not only put together more chords for a greater variety, but you are more accurate in your spellings. Learning all the new tecniques is a lot of fun, and it really does help you to better understand your music. While I wouldn't say you NEED music theory to be a great musician... i would strongly encourage it.

I blame spellcheckers, people (including myself) no longer put any effort into spelling as something will do it for them and as such when there is no checker, spelling suffers as they are not used to doing it anymore.

Laziness i suppose

Will try harder in future

Lets go ride our bikes
Music theory teaches music, not how to play a guitar. That's up to you to learn how to apply it on the guitar. So many ways to apply it that you'd have to learn how to arrange it.

Music theory is very helpful in analysis of other's music. See how they arrange it.
the difference music theory makes is say.. the difference somebody sees in drawing the second they envision the world in simple shapes. without it youre left with an unorganized mess of scribbles.

id say the most important part is learning intervals and then scales (but not necessarily to the extent of memorizing every individual scale, construction is the important factor). then move on to melody and harmony. so many musicians nowadays think horizontally and not vertically, its not 5 individual parts playing their own song, each instrument locks in. then move onto a usually highly neglected aspect, rhythm. learning odd time sigs is nice, but mostly focus on divisions.

that would be the 'basic toolbox' of theory.
but i was wondering the extent of affect that it has on your playing ability, for example on speed and other techniques.
Naught

At the moment i'm putting together riffs and chords by ear and it seems to be working but is this enough?
Definately. Learn as much as you want to. If you don't want to learn any (I know you actually do want to learn), that's fine.

I blame spellcheckers, people (including myself) no longer put any effort into spelling as something will do it for them and as such when there is no checker, spelling suffers as they are not used to doing it anymore.

Laziness i suppose

Will try harder in future
converserock didn't mean spelling words/grammer. He meant correct and concise spelling of chords etc. so others know what you mean.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
converserock didn't mean spelling words/grammer. He meant correct and concise spelling of chords etc. so others know what you mean.

Got you, makes more sense in retrospect

Lets go ride our bikes
you don't need to be a theory master to be excellent at guitar, god knows to many are getting away with no theory knowledge at all, learn enough theory to do what you love to do, then as time goes by your music tastes will broaden and you will move on and learn new bits of theory. you don't have to learn it all in one big chunk, take your time and understand what you learn and apply it to your playing. that way you'll get more benefit.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...