When I listen to people like Jason Becker, Rusty Cooley, and Michael Angelo Batio, whenever they are sweeping or going through some legato licks, I can't help but notice the fullness of the note (or notes) that are being played on the high E string. When I play those same notes, the sound I get is thin and ultimately not very good sounding. Is it my guitar or amp, or are they playing with thicker strings?
First of all we need to know what amp and guitar you are using. Make sure you're using the neck pickup.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at May 5, 2008,
Quote by Mike1109
First of all we need to know what amp and guitar you are using. Make sure you're using the bridge pickup.

Surely you mean neck pickup?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

+1

You get a much thicker sound from the neck pickup, if you're playing anything below 10's I could understand your strings being the problem but I would assume it's your amp.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by steven seagull

Thank you, haha, I'm off in another world today.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
they probably have thicker strings (10-46 at least), a nicer guitar with a better pickup, and a nicer amp with better EQ control. plus, if you're hearing studio recordings, they may have double or tripled the part, or had the frequencies raised on the high notes to bring more body to them.
Quote by frigginjerk
they probably have thicker strings (10-46 at least), a nicer guitar with a better pickup, and a nicer amp with better EQ control. plus, if you're hearing studio recordings, they may have double or tripled the part, or had the frequencies raised on the high notes to bring more body to them.

I think you'll find that the biggest difference is simply that they have near-flawless technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com