Hey, what is everyone's opinion on whether mainstream punk bands such as Rise Against and Sum 41 is real Punk?
Clearly no, but who cares. 99% of " punk rockers" are doing the same exact thing scene kids are, and thats being trendy. God i hate boise.
not sure about punk.. but Rise Against is good...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
It doesn't matter if it's mainstream. What makes those bands not punk is the fact that they're not playing punk music.

/thread
Quote by sargasm
It doesn't matter if it's mainstream. What makes those bands not punk is the fact that they're not playing punk music.

/thread

hell yeah
rise against is politicaly punk (siren sound of the counter coulture is amazing). sum 41 is a knock off of blink 182 so they are pop punk i guess. but pop punk isnt real punk, listen to the sub genere started in the UK called oi, that real punk. btw the real punk was like skinheads and **** like that so if you are aggervated by white supreamist lyrics, dont listen to oi. the days of real punk died with the clash
HiMyNameIsMatt
why is there even a debate going on??

it's and half 50% of ppl think punk died in 1979 (which it did)
and the other 50% don't actually know what punk is lol.

thats why we have the term 'post punk' and then there was 'hardcore' which evolved from punk, Rise Against are probably the closest thing to punk nowadays.

Obviously thats just my opinion (which is 100% right!! lol)
Ignore all the trolls in this thread. Answer: No. They're not

It's not because they're mainstream, it's because, like sargasm said, they don't play punk rock music.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by shammyshamsham
why is there even a debate going on??

it's and half 50% of ppl think punk died in 1979 (which it did)
and the other 50% don't actually know what punk is lol.

thats why we have the term 'post punk' and then there was 'hardcore' which evolved from punk, Rise Against are probably the closest thing to punk nowadays.

Obviously thats just my opinion (which is 100% right!! lol)

Wow
Quote by surge666
rise against is politicaly punk (siren sound of the counter coulture is amazing). sum 41 is a knock off of blink 182 so they are pop punk i guess. but pop punk isnt real punk, listen to the sub genere started in the UK called oi, that real punk. btw the real punk was like skinheads and **** like that so if you are aggervated by white supreamist lyrics, dont listen to oi. the days of real punk died with the clash

I think out of all the randoms coming into this forum not knowing what they're talking about, this is the person who knows what they're talking about the least.
actually sum 41 has some very political stabs on their newest album. sometimes you have to listen to music before you can bash it.

and ill just be one of the many to say: JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE MAKING A LIVING OFF WHAT THEY DO DOESN'T MAKE THEM ANY LESS A PUNK BAND.
Quote by surge666

are you fucking kidding me?

Jack my swag
Quote by sargasm
I think out of all the randoms coming into this forum not knowing what they're talking about, this is the person who knows what they're talking about the least.

you are probaby right, at least i can admit it. my uncle was the lead singer in the band Mental Abuse back in the 80's. Syd Sludge he called himself. so i kinda pretend that i know about punk, i prefer harcore and metal tho. if anyone here went to CBGB's back in the day youd know about MA. sorry about posting without knowing my stuff
HiMyNameIsMatt
What always confuses me about this is that why when a punk rock band becomes mainstream are they no longer a punk rock band? Success does not equal a sellout. People don't understand that. A band that records their first album in a dive studio will sound like a true underground punk band. Then, as they sell albums, become more successful they work with new equipment, new producers, and are able to spend more time working on albums for a more finished product.
Rise Against, Green Day, Social Distortion, Anti-Flag, have all come to be successful and mainstream to different levels and in their own ways. I still consider them because of what they're doing for the music and the messages in their songs to be punk rock and punk at heart. They're still writing their own music as well.

Now....Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan...NO. These aren't punk bands. They are pop bands. They have changed their music TOTALLY. They play dancy music and are obviously being controlled by the record label. They write catchy pop songs and try to give off that punk rock vibe. This doesn't work for me. There is no controversy in the message in their music. Atleast not that I can see because everytime one of their new dance songs comes on the radido I don't listen to it long enough to know.
Quote by joshua029
not sure about punk.. but Rise Against is good...

not sure about rise against,but punk is great
the bands he mentioned are not punk at all.
not because they are mainstream but they just dont play punk
easy as that
Quote by paul999b
What always confuses me about this is that why when a punk rock band becomes mainstream are they no longer a punk rock band? Success does not equal a sellout. People don't understand that. A band that records their first album in a dive studio will sound like a true underground punk band. Then, as they sell albums, become more successful they work with new equipment, new producers, and are able to spend more time working on albums for a more finished product.
Rise Against, Green Day, Social Distortion, Anti-Flag, have all come to be successful and mainstream to different levels and in their own ways. I still consider them because of what they're doing for the music and the messages in their songs to be punk rock and punk at heart. They're still writing their own music as well.

Now....Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan...NO. These aren't punk bands. They are pop bands. They have changed their music TOTALLY. They play dancy music and are obviously being controlled by the record label. They write catchy pop songs and try to give off that punk rock vibe. This doesn't work for me. There is no controversy in the message in their music. Atleast not that I can see because everytime one of their new dance songs comes on the radido I don't listen to it long enough to know.

I totally agree