Hey guys I got a question. I am trying to follow the tabs for Chevelle's Another Know it All but my problem is with the tuneing. I am useing the tuner that is built in my amp and when I tune it to B F# B, it sounds nothing like it. I keep trying and trying but I cant get it to work. I heard I might need different strings or something called a chromatic tuner. Thanx for all the help.
you do need a chromatic tuner if you wanna tune into anything other than standard
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
it might possibly be your intonation.

or your string guage.

What guage are you using atm?
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Harley Benton HBR7-450FRBK (7 string)
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Hughes & Kettner ATS MKII
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
Danelectro free Speech Talk Box
Sorry im not too sure what "gauge" means. As you can tell I just started playing like a couple months ago. All I know is I have medium or standard strings and whats intonation?
you need thick gauge strings and you dont need a tuner. look in the "only tuning thread" for the tuning itself.

Chaotic, you dont need a chromatic tuner.
Been away, am back
that is bollocks, you dont NEED a chromatic tuner.

either use relative tuning, or just look on youtube for a tuning guide for whatever you wanna tune to.

korg do a decent small tuner, which you can use for tuning down steps.
get a chromatic tuner and a baritone guitar with nice and thick strings

oh yeah, and taste for music that is challenging
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
that's not true, some people have no taste in music. Not saying that the threadstarter is one of those.
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
get it in standard then match the tone of the 2nd string with that of the bottom string. tune by ear from there.
the reason it doesnt sound anything like the song youre trying to play is because your strings are too thin. you will need to buy bigger strings. .13 gauge should do the trick, zakk wyldes signature series have some good ones for low tunings like that. intonation, to try to explain it a way youd understand, basically means that if you play an open e, and then an e on the 12th fret of the same string, the notes wont match up. this has to do with the quality of the guitar, and in this case, since you are tuning differently, the strings you are using. ideally(and professionally), you should have one tuning per guitar. any time you change your tuning, the intonation will go out, even if its not always noticeable.
Last edited by tdopz at May 5, 2008,
You can get Korg tuners that have a flat button. I think they can go down to B standard...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
wow, everyone seems to have taken my comment the wrong way. I happen to have all of Chevelle's stuff, so obviously I hate the song....

He can like Chevelle and play Chevelle if he wants, I realize he is new to guitar. But really, if someone was on my ass when I started I'd be exponentially better than I am today. So forzer, I wouldn't really recommend downtuning your guitar so drastically. Sorry if I sounded like a harsh shred-head by telling you to like music that is more difficult to play on guitar. Learn from the lessons of so many other guitarists on here, don't spend too much time just playing power chords, you'll be a much better player the sooner you start playing harder stuff

Bitches don't know
Quote by CrabShrapnel
wow, everyone seems to have taken my comment the wrong way. I happen to have all of Chevelle's stuff, so obviously I hate the song....

He can like Chevelle and play Chevelle if he wants, I realize he is new to guitar. But really, if someone was on my ass when I started I'd be exponentially better than I am today. So forzer, I wouldn't really recommend downtuning your guitar so drastically. Sorry if I sounded like a harsh shred-head by telling you to like music that is more difficult to play on guitar. Learn from the lessons of so many other guitarists on here, don't spend too much time just playing power chords, you'll be a much better player the sooner you start playing harder stuff

Standard tuning is the best tuning to start out playing in, yes. But, if you are assuming that drop tuned songs are not difficult, you have obviously never heard of August Burns Red or All That Remains.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
i have my guitar tuned to drop B for chevelle too, and i dont have a chromatic tuner (i need to get one though)..look it up on google or something, thats how i first did mine, and then you'll pick up on how to tune it yourself. as for gauge of your strings, which is like the size of them, you should have like .11 on there. go to GC and ask for .11 gauge strings, they'll know what you're talking about.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama