Hi, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on a 30 watt amp...

Yesterday I went to samash to try again a Pv C30...and that's when it hit me.

I couldn't get the thing past 2 without getting one of the guys to say, "please turn it down"

So 30 watts might be a little too much for me, but just to clear something up.

If I get a Blackheart 5 watter + a badmonkey OD, will that be such a difference? I mean yeah of course there will be a major difference, but if I turn the BH up to two, I'm not sure if it'll be equally loud as the Pv classic 30.

Also, i'm not 100% sure if I'll be in a band, but would the Pv classic 30 also work for bedroom/living room practice?

please someone I had my eye set on this classic 30 for almost half a year, and my parents said that they will get it for me on June. (grr)
just get the 30 watt and keep it turned down until you need it to be loud. you'll be SO glad you got it when you join a band and can actually hear your amp over the drums, and the tone doesn't suck

i've got a 50 watt tube amp, and to play alone, to myself, i only need it at 1 or 2, and for full-blown band practice, i only need it at 4 or 5
I have a 30 watt crate, and I can play bedroom practice just fine, so If you really like the amp's sound go for it. I have never tried a blackheat though, you might want to try before you buy.
I have to say, with a 2x12 cabinet and on the seven-watt setting, I still have to be careful about volume on my amp for bedroom practice, especially if I'm using gain, in which case my volume is somewhere between 1 and 2.5. So I would say thirty watts might be a bit loud for bedroom purposes.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
Are you serious about the level 2 thing?
I test at a VERY small guitar center and i play a 50 peavey valveking with NO complaints.
I would say if 30s too much for you, you could always get a 20.
But if you ever join a band 30 - 50 is a good level to level with the drums.
Quote by Mudhippy2011
I have a 30 watt crate, and I can play bedroom practice just fine, so If you really like the amp's sound go for it. I have never tried a blackheat though, you might want to try before you buy.

30 tube watts compared to 30 ss watts is a big difference. and i say just get the 30 watt. like everyone says, you'll be happier.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
So far so good with the responses.

Oh and when I went on the 2nd channel for the Pv c30..no Ac/Dc sound
I cranked the pre, and had the post on 2 I think and all I got was clean sound with very light dist.. strange.
Last edited by esp1234 at May 5, 2008,
30 watts isn't too much really, i have a 15 watt tiny terror and a 30 bivalve, the bivalve is a little unruly after dealing with the TT for so long, but you'll use those 30 tube watt somewhere, and when you do play with a band it get just inside that 'push' to drive the tubes good.

personally 15 watts is pretty much all you need, there has been times when i have played with my TT where i think i am not getting loud enough and i can't hear myself too well and then i hear a recording from someone in the audience and not only am i in the mix, i might be just a tad too loud, and these were gigs that were outside! the last gig my buddy said he could here my guitar in the parking lot when he got out his car, my TT wasn't even going all the way, and it was only on a 2x12 cab. so i don't think 30 is too excessive, but i find 15 to be enough for me
You may want to find an amp with a master volume control. It will allow you to crank the preamp gain for some decent preamp overdrive while keeping the power amp volume down to apartment levels.
Quote by valentinezxifax
30 tube watts compared to 30 ss watts is a big difference. and i say just get the 30 watt. like everyone says, you'll be happier.

it is tube though, why did you think it wasn't?