Well it's gonna be a while before i raise this kinda cash, but I thought I'd ask in advance anyway...

What's probably the best guitar I could get in the $1400 range for classic rock? I'll be playing a pretty wide variety of music, mostly classic rock, a bit of blues, and some metal so it has to be able to handle distortion pretty well but nothing TOO brutal... like on the lighter-ish side of heavy.

Good, bright cleans are the priority though. Not twangy, country-ish cleans but a bit warmer/fatter.

Any suggestions?
+1 for the SG
A Les Paul or an ES-335 would do the job as well. Maybe an HSS strat, if that's your thing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
If you can get a used SG standard you can get quite the deal. I payed less than 800 for mine after looking for a long time.
A Gibson would definitely be the way to go, and in the price range i'd say the les paul studio. it's the same electronics as the standards, just without some of the aesthetic stuff. but hey, maybe i'm biased because i love mine. i can get all the tones you've mentioned out of it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
Gibson Les Paul Std second hand.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by he_is_kyle
A Gibson would definitely be the way to go, and in the price range i'd say the les paul studio. it's the same electronics as the standards, just without some of the aesthetic stuff. but hey, maybe i'm biased because i love mine. i can get all the tones you've mentioned out of it.

Nah in my opinion better go get an Epiphone Elitist rather than a Gibson Studio/Special or whatever.Gibson have really messed up the studios nowadays.For Gibson go for Classic/Standard or higher.Anyway the SG standard is easily within the 1400$ price range ,why bother with more economical models?
Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye
Get an SG, or a used Les Paul Classic or Standard.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

a G&L Legacy, I'd suggest.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Check out some carvin's, they do look like incredible guitars. For the price range they are the best.
I love my Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. Two Burstbucker pickups...and 50's neck. No maple top or binding, but great sound, it's also a Studio. Guitar Center and Musician's Friend for $850 with Gibson Hardshell case
Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
MIM Strat
Yamaha FG 500 (vintage, hand made acoustic)
Dean Performer (for traveling)