I am looking into picking one of these puppies out as a backup to my USA strat. I'm looking for a cheap tele, and 300 is around what I want to spend. The reason im not going MIM Fender is because I can't be bothered to change the pickups and all, and because i'm not a huge fan of the tele necks on those, plus its a bit more than i want to spend for a knock around guitar. I also really like the pups, even if they aren't real duncans.

So, good/bad idea? I've played the SH version, and i thought it sounded good, and i would assume the SSH would be very similar (any comments on the toal difference between the mini bucker and the full size one would be nice!)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-SSH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512574

thanks...
I don't know man thats a bit risky, But hey you can make any guitar sound good. I'd throw in a seymour duncan pearly gates. In your case you might be able to find a cheap fender strat neck to replace the tele one. It all depends on how much you want to throw into to it. Then again the MIM are pretty good quality and you could take that one step at a time ya know.
Quote by Chica
I don't know man thats a bit risky, But hey you can make any guitar sound good. I'd throw in a seymour duncan pearly gates. In your case you might be able to find a cheap fender strat neck to replace the tele one. It all depends on how much you want to throw into to it. Then again the MIM are pretty good quality and you could take that one step at a time ya know.

if I wanted a reallt good guitar i would do that, but I already have one, and im not looking to replace it. i'm looking for a backup, that needs VERY LITTLE customizing.

Im looking for some people who have experience with this guitar. Any out there?
Quote by hawk5211
if I wanted a reallt good guitar i would do that, but I already have one, and im not looking to replace it. i'm looking for a backup, that needs VERY LITTLE customizing.

Im looking for some people who have experience with this guitar. Any out there?

I can understand why you liked this inexpensive guitar, other than the number of frets, the neck is similar to your American Standard Strat, C profile, 9.5" radius. I almost got one but figured I'll wait for the Memorial Day Sale and get it even cheaper.

If I remember correctly, and this is probably on the spec sheet, the nut is slightly smaller than a regular Fender Tele.

The C shape is a nice transition from the usual '50s-style Gibson necks that I'm used to, although I wish they came a bit chunkier like the U profile of the AV series or the MIJ '62 RI Strats.

For the price, I can't fault the PUs but if I got one, I'd replace them just because.