Why is everyone so affixed on whats punk or not? i love and listen to everything from The Clash to The Vandals to Dead Kennedys to Fugazi to Blink 182. honestly i see the spirit of punk rock in all these bands. they might not all be screaming about how much they hate the government but they all seem to get it... the thought that rules suck, and conformity is retarded... thats my outlook. i think people are WAY too discriminant in their definition of what punk rock is....
Nobody is, until someone comes in with some stupid thread like "LOL WHATS DA REAL PUNK IS IT CASUALTEES?" and a bunch of non-punk forumers come in and start e-yelling at each other.
Everyone wants to argue what is punk because:
1. A lot of morons call blatantly poppy (pop-punk at most) bands like (the new) Green Day punk.
2. Everyone likes to label things. It's simply part of human nature.
3. People are so concerned with fear of being called "emo" that some people call bands like Fall Out Boy, Green Day, blink-182 and other pop-punk bands "punk." Still good bands, but fear of emo-ness is fairly all consuming.

Basically, it's because the line between punk, emo and pop-punk has become really hard to determine. It's all rock in the end, anyhow.
Quote by hobo467
1. A lot of morons call blatantly poppy (pop-punk at most) bands like (the new) Green Day punk.
3. People are so concerned with fear of being called "emo" that some people call bands like Fall Out Boy, Green Day, blink-182 and other pop-punk bands "punk." Still good bands, but fear of emo-ness is fairly all consuming.

Basically, it's because the line between punk, emo and pop-punk has become really hard to determine. It's all rock in the end, anyhow.

Nobody is scared of being called emo. This is the internets, not junior high school.
i dunno man, punk changed waaaay too much, is like compare pennywise with f'n simple plan, i mean u know that simple plan is not punk i mean a lot of bands give punk a bad name, the way i see it punk is dead, it died a long time ago, but hey the influence is still alive
Quote by jcpunkrock
i dunno man, punk changed waaaay too much, is like compare pennywise with f'n simple plan, i mean u know that simple plan is not punk i mean a lot of bands give punk a bad name, the way i see it punk is dead, it died a long time ago, but hey the influence is still alive

lol wut?
Quote by jcpunkrock

You only think punk is dead because you're listening to pennywise.
The ratio to people who call simple plan punk to those who recognize that they are not punk is so insignificant that you shouldn't even use them as an example..

I don't get it... nobody calls simple plan punk anymore... nobody even really THINKS about simple plan anymore... until it's somebody saying "People call simple plan punk cuz they're posers and don't know about real punk bands like pennywise and anti-flag"
is not that, i mean u can't compare the good punk bands like pennywise or the descendents with today so cal pop punk bands like sum 41 or even blink 182, i'm not sayin that blink is a bad band cause i actually like it, but the style has changed way too much
dude i swear it a lot of people calls simple plan punk, i hate them and good charlotte, trust a lot of people labels them as punk
Quote by hobo467

No...

This forum isn't really like that. Most of the regulars like a pretty wide variety of music. It seems to be mostly metalheads that really hate pop-punk. The main reason we don't allow Blink/Green Day threads, imo, is because they seem to have a lot of annoying fans.

By the way, I don't think any of the bands on your list would that "rules suck, and conformitiy is retarded." Most people realize the necessity of rules in society, and people involved in the punk scene tend to conform to punk stereotypes pretty often.
Quote by sargasm
You only think punk is dead because you're listening to pennywise.

Oh sargasm, you and your witty remarks make me giggle.
Quote by jcpunkrock
dude i swear it a lot of people calls simple plan punk, i hate them and good charlotte, trust a lot of people labels them as punk

I haven't heard anybody label either of those bands as any sort of punk since 9th grade... which was 6-7 years ago.
Quote by jcpunkrock

nobody cares about good charlotte or simple plan anymore. they completely faded away.

Jack my swag
well that's cause u leave in the US, the problem is that i leave in Guatemala, here like 90% of the people only listen to salsa and shakira and stuff like that, and a lot of people here labels those bands as punk wich actually pisses me off
Quote by werty22
By the way, I don't think any of the bands on your list would that "rules suck, and conformitiy is retarded." Most people realize the necessity of rules in society, and people involved in the punk scene tend to conform to punk stereotypes pretty often.

r00lz are 4 f00lz!
Punk is all about ANARCHY!!!!
And anarchy is all about no rules, and getting wasted, and mindless violence and destruction!

*-)
Quote by jcpunkrock

Compare Richard Hell and the Voidoids with Pennywise... Pretty different. Music changes. If punk is dead because it's different from the way it was 30 years ago, then so is almost every other genre.
Quote by jcpunkrock
well that's cause u leave in the US, the problem is that i leave in Guatemala, here like 90% of the people only listen to salsa and shakira and stuff like that, and a lot of people here labels those bands as punk wich actually pisses me off

That's like North America 5 years ago.
We use genres to talk about music that we like. When people say the genre we like is some ****ty bands that we really dislike its annoying. I don't think bands like The Damned should be grouped with bands like Good Charlotte. Their music is completely different, from a different time period and genre. To call them the same "type" or genre of music is blasphemous. They are clearly different and should be typified as such.

it kinda goes like this

Black Flag =/= Killswitch Engage
The Ramones =/= Green Day

pretty simple, eh?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by Doolittle
Pierre of Simple Plan is so pawnks, man.

Their guitarist dude is a skinhead, that's pretty pawnks.
Quote by whosamerica
Why is everyone so affixed on whats punk or not? i love and listen to everything from The Clash to The Vandals to Dead Kennedys to Fugazi to Blink 182. honestly i see the spirit of punk rock in all these bands. they might not all be screaming about how much they hate the government but they all seem to get it... the thought that rules suck, and conformity is retarded... thats my outlook. i think people are WAY too discriminant in their definition of what punk rock is....
Punk's a music genre, not a behavioral disorder.
Pop-rock + cheeky attitude, a punk band does not make.
Your shit sucks!

Just like this thread TS.

*reported*
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by blackflag49
Punk's a music genre, not a behavioral disorder.
Pop-rock + cheeky attitude, a punk band does not make.

Quote by StreetLight3989
Your shit sucks!

Just like this thread TS.

*reported*

I lol'd
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Lol, I didn't even notice him saying that when I was using the Cheeky reference.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
what i hate about this forum. is most of the regulars are freaking hypocrites. i and some of us, on the other hand, are neutral.
you'd allow a jawbreaker thread because they are 'awesome'
and not a greenday/blink-182 thread because they are not punk and we have to deal with it?

everything in pop-punk/emo does not even fit greenday or blink-182.

and all 3 of those bands are great. but when i put media status aside and just listen to the music, i dont see a difference between REAL pop punk and FAKE MAINSTREAM pop punk.
Look, if ya gotta say it's apunk forum then ya only gotta include The Clash, Ramones, the Pistols and some dozen other bands. lets be a littleserious:
Yeah, green day have a punk sound and fall out boy and Jimmy eat world but ya gotta know that first of all, punk is away of life. noone of us should be called a punk if we had to go by terms. i mean we chat at the net we have a good time, we eat a few sandwitches before the screen, we play our guitars! yeah pretty punk hey!? lets make some room for those who at least want to be called punks! and please stop putting the word "pop" next to my religion!
You all take this too seriously.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.