Music Styles: Shred / Hard Rock / Classic Rock (I like to play everything here and there but those are my main styles just for the sake of simplicity)

Price Range: $500...

Opinions?

-On a side note do amps $1000+ sound THAT much better than amps -$1000?
Though I don't have personal experience with them, I've heard that the Peavey Valveking has good high gain that should serve your desire for shred.

Others will probably recommend Peavey's Classic 30 or 50 for their great classic rock tones but you may need a good overdrive or distortion pedal for the shredness.

Anyone have more recommendations?
After doing more research and listening to a bunch of different amps I have come back with more of an idea of what I want. It seems that the VK on a high level of distortion of good for shred which is what I want BUT it sounds pretty muddy to me. It seems like it'd be good for rythm metal and things like that but I'm more into things like sweep picking and things of that nature. When sweep picking with a muddy distortion it sounds like absolute garbage IMO. I'm looking for a tight distortion sound similar to something that you would here from an ENGL Fireball.

I'd like to keep it under 50 watts all tube. 15 watts would even be fine. I know that most shred amps come in higher wattages which serves a problem also...

Do you guys have any recommendations for an amp around my budget with TIGHT distortion?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
sorry to say it but its hard to get a nice amp that will classic rock crunch as well as hard rock, and shred
thats kind of a weird combo
sorry for pointing out the obvious
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^^I wouldn't really call that a weird combo...a decent distortion should be able to do all decently. If I were to specifically say I wanted a tight distortion for SHRED what amp would you point me to?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Randall RG50TC

And, it all depends.

My $1000 (going by retail prices) Peavey Classic 50 stands up phenominally to my CBB (3000 dollars).
But, ultimately, although the c50 has a better tone:price ratio, the CBB wins it out tonally.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
thriller, well by shred you mean ___
exactly what kind of stuff
i might say a peavey 6505
but it stills hard
on like a hardness scale
its kinda like
classic rock-------hard rock---------metal---------------------------------------------shred
thats why its somewhat weird
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
your need an EL34 based amp for your styles, as these types of amps generally have realy tight distoriton (possibly el84 aswell)

if you want your notes to be nice and clear and defined get a laney
thats what paul gilbert uses (well now he uses a marshal Vint.Mod...)
pauls tone speaks for itself man, its imho one of the most defined shredding tones ever!

i think the Laney LC-50II (its cheap, 50 wats, 2 ch. individual eqs, and should do all the genres you want quite well) should be around 800 USD, but if you want a much better amp you must get the Laney VH100R

peavey classic is also amazing
maybe not for shredding though

or perhaps you could try an orange tiny terror

a DSL should work for you as well you might be able to find on used for pretty cheap
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Peavey Classic 30 - Seems like a good amp from what I've heard but I'm not sure if it would handle the 'heavier' metal songs.

Randall RG50TC - I have never heard one of these amps so if any of you have a link to a clip or something that would be great.

Peavey 6505 - Ideally I would get this amp but to find it at this price is pretty rare...(links?)
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
randall rg50tc HANDS DOWN!!!!

honestly, check some clips dude, the cleans aren't great but there not THAT bad

the overdrive is where it's at on that amp.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
What do you guys think about me getting a Bugera 333 or 6262 and using a pedal to improve the tone at lower levels? It seems like that would get me the best tone for the $$$.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
After looking more into Bugera...scratch that last idea.

I've heard some people say, 'you can make a clean amp sound dirty, but you can't make a dirty amp sound clean'. Which gets me thinking...I've been listening to some sound clips of Fender amps such as, Blues Jr, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc... These amps sound great with the regular amp distortion for things like a classic rock sound. The distortion isn't muddy and it fits with that classic rock tone.

If I were to get a Blues Jr. and plug in a Fulltone OCD or TubeScreamer how much would that change the sound to get some heavier styles fitted in there? To be more specific how would the sustain / pitch harmonics sound?

I listened to some clips of the Randalls and B-52 and they did impress me. The distortion sounded good but everyone says they have no clean. I mostly play the heavier style songs but a lot of times I like to play things by White Snake, The Beatles, Dr. Hook, etc...

What are your opinions on this approach?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Last edited by thriller4life at May 12, 2008,
Quote by thriller4life
After looking more into Bugera...scratch that last idea.

I've heard some people say, 'you can make a clean amp sound dirty, but you can't make a dirty amp sound clean'. Which gets me thinking...I've been listening to some sound clips of Fender amps such as, Blues Jr, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc... These amps sound great with the regular amp distortion for things like a classic rock sound. The distortion isn't muddy and it fits with that classic rock tone.

If I were to get a Blues Jr. and plug in a Fulltone OCD or TubeScreamer how much would that change the sound to get some heavier styles fitted in there? To be more specific how would the sustain / pitch harmonics sound?

I listened to some clips of the Randalls and B-52 and they did impress me. The distortion sounded good but everyone says they have no clean. I mostly play the heavier style songs but a lot of times I like to play things by White Snake, The Beatles, Dr. Hook, etc...

What are your opinions on this approach?

The fender is (i'd venture to say) a polar opposite of a shred amp. They sound pretty bad when pushed over light overdrive.
A used 5150 would be a nice amp but it's still very hard to find around my price range. Salty do you know where I could find a clip of a Blues Jr. 'attempting' to shred?

The reason I'm worried about getting a strictly high-gain amp is because I really don't like heavy rythm metal...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life

-On a side note do amps $1000+ sound THAT much better than amps -$1000?

hate to break it to you but yeah, there is a significant difference usually, but it depends what you stick with, if I was you though I would save up more money and get a 5150 or something for those styles, higher end marshalls would do a great job, and also Laneys could do good

but my recommendation is honestly save up. dont buy something you'llwant to upgrade from in a year, invest your money in a really good piece of gear, if I stuck to that throughout my last 4 years of playing, I would have saved a ton of money
ycv40/20 maybe would be good.

About the blues junior, It will never get close to enough gain for shred without a metal muff or a metal distortion pedal, and doing that will defeat the purpose of the tube amp.
Quote by zRoCkIsAdDiCtIn
hate to break it to you but yeah, there is a significant difference usually, but it depends what you stick with, if I was you though I would save up more money and get a 5150 or something for those styles, higher end marshalls would do a great job, and also Laneys could do good

but my recommendation is honestly save up. dont buy something you'llwant to upgrade from in a year, invest your money in a really good piece of gear, if I stuck to that throughout my last 4 years of playing, I would have saved a ton of money

I agree 100% with the whole save up routine...but for some of us it's just not possible. $500 is really pushing it for me actually. With college coming up I can't justify spending that amount of money. But once I get through college....money's gonna be flying.. . I'm also gonna be buying a new guitar aswell which is why I can't put all my money towards an amp. My ESP's electronics went haywire..the volume knobs broke, and I'm just sick of the pickups and horrible quality. So I figure around $500 for an amp and $500 for a guitar should get me a decent setup (the less I spend the better). Plus I figure the gear isn't the only thing that goes into making a good sound...it's the person playing.

In the meantime I'm trying to keep it real. I know the Blues Jr. w/a metal muff is against its purpose but it's stock distortion is good enough for most of the classic rock I'll be playing.

I was just thinking that the Blues Jr. with a good OD pedal would give me a better sound and more versatility than a high gain amp in its' price range.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Gar, I haven't been around GG&A alot lately.

Did the Peavey Windsor Studio ever end up coming out? I'd look into that, although I've only tried it's older brother.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
Gar, I haven't been around GG&A alot lately.

Did the Peavey Windsor Studio ever end up coming out? I'd look into that, although I've only tried it's older brother.

It did, with disasterous results.
...threadjack much....
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Blues Jr. or BJ NOS
Vox AC15
Peavey Classic 30

What do you guys think about these amps? I'll probably get an OD pedal for whichever one to attempt 'shred' material but I'm into blues at the moment and a good clean channel would be nice.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by saltysnail
It did, with disasterous results.

Damn

I was really looking forward to it.

Quote by thriller4life
Blues Jr. or BJ NOS
Vox AC15
Peavey Classic 30

What do you guys think about these amps? I'll probably get an OD pedal for whichever one to attempt 'shred' material but I'm into blues at the moment and a good clean channel would be nice.

You know, none of those amps suit your style very well. I would get a B-52 AT-112, or the Peavey windsor stack if I was you. Really, 100 watts isn't that much louder than 50 watts.

Actually, going back and reading a post that I skipped over, the B-52 is better. The cleans on the B-52 are fender-like. Whoever told you otherwise is a liar.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at May 13, 2008,
Quote by CORT noob
Damn

I was really looking forward to it.

You know, none of those amps suit your style very well. I would get a B-52 AT-112, or the Peavey windsor stack if I was you. Really, 100 watts isn't that much louder than 50 watts.

Actually, going back and reading a post that I skipped over, the B-52 is better. The cleans on the B-52 are fender-like. Whoever told you otherwise is a liar.

I've heard horrible things about the Peavey Windsor. Especially about the clean channel.

And..100 watts isn't THAT much louder than 50 watts...you've got to be kidding me...I barely turn up my Crate 15w. The highest I go with that is 12o'clock. 100w would be overkill +. 30watts I could manage but I'm not so sure about 100w.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
I've heard horrible things about the Peavey Windsor. Especially about the clean channel.

And..100 watts isn't THAT much louder than 50 watts...you've got to be kidding me...I barely turn up my Crate 15w. The highest I go with that is 12o'clock. 100w would be overkill +. 30watts I could manage but I'm not so sure about 100w.

All 100 watts refers to is headroom. That is an amp with mostly pre-amp gain. Trust me, a B-52 AT112 isn't noticably louder than a Fender HotRod Deville.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I played the Windsore combo recently. Flat, lifeless and cheap. The Classic 30 would be a good amp though I second the "not sure if it would handle the shred" point. If you are more into blues than shred, sure fender or classic 30. Traynor YCV40 would do as well.
Quote by gregs1020
I played the Windsore combo recently. Flat, lifeless and cheap. The Classic 30 would be a good amp though I second the "not sure if it would handle the shred" point. If you are more into blues than shred, sure fender or classic 30. Traynor YCV40 would do as well.

That is what I'm trying to figure out. As of now I play a little of everything and I don't have one specific thing that I want. I love how a good clean tube amps sounds as well as a nice high gain distortion from a tube amp. I'm just not sure which direction I want to go. I'm pretty much down to two situations (I am also getting a new guitar):

1:
Fender Standard Stratocaster with a Floyd Rose (or an HSS)
Peavey Classic 30

2:
Schecter C-1 FR
B-52 AT-112

Both are great setups but are meant for different things.

I've been playing on a Stand Stratocaster (without a floyd rose) here and there for awhile now (a buddy of mine owns one). I like the guitar but the neck is a little thicker than my ESP LTD and it seems not to be as 'smooth' or easy to play fast on. All in all I'm not sure which route to go. Opinions are welcome.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
My amp hunt is coming near to its end. I've got it down to these:

B-52 AT-112

vs.

Randall RG50TC

Opinions?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Bump^
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
No one can compare the B-52 AT-112 and the Randall RG50TC for a tight distortion lead sound for metal? (Which one's less muddy?)
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955