Hey guys. I know there are many posts like this, and I did use the search bar and it helped a lot in eliminating other choices. I just have a few more doubts. I'm considering buying a new amp. I've been playing with my hand-me-down Ibanez Jumpstart amp for all this time, and I need a change. I'm open to any suggestions, and I am definitely willing to buy used. I'm looking for an amp that can get a good, heavy, metal tone, but it'd be nice if it had decent cleans too. I'd use it for practice and some gigging. I also have a Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal, so if the amp needs a little boost to get to the metal tone, the multi effects pedal might have what it takes. Thank you guys in advance, I really appreciate it.

Oh, and btw, my budget is around $450-500.

Oh, the ones I'm considering right now are:

Peavey Valveking 112
Crate V18-112
Mesa Boogie Subway Rocker
B52 AT212 100 Watt combo
AOR Laney
Ampeg Superjet
Peavey Ultra 112
Kustom Tube 12
Marshall JTM 30
Peavey 5150
Laney GH50L
Marshall JCM900
Ashdown Fallen Angel
and Randall rm50hb

I know theyre a lot, but its because I havent found much info on many of them, much less listening files. Some of them might not be close to what I'm looking for. Feel free to call me a dumbass for those ones. Again, thank you!
Last edited by DarkPsychedelia at May 5, 2008,
you should probably narrow down your options a little bit.

you can never go wrong with the valveking. one of the best combo amps i've ever played for it's price and what it offers. plus it's pretty loud too.

it can nail the sound of tom morello's guitar in sleep now in the fire as well as some heavy metal. the valveking will definitely not disappoint.
What kind of bands are you referring to when you say "heavy, metal"?

Peavey Valveking 112 - Decent amp, some say it doesn't have enough gain for metal which I personally think it does, they probably don't know how to use it. Cleans are pretty good.
Crate V18-112 - Won't have enough gain for you at all, you'd need a distortion pedal or an OD if you use it cranked.
Mesa Boogie Subway Rocker - Honestly not sure on these, never tried one but I believe it's a lower gain model, check into the F-30/F-50
B52 AT212 100 Watt combo - Good amps, will have enough gain for you and has pretty good cleans.
Peavey Ultra 112 - If I'm correct these were kinda the amps that came before the 5150, should have a good bit of gain.
Marshall JTM 30 - Not enough gain for metal, would need a boost. Classic rock voiced. Overheat easily, can be fixed with a fan.
Peavey 5150 - Tons of gain, sub-par cleans. I personally don't like their sound, but a lot of people do and a lot of big metal bands use them.
Laney GH50L - I really like the sound of these amps, you might need a boost if you need tons of gain, but I really like how they sound for how cheap you can find them.
Marshall JCM900 - Has a lot of gain for a Marshall, cleans are actually pretty good as well. Really the only Marshall I've tried that I really liked, you'd still probably need an OD to get into modern metal amounts of gain.
Ashdown Fallen Angel - Quite a bit of gain, didn't really play around with one of these much, but you'd probably need an OD with this as well if you need modern metal tones.
Randall rm50hb - These things are seriously awesome, get bored of your sound? Switch it out for a different module, really cool. Pretty sure these don't come with any modules new though, could be wrong! I have a hard time believing that you can find one of these in your price range with modules, but if it's feasible, I'd probably get it out of all of these amps. If you need something cheaper though, check out the RG50TC, great little amp for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You're right man. I realize how annoying it is to see that huge list. If I had to choose right now the VK would be in my top. Others would be the 5150, the b52, and the Randall. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm seriously considering it. Anyone who has any other suggestions is, of course, welcome to do so, even if its not in my massive list.
Quote by MatrixClaw
What kind of bands are you referring to when you say "heavy, metal"?

Heavy metal as in, Death metal and Post-metal, etc. Thank you for all of that info, thats great!
Another question: Would the OD/DS effects in the ME-50 be enough to give that extra boost to most amps, or would I need to buy a separate pedal?
I would say the randall becouse you can get modules and switch them out when you get bored with one costing you less then a normal amps and they sound nice individual moduals cost like $250 a peice but they were made by brune egnator so you know they are good
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Oh ok, I understand now. That's really cool. Unfortunately, I just found out it doesn't come with any modules (makes sense though). Considering I'd have to buy that too, it would be too much for me. Thank you for your suggestions though. Any others?
well done thread DarkPsychedelia.

+1 MatrixClaw for taking time like that to help (as you always do)

my vote is either the VK, B52 or Randall but i don't have that much experience with most of your starting list - but i mainly just wanted to congratulate you a well thought out approach and thread start.

good luck

;
maybe Bugera? it sounds like a lot of people like this amp for metal, and its cheap.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well done thread DarkPsychedelia.

my vote is either the VK, B52 or Randall but i don't have that much experience with most of your starting list - but i mainly just wanted to congratulate you a well thought out approach and thread start.

good luck

;

Thank you so much, both for the congratz, and for the suggestion!
Quote by Master Bait Her
maybe Bugera? it sounds like a lot of people like this amp for metal, and its cheap.

I've read about Bugera in other posts, but I didn't include them because I still haven't found one available. I'll definitely check them out, although I've read things about them blowing up Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out right now!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
I've read about Bugera in other posts, but I didn't include them because I still haven't found one available. I'll definitely check them out, although I've read things about them blowing up Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out right now!

Yeah I haven't tried them out myself but I've been reading about how good they are for the price.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Bugeras sound nice but I've heard too many stories of them going bad.

Read the warrenty closely as well, it pretty much covers nothing and is a load of ****
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by obvs
Note that the poster of that video says in the comments at the last page "I don't have that amp anymore"

Woah, yea, got scared there. I read more and he says its because he had better ones, including a Calvin V3 thats basically double the price of the bugera. I think I would be happy with the bugera, although I'll take some time in raising the extra money. Still a bit paranoid though... too many reports of exploding or malfunctioning ones... Thank you all so much for the help. If anyone wants to make more posts, feel free! I probably wont be buying the amp that soon. If no one else wants to then, I hope this thread helps many other people. And thanks to everyone who contributed!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Bugeras sound nice but I've heard too many stories of them going bad.

Read the warrenty closely as well, it pretty much covers nothing and is a load of ****

Yea, it seriousy worries me... I'll be careful when looking for them. If Bugeras seem like a bad idea then I'd probably be between the B-52 and the Laney...
Sorry I keep asking so much, but what about the randall rg50tc? It's around the same price, and I haven't read anything about it blowing up. I heard some sound clips and it sounds like it can do metal on its own. Anyone used it or know more about it? Thanks.
Peavey Valveking 112 - Seems to be the low-budget staple amp on this forum, but IMO a little over rated.

Crate V18-112 - Well, in short....no

Mesa Boogie Subway Rocker - F30 instead

B52 AT212 100 Watt combo - Overkill, but a good amp, need an OD to do metal.

AOR Laney - Anything Laney is good

Ampeg Superjet - Wow... just no

Peavey Ultra 112 - Nope

Kustom Tube 12 - Great little amps, really push it when you need them to.

Marshall JTM 30 - Umm....how much cash do you have?

Peavey 5150 - Metal, and more metal.... clean REALLY sucks.

Laney GH50L - Again, Laney is so all around good.

Marshall JCM900 - JCM800 with an OD would be a better choice.

Ashdown Fallen Angel - Discontinued, so Im assuming you're buying used... The clean is heavenly, and the gain will kick

Randall rm50hb - Can I say no?.....I just did.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Peavey Valveking 112 - Seems to be the low-budget staple amp on this forum, but IMO a little over rated.

Crate V18-112 - Well, in short....no

Mesa Boogie Subway Rocker - F30 instead

AOR Laney - Anything Laney is good

Ampeg Superjet - Wow... just no

Peavey Ultra 112 - Nope

Kustom Tube 12 - Great little amps, really push it when you need them to.

Peavey 5150 - Metal, and more metal.... clean REALLY sucks.

Laney GH50L - Again, Laney is so all around good.

Marshall JCM900 - JCM800 with an OD would be a better choice.

Ashdown Fallen Angel - Discontinued, so Im assuming you're buying used... The clean is heavenly, and the gain will kick

Hahaha, cool man, thanks! Yea, I really wasn't sure about some of them, but I didn't find much info on them (especially the discontinued ones, found them on ebay). Just didn't want to discard anything just because I hadn't heard of it. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Peavey Ultra 112 - Nope

First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about on these.

The B-52 definitely has enough gain for metal by itself, I don't know where people come off saying this, either they need so much gain because they suck at playing or they can't work knobs.

"Nope" isn't an answer to what the Peavey Ultra is about and I seriously doubt you've even ever played one.

Marshall JTM30s aren't expensive, quite cheap actually. JTM45 is probably what you're thinking about.

And as for your no on the RM50HB. Again, you didn't give any reasons why and I doubt you've ever tried one. IMO, the RM50HB is the best amp on that list, but it's obviously over the TS's price range.

As for the RG50TC, yes, it definitely can do metal on its own. I've heard a lot of people say its clean channel is horrible, but I think they give it a lot less credit than it deserves, it's not a Fender clean channel or anything, but it's definitely useable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about on these.

The B-52 definitely has enough gain for metal by itself, I don't know where people come off saying this, either they need so much gain because they suck at playing or they can't work knobs.

"Nope" isn't an answer to what the Peavey Ultra is about and I seriously doubt you've even ever played one.

Marshall JTM30s aren't expensive, quite cheap actually. JTM45 is probably what you're thinking about.

And as for your no on the RM50HB. Again, you didn't give any reasons why and I doubt you've ever tried one. IMO, the RM50HB is the best amp on that list, but it's obviously over the TS's price range.

As for the RG50TC, yes, it definitely can do metal on its own. I've heard a lot of people say its clean channel is horrible, but I think they give it a lot less credit than it deserves, it's not a Fender clean channel or anything, but it's definitely useable.

Wow, again, thank you for clarifying all of that. Yea, I've seen videos of the B-52 and it can do metal. If I need anything more (not much probably), I'm sure the ME-50 can give me that little extra.