Poll: After reading the thread which option should I choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: After reading the thread which option should I choose?
option 1
15 23%
option 2
8 12%
option 3
39 60%
option 4
17 26%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 2
Ok well if any of you guys have kept with some of my recent threads, I recently purchased a lite ash tele (brand new) for 400$ from the MF clearance center. Nearly a month later (last week) I purchased a 2006 MIA strat with lindy fralin pups, and callahan bridge and saddles as well as some other small upgrades (original parts included as well) for $550. I love both guitars, but unfortunately one of them has to go. I have played both a lot the last few days and my conclusion on the two is that the strat is a better made guitar with a better feel and is beautiful and value will be there forever. The tele is awesome and I love the neck of the tele better than a strat neck. The tone is great (I happen to like tele tone and sound better than that of a strat...fits my quirky personality). On the downside, the quality of this tele is not there compared to the MIA strat that I have. The action isn't there and overall the strat is just the better guitar.

After much thought, I have come up with the following four options:

1. Sell the tele and keep the strat. Sell the original hardware for the strat to make up for the difference in cash between the two.
2. Keep the tele and sell the strat and make a significant profit. Save the cash for a strat or new tele down the road.
3. Sell both (probably could make cash off of both being that I got such great deals on each) and use the cash I make to buy myself an MIA tele built to my spec and pocket the rest of the cash.
4. Sell both and start shopping around to find a great MIM strat and great MIM tele. Keep the tele stock and put the MIA fender strat pups in the MIM strat. This would ultimately be cheaper than option #3 and would allow me to have the two guitars that I love.

Having an MIA strat/tele is great because of the value that they retain and the quality, however I have seen some MIM's that are of great quality. It is just a matter finding that one. Any help is appreciated.
~Nick
i would say sell both and get either a (year of your choice) reissue strat or tele

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I'd say sell both, and get the tele that feels good for you.
I like 4. But why does one have to go? They don't cost after you buy them, so why do you need to get rid of one?
The reason one has to go is that I can't afford to have both. I need the money to save up for grad school and what not. I promised myself no new guitar after I bought the tele but the strat deal was put in my lap and it just made sense to take it. I can make money off of either being that I got such a good deal from each.

Right now the biggest thing I am trying to decide is whether I would rather have one MIA fender or two MIM fenders. I really don't know if I can justify the extra 400-500$ for an MIA to myself.
~Nick
this is regarding your new strat? so i take it you like it? man, if i remember you got a sweet deal on that and i'm a strat guy so i say #1.

do you think you get used to the strat neck and tone? i betcha do.

good luck,

PS - if you do end up selling the strat will you at least PM me so i can have a shot first? ha

;
Yes it is regarding the new strat and yes I do like it a ton! If I am forced to do one of the 2 first options it will be to sell the tele and keep the strat. I can probably get used to a strat neck however I do like the thinner neck of the tele for my small hands. As far as tone goes, I love both. They each have their place in my heart. If I do sell, you will be the first to know.
~Nick
I say 3
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
3 or 4, is what you really want to do, methinks.

You love the quality of the Strat, but prefer the neck and sound of the Tele. In the end you'd never be satisfied with either one. Sell 'em both!
i'd go for #4, seeing as the only significant change in MIA and MIM is pickups and bridge. I know, there are a lot more differences, but this is what i see most important. Number 4 mos def.
Well if those are really the only significant differences between the MIA and MIM then I could essentially have an MIA in the body of a MIM. I have the original MIA pickups as well as MIA block, bridge, and saddles. I could throw all of those into a MIM strat and still have money left over for a MIM tele that I could throw some Alnico IIs in to make it essentially identical to my tele.
~Nick
Yeah, i think the body wood is both alder (MIM and MIA are both alder right?) I could be wrong. But i think i would buy an MIM myself and replace it with custom parts. Still, it seems you want both a tele and a strat so i think you should see if you can get both.
wow - i kinda forgot about that. the extra hardware from new purchase.

how many frets on your MIA?

my MIM has 21 med jumbo frets. can you go play a MIM? are you concerned about resale value later?

man you really do have an interesting/hard choice. would you get a lot of use out of having two guitars style wise or whatever?

EDIT: you probably have done this already but there are quite few MIM vs MIA threads to get ideas too.

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 6, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

man you really do have an interesting/hard choice. would you get a lot of use out of having two guitars style wise or whatever?
;

I don't know that I would get A LOT of use of having two different guitars. I mean I really only played my tele until I got my strat and now only play the strat since it is nicer and new to me. That being said, I am a beginner (although slowly improving and practicing 2 hours/day) so really I can't justify two guitars at this time. It is hard to say at this point really.

There are 22 frets on both my tele and my strat. I don't know that I need the 22nd fret but I guess it is good to have. I rarely play above the 15th position (frets 15-18).

I will have to check out more of the MIA vs. MIM threads to help me make my decision. My tele is already up for sale but I am going to keep the strat for now as I make my decision. Should I decide to sell it immediately I have an old half-working les paul special that will work for practicing until I have the time to find a new guitar to take its place....whatever that ends up being
~Nick
Quote by wolfy808
Yeah, i think the body wood is both alder (MIM and MIA are both alder right?) I could be wrong. But i think i would buy an MIM myself and replace it with custom parts. Still, it seems you want both a tele and a strat so i think you should see if you can get both.

Ya exactly...that idea is floating around in my head as it would allow me to have both. I could get a MIM standard strat in the arctic white and replace the stock pups, bridge, block, and saddles with MIA versions.

With the money I would have made I can either buy a standard MIM tele or (most likely) would get another lite ash tele down the road or try to find another model in the natural finish.
~Nick
not to get all paranoid on you (again - he he) i will help too, but it will be tomorrow at best because i read somewhere that hardware swaps between MIA and MIM are more difficult due to neck spacing and whatnot going from 21 to 22 frets.

i just found a recent thread American vs Mexican but like i said there are tons of them.

;
Interesting point. It never even occurred to me that that would even be an issue. I am currenty working on a term paper that is due in t-minus 8 hours so that is taking up my time now, but I will do some more research tomorrow on the issue.
~Nick
EDIT: i chose 4
2 is better than 1
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Thanks for the link. I will do some research on how well the swap will work. I kind of like the idea of having both a tele and strat best.
~Nick
Personally, I would keep the Strat and sell the Tele. How often are you going to come up with a deal like that? I would prize it and keep such a lucky deal, and in the future get an awesome Tele.
Keep the strat.
MIA keeps its value and as it gets older its value will only go up.MIM dont hold their value too well.
Also you got a crazy deal.Prices are only going up and if you want the quality of a MIA strat your gonna pay for it.
That is a good point. The longer that the guitar is in my possession the harder time I am going to have getting rid of it.
~Nick
Dude, 3. You obviously want a tele but ur complaint is the strat is higher quality, so therefore 3 is your answer.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Opt 3.... sounds like you're more of a Tele man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by ccrnnr9
Ok well if any of you guys have kept with some of my recent threads, I recently purchased a lite ash tele (brand new) for 400$ from the MF clearance center. Nearly a month later (last week) I purchased a 2006 MIA strat with lindy fralin pups, and callahan bridge and saddles as well as some other small upgrades (original parts included as well) for $550. I love both guitars, but unfortunately one of them has to go. I have played both a lot the last few days and my conclusion on the two is that the strat is a better made guitar with a better feel and is beautiful and value will be there forever. The tele is awesome and I love the neck of the tele better than a strat neck. The tone is great (I happen to like tele tone and sound better than that of a strat...fits my quirky personality). On the downside, the quality of this tele is not there compared to the MIA strat that I have. The action isn't there and overall the strat is just the better guitar.

After much thought, I have come up with the following four options:

1. Sell the tele and keep the strat. Sell the original hardware for the strat to make up for the difference in cash between the two.
2. Keep the tele and sell the strat and make a significant profit. Save the cash for a strat or new tele down the road.
3. Sell both (probably could make cash off of both being that I got such great deals on each) and use the cash I make to buy myself an MIA tele built to my spec and pocket the rest of the cash.
4. Sell both and start shopping around to find a great MIM strat and great MIM tele. Keep the tele stock and put the MIA fender strat pups in the MIM strat. This would ultimately be cheaper than option #3 and would allow me to have the two guitars that I love.

Having an MIA strat/tele is great because of the value that they retain and the quality, however I have seen some MIM's that are of great quality. It is just a matter finding that one. Any help is appreciated.
~Nick

wait, why does one have to go?
because he went out on a limb financially to get that sweetheart deal Strat he got but knew he probably would have to sell Tele to inject funds back into bank account for school and stuff. at least i think that is right.

that was kinda why i was saying go with #1 for now, because down the road if he truely misses the Tele and finds he likes the Strat too and WANTS both, he can sell it prolly close to a grand and then buy two MIMs (strat and tele) or a nice American Tele.

is that right ccrnnr9?

man of all the which guitar threads this one really seems to be a difficult choice.
;
You have a couple hundred just in pickups in the strat. Sell the Tele upgrade all the electronics. Wilkinson 2 point tremelo bass plate and blender pot. Sperzels and refret with jumbos and you will have one smoking strat.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
don't get a MIM fender, you will ultimately be disappointed after owning two great MIA fenders. personally i would keep the strat if one of the HAS to go, it sounds like such a sweet guitar and a bargain price.

i have 2 MIA strats and a MIA tele, i think if any one had to go it would be the tele, couldnt bear to part with either of the strats.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I have two mia strats a made in mexi and a Tom Anderson. The Anderson blows them all away but the next choice is the tricked out mexi.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
I have two mia strats a made in mexi and a Tom Anderson. The Anderson blows them all away but the next choice is the tricked out mexi.

am i missing something here? how can you have a mia strat which was made in 'mexi'?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Well just as a note, the lite ash tele is not MIA. It is made in Korea. I have put the tele up for sale but the strat is staying with me for awhile at least. I honestly think if I had to have one MIA and one MIM I would want to have an MIA strat and MIM tele. The teles are just so basic so I feel like the MIM tele will have less diffence between in and its MIA counterpart. Not only that, all of the MIM teles I have tried I have liked more than the MIM strats.
~Nick
I'd probably keep the Strat myself & sell the Tele you don't like much. You have a guitar now you really like. On the other hand if you sell both I have seen some sweet MIM Strats being sold for $300 all the time & I'm sure you could find a Tele for the same range & pocket a few hundy?
My vote is option #1 & depending on your financial situation #4.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
You want a Tele, and you want a MIA quality guitar. Therefore, sell both and get a MIA Tele.
Quote by dr_john
am i missing something here? how can you have a mia strat which was made in 'mexi'?

2 american. 1 mexi strat and the Tom Anderson
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic