Poll: Ebony, Maple Or Rosewood?
Poll Options
View poll results: Ebony, Maple Or Rosewood?
Ebony
24 39%
Maple
19 31%
Rosewood
18 30%
Voters: 61.
Ive only tried Rosewood and Ebony, and i gott to tell you I love the Ebony fretboard seems much more expensive and better than the other materials, but actually it costs almost the same as rosewood, why dont they make cheaper guitars with ebony?

anyways, which do you prefer?
preference really...ive never played on an ebony, but to me rosewood and maple are just as good...it really depends on the guitar too...imo maple looks best on strats...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Last edited by bi-ah! at May 5, 2008,
Quote by bi-ah!
preference really...ive never played on an ebondy, but to me rosewood and maple are just as good...it really depends on the guitar too...imo maple looks best on strats...

i love how maple looks, but it gets dirty, at least thats what i heard. Ebony is amazing, no pores. It smooth.Love it, the thing is only very expensive guitars have it.
maple and rosewood are tied for me, i love the way maple looks and sounds, but i also like the sound and feel of rosewood.

ebony's really awesome too, especially when you get a jet black board with some good pearl inlay's (in my opinions)
I haven't played an ebony board but besides that I vote other,compared to the rosewood & maple boards I have played I like my Hag composite board the best which they say plays close to ebony.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
I love Ebony, especially on LP's and metal- oriented guitars... but I imagine it'd look quite stupid on a Strat or something similar. I like Maple as well, but it looks dumb on LP's and semi- hollows. I don't really mind Rosewood, but I just like the slickness of Ebony and Maple more.
ebony FTW

So smooth and looks sweet
ESP ltd Viper 500s
Ibanez - RG 321 (EMG 81 / 85)
Ibanez K5 (original model)
Ibanez AEL acoustic

. . . . .. . . .
Quote by divinorum69
why dont they make cheaper guitars with ebony?

its a pain in the ass to work with
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
maple for strats and teles and in my case super strat-styles, everything else in ebony
I prefer basswood fingerboards. They easily have the most balanced tone, and they're ridiculously long lasting since basswood is such a hard wood. Ever see a dinged Ibanez? I thought not.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Maple with a rosewood fret board
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Maple...is so damn sexy.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
I prefer basswood fingerboards. They easily have the most balanced tone, and they're ridiculously long lasting since basswood is such a hard wood. Ever see a dinged Ibanez? I thought not.

All the time.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Mo Jiggity

I hope for the sake of humanity that you're merely jesting.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Mo Jiggity

What? Basswood is one of the softest woods that guitars can be made of... and I've never seen it used on a fretboard.
Rosewood is OK to me
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
I was just kidding... Virtually every Ibanez I've seen has dings in it, except for my friend's UV which he kept in pristine condition. Both of my guitars, cheapo one included, have no dings, merely dips in the finish from where they have been hit. My Steinberger is made of maple so that's probably why, and my other guitar has super thick clear on it.

As for necks I prefer maple, but the fingerboard matters not to me.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N