I listen to alot of John Mayer and i feel he has the most control over his guitar neck that i have ever seen. I play alot of John Mayer and other blues and i want to know how can i get better besides practicing alot. I don't know much theory and im not to good at improvising so maybe i should work on that. But how?? And should i learn some Jazz chords and stuff like that?? Is there any good website or books that would help me out with this also?? Thanks!!
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
If you just want to get better in terms of guitar technique, play more songs - aside of Mayer as well. If you want to get better in terms of Jazz, I recommend a class; it's a complicated subject, far more than other genres.
But i feel like when im improvising i don't know my way around the fretboard. Almost as if i don't know what notes to play to make it sound good.
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
Learn more theory, practice improvising. Everything comes with practice
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Learn more theory, practice improvising. Everything comes with practice

How do i practice improvising though?
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
www.jamstudio.com

Make a progression, improvise over it using the methods of improvising that you have learnt as well as experimenting a lot.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by zaffie8808
How do i practice improvising though?

learn from others.

copy solos note for note
learn the theory behind what your playing
learn to apply it

There is alot to learn. Its not something that can easily be answered in an online forum. Take some lessons to get direction.
what john mayer songs should i learn to get better. I was think his TRY stuff like Out of My Mind or Try
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
what john mayer songs should i learn to get better
Your favourite ones
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Learn the fretboard.
You can't apply theory if you don't know where the notes are at on the
fretboard.

Practice those simple inflections, bends, slides , hammer...etc

I bascailly play or phrase around the arppegios of the chords.

once you can move around the fret board and know where you're at
on the fret board. Practice phasing. Questions and answers. This way
even if you're improvising it'll still have meaning, rather then just random
notes,scales or riffs.

Listen to yourself on play back,
hum the notes when you're improvisng or practicing your scales.
phrasing is the key when improvising, it can make a crappily improvised solo sound half-decent, listen to the chord progression that your soloing over, pick out some little niches that are happening (a quick hammer on note in the middle of a chord ringing, a quick mute) try and pick out ways to accenuate the rhythm while keeping an interesting solo, start doing blues, a really good way to learn to improvise and do some good phrasing improvising over the 12 bar blues, then take what you learned from that and apply it to jazz, learning jazz is a really good way to learn to improvise over chord changes and make really cool solos.

sorry for wall of text.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

It's all down to experience. The more you play, the more experienced you'll become. The more experienced you are, the better you'll be at playing.
If you wanna get good at improvising, then improvise a lot, jam with as many buddies as you can and try anything and everything, throw the whole lot including the kitchen sink into your improvising and you'll soon learn what works and what doesn't.
Remember, you must make mistakes first in order to learn what the mistakes are.
To imporv better you'll need a bit of theory yes. Others may have a different opinion in terms of what to learn in the beginning, but I'd suggest these two:

1. Learn how to harmonise the C major Scale. Once you can do this you'll be able to apply it to any scale or mode. It enables you to determine which chords are in which scale.

2. Learn the CAGED system (this is a must!)
i've never heard of this caged system and i can improvise

don't go telling people that the way you learned something is best, cause it's different for everybody
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Archaon

Why have I never seen or heard of this website before?

THANK YOU!

Yeah, seriously. After seeing that link, I messed around on there for about 2 hours last night. That website is god.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
Yeah, seriously. After seeing that link, I messed around on there for about 2 hours last night. That website is god.

Yeah. I'm great at constructing my own backing tracks (thank you Fruity Loops) but this just makes it so much easier.