So yeah..

I've been working on a record and had no bass player. I thought "F it, I'll build a bass and I'll play the bass parts!" That was a cocky move and I didn't think it would be this tough. I mean I'm a shredding lead guitar player ( been at it 20 years!) and I thought "bass, ha, I got that covered!" Damn! I was wrong. The bass is truly a different beast and is unlike the guitar in many many ways. I have gone through a total role reversal writing bass lines it's kinda great! Now I'm no bass master after having done this but I am starting to see what needs to be done to be a decent bass played and it is a totally different but equally difficult direction!
Anyways, I'm babbling so I'll end this, bass players: I have a new found respect for you after taking a little time in your shoes. I'm gonna hop back in those shoes and **** around a little more! It's a fun place to be!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
it's good that you realized that, and i wish you luck as a bassist, but i just have to wonder: why is every other thread in here either about a guitarist who wants to be a bassist, thinks bassists suck, or came here to tell us that we play a cool isntrument (We already noticed that one ) ?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
well as someone who is fairly proficiant at both bass and electric guitar,I have devloped this phrase i tell all of my students-----clears throat-----Bass is easier to learn but harder to master---no applause necassary
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
Quote by The Evil Hat
it's good that you realized that, and i wish you luck as a bassist, but i just have to wonder: why is every other thread in here either about a guitarist who wants to be a bassist, thinks bassists suck, or came here to tell us that we play a cool isntrument (We already noticed that one ) ?

That's a good point. I think that most of the people, in all of those situations, never really sat down and tried to get into a bassist mind set. The ones that are trying it give you kudos (as I did) because they can see it is very different. The ones that say bassist suck have never tried it and are going on their assumptions, which is something you shouldn't do.

Quote by WhoPhlungBass
well as someone who is fairly proficiant at both bass and electric guitar,I have devloped this phrase i tell all of my students-----clears throat-----Bass is easier to learn but harder to master---no applause necassary

I'm gonna agree with that. i can't sweep on a bass. But Billy Shehan can and it freaks me out baby!
thanks! good job with the guitar... i tried for a while when I was like 8 but I couldn't do chords...

did you actually build a bass? if so, what's it sound like? look like? ingredients?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It's all parts I bought off ebay from some cheepo company called Titan. It's nice looking but it isn't a great bass. Thankfully I have garageband to make it sound a lil better.
Edit: it's a strat style but wide like an SG and the horns are really really round. I'll try and get some picks on my profile.
garageband=happy times

how much did you spend total on it?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

You know, a lot of times, guitarists who make threads like this get flamed for being unnecessary or what have you. But I've got to say, it gives me a warm feeling of acceptance inside every time I see one. Especially one so well-articulated as yours.

I'm the token humanist, what can I say.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
You know, a lot of times, guitarists who make threads like this get flamed for being unnecessary or what have you. But I've got to say, it gives me a warm feeling of acceptance inside every time I see one. Especially one so well-articulated as yours.

Thanks for understanding!
man i feel the same exact way

im aguitarist, and one day my buddy calls me up asking if i can learn the bass lines for a short set and fill in for a gig since their bassist suddenly quiet. i jammed with them, had a blast, and became a permenant member. i use the lead singer's bass rig because he doesnt wanna play and sing at the same time (mesa boogie walkabout into an ampeg 4x10)

man, its a totally different approach to writing bass. but i like it a lot. thinking about picking up a cheapo bass and ****ing aroudn wiht it through the toneport.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
do it, shaakaal.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
garageband=happy times

how much did you spend total on it?

less than $200
not a bad price. thanks for sharing! after jamming with ego freaks all the time, it's nice to find a guy who appreciates the bass.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by WhyLater

my response certenly wasn't intended as a flame, more like wondering why guitarists always do make threads like this. still, you seem to be the most open by far, and as i said earlier, good luck with being a bassist
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
It seems like most seasoned guitarists get a kick out of bass.

If you really like the bass, you should stick with it. Eventually you get the fun stuff like slapping down (to me, about the same as soloing on the guitar).

Personally, I played the bass from the beginning.
~Insert Signature Here~
I used to play guitar. After a few years I was getting pretty good. Then I broke my left wrist. After a few months the cast came off and I went right back to my guitar. After a couple more months I couldn't do what I used to anymore, I now have about 40% of the flexibility that I used to have in my left wrist (apparently a titanium screw in the wrist will do that). So I relegated myself to write some nice rhythm guitar lines and it was working out for a while. Then a friend of my brother's was putting together a band on campus and he asked me if I could play bass for him. I figured "why the hell not". I borrowed his Sammick 5 sting and a bass amp and it was love at first note. It turns out that bass was a little easier on my wrist due to the not having to frantically move around as much and keep my fingers so close together (I got long fingers, my middle is a little over 4 inches long). After a couple years I have two basses, a Dean Edge-5, and a P-Bass that I built myself. I'm also looking into getting an amp that'll last me for a long while now. I'm in a band that just played our first show at a Battle of the Bands and won and I can't stop playing my bass. I practice a few hours every day. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm glad I broke my wrist. I have become a "Disciple Of The Low End" and love it to death.
GAS List:
Nothing
Amen brother.

PS Your avatar kicks ass, Basch rules.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I felt the same way about bassists when i started playing guitar and looking at/listening to bass lines. I have a new respect toward them and i look forward to the day that i get my squier vintage modified bass.
I'm glad you appreciate us TS. Please go tell all your friends. Especially your guitarist friends.
Got Bass?