Page 1 of 2
Not a big surprise. John kind of idolizes his playing after Stevie, and has a very similar voice.
I always thought he idolized Hendrix

because of all his quotes and stuff

"Who I am as a guitarist is defined by my failure to become Jimi Hendrix."
John Mayer actually doesn't suck. Besides "Your Body is a Wonderland" ew.

A lot of his stuff has a nifty bluesy feel to it though.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
If youre a john mayer hater check out his song "Im gonna find another you".
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Wow, I love this dude's music. And knowing that he idolizes Stevie makes it all the better.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by redneck516
If youre a john mayer hater check out his song "Im gonna find another you".

nah his best song for haters is good love is on the way. of the video on how he wrote in repair. gained A LOT of respect for him after that.
Quote by Audio™
I always thought he idolized Hendrix

because of all his quotes and stuff

"Who I am as a guitarist is defined by my failure to become Jimi Hendrix."

Haha, John Mayer's a funny guy. He seems really cool. AND he can play guitar like a mother****er
i didnt see anythig in that little picture that reminds me of SRV at all... looks like a sun and a flower
Quote by Yagushgi
It should be legal to kill each other. That'd put an end to debates and forums like this AND help with population control.
Quote by Vincent745
stfu you stupid ass cracker. go eat some chocolate ass cream.

Quote by RockGuitar92
Quote by SeveralSpecies
*reads a long list*

Ok that's all!

*kills self*

Wrong thread, perhaps?
Quote by Doppelgänger
Wrong thread, perhaps?

No I was checking my long list of things I need to know before I die.
didnt know there were so many John M. haters here... i love his music.. and his guitar playing is one of the most sentimental ever...

that is one cool tat
Ya if you didnt notice, he loves Stevie Ray Vaughan. His [John's] blues style is greatly influenced by SRV. But what blues isnt inpsired by Stevie at least a little?
Quote by St.Loony
Girls are complicated - Just turn gay and don't bother.

Quote by MightyAl
OK, so now, for Christmas, I'd like the ability to have an erection again.

Quote by smartguyreviews
one time i got up in the middle of the night to take a shit... and the toilet seat was warm....
John Mayer ftw.

Oh, and the John Mayer Trio is some of the best music ever. It embodies the term Blues-Rock
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
No I was checking my long list of things I need to know before I die.

Oh, ok.

I thought you meant to post this in the "How would you kill yourself?" thread.
Quote by CarlShahuesa
i didnt see anythig in that little picture that reminds me of SRV at all... looks like a sun and a flower

Did you not see the SRV above it?
Quote by Soul-Monger
You didn't need to make a second topic?

The picture looks like a cologne ad. XD

it's a GAP ad. i first saw it when i went to New York.
Quote by Zenith Lead
Ya if you didnt notice, he loves Stevie Ray Vaughan. His [John's] blues style is greatly influenced by SRV. But what blues isnt inpsired by Stevie at least a little?

The blues that came before SRV prbably wasn't influenced by SRV at all.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
The blues that came before SRV prbably wasn't influenced by SRV at all.

Nah, he was that good...
old pic, he has a full sleeve tat now
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
Quote by KetchupLad14
Am I the only one that likes old John Mayer as well as new?

negative, i do too, got all three indepen. cd's and try, two of his best solos are in Bold as love on Continuum, he bummed that one off of hendrixx but he perfected it man, and try on his try album.
Quote by ehwalled
old pic, he has a full sleeve tat now

post us a pic then i wanna see i read somewhere he would get more.
i listened to i'm gonna find another you

no offense to john mayer fans, but I thought it wasn't very good at all...I'm a huge fan of hendrix and SRV, so I really dislike john mayer. He just seems like a watered-down version of hendrix/SRV to me. He actually does have some technical skill but he chooses to make songs that appeal to the mainstream, which I dislike.

I'm gonna find another you reminds me of SRV's "life without you," except to me it's just much worse.

the other song that was mentioned (something like "good love on the way" I think it was), was alright, but the beginning was the biggest rip off of zeppelin's "white summer" that I've ever heard...

He is a great guitarist, but just not for me I guess.
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at May 5, 2008,
Quote by KetchupLad14
Am I the only one that likes old John Mayer as well as new?

No you're not. John has ALWAYS been cool, way back during Room for Squares and now with Continuum. He's one of the smartest, funniest and most talented musicians around today who can write great pop and blues songs.

As much as people hate on his earlier stuff, it's still better than what most songwriters are capable of. He's not a corporate product like most music these days...he's an honest singer-songwriter.

Even something as "stupid" as 'Your Body is a Wonderland'. He wrote it for his then-girlfriend He won a Grammy for that. Even John admits it was a stupid song. He said that same thing about his second Grammy for 'Daughters'. He thought it was the wrong choice for a single.

But, hey, let the man himself tell you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79lhGWwI3kw
Quote by ilikeguitar90
i listened to i'm gonna find another you

no offense to john mayer fans, but I thought it wasn't very good at all...I'm a huge fan of hendrix and SRV, so I really dislike john mayer. He just seems like a watered-down version of hendrix/SRV to me. He actually does have some technical skill but he chooses to make songs that appeal to the mainstream, which I dislike.

I'm gonna find another you reminds me of SRV's "life without you," except to me it's just much worse.

the other song that was mentioned (something like "good love on the way" I think it was), was alright, but the beginning was the biggest rip off of zeppelin's "white summer" that I've ever heard...

He is a great guitarist, but just not for me I guess.

good love is on the way is good but who did you think i was incredible so funky and refreshing. John to me seems mainstream and very low key at the same time.
All that pop stuff john does seems like a headache to him he even nashed his single "say" a little bit, he said he feels like he cheated his fans a little something along those lines.
lol John Mayer
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by sixhundredsix
No you're not. John has ALWAYS been cool, way back during Room for Squares and now with Continuum. He's one of the smartest, funniest and most talented musicians around today who can write great pop and blues songs.

As much as people hate on his earlier stuff, it's still better than what most songwriters are capable of. He's not a corporate product like most music these days...he's an honest singer-songwriter.

Even something as "stupid" as 'Your Body is a Wonderland'. He wrote it for his then-girlfriend He won a Grammy for that. Even John admits it was a stupid song. He said that same thing about his second Grammy for 'Daughters'. He thought it was the wrong choice for a single.

But, hey, let the man himself tell you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79lhGWwI3kw

Don't hang up or this is over!! F*** Lol that was so funny
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
Hes cool, and if he has to idolize someone SRV is a good choice. But when are we going to get someone that can do something new? Not different, new. Big difference.
We're only strays.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
I really dislike john mayer. He just seems like a watered-down version of hendrix/SRV to me. He actually does have some technical skill but he chooses to make songs that appeal to the mainstream, which I dislike.

You're one of those, "The mainstream has embraced it, therefore I dislike it!" people, aren't you? You guys crack me up. Mayer took a pretty big risk by throwing his signature sound out and going blues, which has been his passion in music all along. If he would've fallen flat on his face and appealed only to blues guys with his new stuff, you would like it.
Page 1 of 2