Ok first off I'm sorry, yes there is yet another new guitar advice thread!!! please don't crucify me..

OK

I want to upgrade from my squier strat to an epiphone les paul. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should save. Is a good quality epiphone les paul around 600$?
I'm seeing varying prices around the internet...
I'm pretty set on getting an epiphone les paul unless someone has some piece of advice so valuable that it will change my outlook on life... thanks everyone
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I got a epiphone les paul and its mint and it cost me $1000NZ which is appox 700 or so american dollars
From the epi's I've seen the best for SURE is the customs. I've played some gibsons that feel worse than some epi customs. I really can't say enough about 'em. If I had the cash, that's what I'd go for. Anyway, they're right in your price range really. I think 700, but used for 6 definitely.
The standards are ok, but if you can at all, I'd go with a custom.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
cool thanks guitarism12, anyone else have experience with this guitar? any other suggestions?
AROUND THE WORLD

quick question: a "standard" guitar means, made by the actual company, not a knock off right?

so whats a "custom" guitar mean?
AROUND THE WORLD

ahh....the good old days with a squier.

ya, anyway.....

you should just keep your mind on that les paul. Its probably the best guitar for people looking for an upgrade from those ratchety old things we call squiers.

um...the price isn't bad, mine was only $300 at my local shop, noting it was used.

If your looking to stay with fender.....you should get a mexican fat strat. Ive heard its very realiable from some of my buddies.

all in all, go to your local store, look for that les paul, see if you can find a decent used one (try it out first), buy it, leave, rock out!
i payed 345 for my 06 epi lp standard, its in perfect condition n plays superb. ty ebay!!
NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Standard" and "Custom" are referring to the epiphone models. One model is called the "Standard", and one the "Custom". They have others as in the "Standard plus top" and such, but it's just the model name, just like "Prius" is the model name of a Toyota car.

glad I could help with that.

Anyway, the "customs" clearly look better, but they also play better

By the way, when in doubt, check the headstock, and on the truss rod cover it will read "Standard" or "Custom"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
i have an epi lp custom...got it off my local craigslist

nearly brand new, set-up professionally, hardshell case, dimarzio cable, capo, 3 packs of strings for $415

ya trick ya!
epi lp custom ftw.
Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Evo XM with EMG 81/85
Epiphone Stratocaster
Eastman AC120 Dreadnought
Martin Backpacker
Squire P-Bass
Kala Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
ok thanks strat212 thanks for clearing that up...

ok so i'm gonna save up my money, and then go try out some epiphones thanks everyone.
AROUND THE WORLD

Well depends on what kind of les paul your after. You can get a new les paul from around $300-$1000
Keep in mind, I STRONGLY suggest you go with the custom if you're going with Epiphone les pauls. The standard is the ONLY other option, all the rest of the models are crap. Yet again, I have to say you will probably be far happier with a custom.
That being said, there are a number of smaller companies that make les paul copies, like Hagstrom, but you have to be careful going with one of those, as they may look good but be badly built.
I personally, if I had the money, would go with an epiphone custom.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist