Hey guys, I've been browsing around and I've heard of an 18v mod for EMG active pickups. Naturally, I kind of just assumed that the inclusion of the extra battery would just make the EMG's well... More EMG-ish. More bite, grip, crunch, you know that EMG sound.

Well, I've been thinking about getting a guitar with EMG's (actually I'm more than thinking of it, I'm getting one with EMG's or installing them the moment I can)

So I figured I should know the following:

-What does the extra 9v do?
-What effect does it take on your tone?
-How does it work?
-You use 2 9v, correct?
-If I installed it and didn't like it, could I just take a battery out and go back to the one battery sound?
-How would I go about installing it?
-What materials would I need, or would I have to get a pro to do it?
-What effect does it have on battery life? Will one pup last twice as long or will it eat batteries at 2x the rate of the regular 9v setup?
-Would there be any routing involved if I put this mod in say, a Jackson RR24?
-Approximently how much do all the materials cost?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I just read it made the cleans a bit better, which would really help me, as I'm thinking of getting the aforementioned Jackson RR24, and the nicer the cleans the better, because I play in a Jazz band, but I can't really afford to have a guitar for Jazz band and a guitar for my own use (Metal pretty much - I'm kind of an aspiring neo-classical shred guy, only minus the shred... And talent...), so the guitars have to overlap, and personally my use comes before the schools use, because they hardly ever hear me anyway.

Thanks for any help guys
Oh, another question I had is would the SD Blackout pickup also be able to be modded to 18v? I may decide to switch out the 81 for a Blackout eventually, and I don't want to have to tear stuff out of my guitar if I'd have to.

I guess I have another question, for a RR V shape like the RR24 do you guys think I'd really need strap locks? I mean I play in a jazz band, I'm not throwing this around.
Quote by edusty2010
-What does the extra 9v do?
gives you more headroom.

Quote by edusty2010
-What effect does it take on your tone?
not much. make it less compressed.

Quote by edusty2010
-How does it work?
works fine. lasts a long time.

Quote by edusty2010
-You use 2 9v, correct?
yes.

Quote by edusty2010

-If I installed it and didn't like it, could I just take a battery out and go back to the one battery sound?
yes, just put the wires back where they were before.

Quote by edusty2010
-How would I go about installing it?
add another battery clip in series with the original

Quote by edusty2010
-What materials would I need,
a 9V battery clip and a 9V battery

Quote by edusty2010
or would I have to get a pro to do it?
i have no idea whether you are capable of wiring 2 battery clips in series or if you can even feed yourself. this is the internet. we get all kinds here.

Quote by edusty2010
-What effect does it have on battery life? Will one pup last twice as long or will it eat batteries at 2x the rate of the regular 9v setup?
Neither. They both run off the same pair of batteries. The battery life will be a little shorter than normal.

Quote by edusty2010
-Would there be any routing involved if I put this mod in say, a Jackson RR24?
don't know. is there room for a second battery in the compartment? if not, you'll need to rout.

Quote by edusty2010
-Approximently how much do all the materials cost?
if you don't have to rout / add or change the battery compartment, less than $1

Quote by edusty2010
Oh, another question I had is would the SD Blackout pickup also be able to be modded to 18v?
probably. check the SD site. can Blackouts run on 18V ?

Quote by edusty2010
I may decide to switch out the 81 for a Blackout eventually, and I don't want to have to tear stuff out of my guitar if I'd have to.
changing the pickups is way more work than changing from 9V to 18V.

Quote by edusty2010
I guess I have another question, for a RR V shape like the RR24 do you guys think I'd really need strap locks? I mean I play in a jazz band, I'm not throwing this around.
need them? of course not. if you needed them, they'd be standard equipment, wouldn't they?

straplocks are dead cheap.
and they reduce the risk of your guitar landing on the floor.
if you can afford to pay jackson prices for an ugly guitar, you can afford staplocks.
or you can afford to repair or replace it, when and if it falls.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by chikin pickle
I suppose not, but it's generally a good idea. Although why play a RR V in a jazz band?

The kid who really is only in Jazz band to learn theory because my really dirt poor school (we're currently the 3rd smallest in ohio) doesn't have a theory class. I don't have the money to spend on a guitar for my personal use AND another one for Jazz band, if I could get something like this and an LP then believe me, I would. Just because it would fit in more and more importantly be better suited for Jazz, but in this case I'm buying the guitar, so it's going to meet my requirements.

If the school was getting the guitar or even helping me I'd say yeah the LP would be good because it's more of a Jazz guitar and we should get something to the schools requirements that they could use for years to come because they're chipping in, but they're not. I'm sorry, I'm not shelling out over a grand for a guitar I don't want just to fit in.

EX:

Would you pay that much for a classical guitar if you didn't want a classical guitar?

I'll be working my whole summer to get this and a new amp, so whatever I buy with the money I've worked for is what I'm going to play - if it's a B.C. Rich Draco or a Gibson Les Paul or a RR24, I worked for it, and that's what I'll play unless someone wants to give the school a guitar that's not falling apart.

I've payed for all my gear and donated my time to give a little bit of rhythm to the band, I've written solos, I've learned theory for improv, I'll play whatever guitar I want. I don't care if I don't "fit in". If the band teacher or anyone else isn't happy with that, I want them to chuck out a grand for a guitar, and I'll gladly play that guitar. But an LP is not what I want, so I'm not going to be the one buying it.

End

SomeoneYouKnew, thanks for the clarification. After looking at some diagrams I'm pretty much positive I can do this, I guess I thought it would be much harder than it was, I have a really bad tendency to work up things that are probably simple.

I know about the pup change, I was just wondering if I modded the 81 for 18v if I could put the Blackout in without tearing out all the circuitry I put in for the 18v mod.

Thanks for the help guys!
the rr24 has a single battery size holder,and the contacts from the battery contact
a metal plate to transfer the juice,not a clip/battery harness,so,obviously it is possible to modify this guitar for the 18v mod,it is a little involved,ie routing and/or wiring
Look at the date man, well over a year old.

Reported for close.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man