so i've been practicing this lick in a song for a few weeks; got it up to 135bpm (the song's at 160 bpm alt picked on 1 string) and was damned proud because the fastest i can alt pick across strings is 130bpm for a scalar run. i'd been practicing it slowly to get it clean, and had been practicing it with correct picking technique (wrist only)

then my friend hears the song, decides he wants to learn it too. i link him to the tabs and he pretty much gets it up to speed his first time seeing the tabs. its so f**king discouraging 'cause he's been playing for about half as long as i have (i've been going for 1 yr 7 mo, he's been playing almost a year).

anyways, yeah, i was pretty proud of my progress until my friend pretty much blew me to f**king hell w/ how quickly he got it down. i know i shouldn't be irritated with him, but it happens with a lot of other songs i try to play too. it happened with "i'm alright" by neil zaza, where i had been trying it for a couple of weeks and he gets it in a few days. it's pretty messed up of me though for feeling like this i guess. after all, he's my buddy and yeah, he practices a hell of a lot more than me (maybe like 3-4 hours a day compared to my 1-2hours). but still, the feeling of pouring effort into a song for a few weeks, only to have someone who hasnt played for as long and beat your progress on said song in one day is really, really, really, really discouraging

so, i'm putting myself on a self embargo. no more youtube, tv, or other stuff until i get to 140 bpm. even though it's not as fast as the song or as fast as my friend, i'll be happy if i can get up to that speed in another few weeks.

/end rant
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
tl;dr
but i know how you feel, not really im so good i can master any song the first time i see it.
but really i knwo how you feel
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
it means you need to get better in general....
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
i will actually give a serious response
that sucks. i can understand how u feel. the thing is it seems like the practice difference is what helps him excel rite now..im like u. im not able to practice as much as i would like but good luck to u
Quote by guylee
he practices twice as much as you. what do you expect?

hey bballplayer, was that really necessary?

When I saw the picture on google images, it was a lot smaller. I'm sorry
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
dude, just practice your ass off. No lie, up the amount of practice per day and you will really see an improvement.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by guylee
he practices twice as much as you. what do you expect?

hey bballplayer, was that really necessary?

the thread was not meant to say anything along the lines of "hey, my friend practices twice as much as me but i still expect to be as good as he is"

it was just a little something i typed up since it was really bothering me how effortless he made it seem after only a day of playing it, while i'd been into that one song over the course of almost a month for an hour or two a day
Quote by Sicko 21X7
People are good at different things. Maybe your friend is better at learning songs than you are, maybe not.
It's really not that big of a deal man, brighten up.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Maybe you should spend less time stealing pants and more time practicing. =O
sig goes here
its because you spend too much time in the pit

but seriously now,

I know exactly how it feels, its happened to me a million times.

but i dont have as much time to practice, since my buddies never had jobs, and i was AWAYS working...

sorry mang ya just gotta practice.

try using your wrist more when you fap
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

It could be he has a photographic memory or the like, so he doesn't need to spend as much time memorizing ****. OR he could have great hand body coordination or whatever would help that
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Okay, maybe you started playing guitar before him.

But he has practiced more than you. And practice is the important part, not how long it's been since you started playing.

Don't be irritated at him. Be irritated at yourself for not practicing more.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
keep arnold in this thread!

that pic gave me lols and lols.
I have no opinion on this matter.
i feel for you man
i remember i when started guitar it seemeed like everybody had progressed quicker than me, but i just practiced all the time and now im better than most the people at my school who just strum chords on there yamahas to impress girls.
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
Quote by Explicit User
try using your wrist more when you fap

dude, i'm asian. small dongs = it's all in the wrist whenever i fap

seriously though, yeah, i already use primarily my wrist for picking
Quote by Sicko 21X7
link to the tab. i want to see how fast i can do it on my acoustic on the first try.

Well, my best friend reckons that now I'm better than him at guitar, and although that's not quite true I have reached his level in less time than him. However I'm now surrounded by musicians who although they have been playing longer than me are a lot better than me, and makes me want to not play anything around them because they're so much better than me...
sig goes here
Quote by Zugunruhe
link to the tab. i want to see how fast i can do it on my acoustic on the first try.

Yeah same here.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/aya_hirano/god_knows_ver2_tab.htm

it's straight up alternate picking on the high e string with some legato thrown in

i can do it almost up to speed if i use my elbow to pick, but it feels awkward as hell, so i'm wrist exclusive at 25 bpm slower =\

that'll change in a few weeks though, believe me
Quote by Sicko 21X7
is it the part where it's like 16-0-0-0-14-0-0, etc?

it's not a hard lick at all, it's the speed that's killing me though
my right hand has always been the "retarded" hand, so yeah, i can do the legato part pretty much up to speed since my left hand isn't really that bad but my right hand can't keep up at all, even with just one string
Quote by Sicko 21X7
im almost up to speed on my acoustic. if i had an electric on me i could probably play it. im pretty close, though.
I can almost play it... it's not really that hard man, those 16/14/12 triplets are getting to me but i'll have it in like 10 minutes.

Anyway, proves, I'm one of those people who ****s my friends because I never practice and I can pick it up...

Ok, I can play almost all of it up to speed except for the string changing bits... meh, I have to go teach soon so i'll work on it when I get back Good luck man, just practice heaps, and don't just practice songs, exercises and stuff. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at May 6, 2008,