I have a black Squire Strat that I love. It was my first guitar. It is cheap, but I love the way the neck feels, and the way it plays. I am very happy with it for the $150 I spent. I put (white)Fender SCN pickups in it.($200) Sounds nice. I recently upgraded the pick guard, rear trem cover, tuners, bridge, knobs, strap buttons and other misc stuff to all black parts. So I have a cheap blacked out Strat with nice pickups.

I just upgraded the pickups in my Les Paul. I was considering putting the stock Epi LP pickups in my Strat. I think they are decent pickups, they sounded good in my LP. I cant see spending anymore $ on this thing. I will be doing all the work myself, so it is not going to cost me anything. So since the pickups are just sitting here I was thinking about installing them. I think if anything, my blacked out Strat will look cool as hell with stainless steal covered humbuckers in the neck and bridge. Now that brings up a couple things.

I know there is room in the body for the bridge one. I know I will have to mod my pick guard to fit the humbucker, or buy a new one already cut out for one. No problem there.

The neck... I am going to have to take a router to the body. I don't believe there is enough room inside to fit it, so I will have to make room. And mod the pick guard.

This is what I would like advice on.

1. Should I just do the bridge, and leave the other 2 alone?

2. Should I do the neck and bridge, and leave the middle alone?

3. Should I do the neck and bridge and take the middle out or not hook it up and just wire the neck and bridge to my switch the way a LP is wired. 3 way (neck-neck/bridge-bridge)

Do you think it would look stupid with just one in the bridge?
Would it look stupid with them in the neck and bridge, and still have the white single coil in the middle. If I had to I would spray paint or replace the middle pickup cover black, then put it in and either hook it up or leave it unhooked.

Thanks.
Last edited by ninja23 at May 8, 2008,
I think you should do choice number one because a strat is known for its middle and neck sounds. If you install both humbuckers you will end up with 2 guitars which are the same man
Quote by gibder
I think you should do choice number one because a strat is known for its middle and neck sounds. If you install both humbuckers you will end up with 2 guitars which are the same man

True but, we are not talking about a fender here. Remember it's a cheap squire. And the guitars will be set up similar but will have different pickups and body styles to complement the tone.

I play a lot of lead stuff on my neck. Wont the HB give me a creamier thicker tone?

I dont know, i think it would look equally good with one or both.

Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate it.
i would put it in the bridge, i think you'd want to keep that single-coil neck pickup tone, strats are know for and have a nice agressive bridge tone.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
personlly, i like the HSS config for the reasons mentioned above. you sound like you know what you are doing as far as the wiring. right? my only question is will that PUP work in strat tone wise and pot wise etc?

i JUST got my SD Custom Custom SH11/TB in the mail today and am swapping out the SH4 (JB) I have now. In my blackened strat.

Can you post pick of pups so i can see what they look like?
this is how mine looks now:
;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
personlly, i like the HSS config for the reasons mentioned above. you sound like you know what you are doing as far as the wiring. right? my only question is will that PUP work in strat tone wise and pot wise etc?

i JUST got my SD Custom Custom SH11/TB in the mail today and am swapping out the SH4 (JB) I have now. In my blackened strat.

this is how mine looks now:
;

Yes, I am good with wiring, I know what I am doing. I am not sure what you mean by tone wise and pot wise. I used a micrometer and measured the strings from E to e and the Strat was .55mm wider. That is a minimal difference as far as lining up the poles on the pickups to the strings. Is that what you meant?

And yes I would be interested in pics. Are you installing just the bridge pickup, and is it nickle covered, or open faced?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

;

They are just the stock SS covered pickups with 2 wires.

Thanks.

Here is mine right now.

Last edited by ninja23 at May 6, 2008,
i was talking about your stock Epi's you want to put in. i was just wondering what they looked like out of curiosity. maybe thats it in your avatar. just asking as my JB is way to bright in my strat and reason for now swapping.

good luck

;
Ya my Epi is my avatar.

I am just bored and think a SS covered pickup will look good in it. I have a extra pick guard, so I will be cutting that one for test. If it doesn't sound good I am only out a pack of strings.

I have another question. Are all strats like this?

My bridge pickup is not connected to the tone knobs. It is full tone all the time. My friend has one to and his is the same way. I noticed there is a empty pin on the switch for the bridge pickup.

Whenever I play anything clean, I am on the middle, middle/neck or middle/bridge depending on the sound I am looking for. I put the tone for the middle pickup all the way up.

I would like to be able to adjust the tone for the bridge. I was just thinking about un soldering the middle pickup from the output to the tone knob which should make the middle full tone all the time. Then using the second tone knob for controlling the bridge.

What do you think? Swapping the second tone knob from the middle to bridge and leave the middle full? I know I can add another knob or combine the neck and bridge to use one tone knob, but I always use my middle at full tone.
i'm almost falling asleep as i type so will re-review this tomorrow. but i think what you just described is how mine is and i'm actually going to swap it back to stock config. i'll be inside of mine prolly thurs or so so i'll see on that empty pin thing.

the way mine is configured right now i can roll the middle tone knob all the way down and the selector almost acts like a kill switch. when 5 way is all the way down at bridge pos it is def only bridge pos but like i said, i can't think anymore.

later
;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 6, 2008,
It's all done!!!

I put my stock LP stainless steal neck and bridge pickups in my Strat. I left the Fender SCN pickup in the middle, and is still hooked up.(wasn't sure if I just wanted 2 HB like a LP or 3 pickups)

I took a router, and made the body cavity for the neck pickup bigger to fit the humbucker. I used a micrometer and measured exactly where I needed to cut the pick guard for the neck and bridge pickups. Everything came out perfect. Sounds awesome. Looks so F'in cool too.

As for the 5 way switch and tone knobs. I previously stated that no matter what combination of my bridge I was using, I had no tone control for it. I bought it brand new, it was like that from day 1. My friend also has one, and his does the same thing. I am not sure if all Strats are like that or just Squires. First tone knob only controls the neck, the second tone knob only controls the middle and the bridge is always full tone with no control. I re-wired it so the second tone knob controls my bridge pickup, first still controls the neck, and my middle is on full (10) all the time. Whenever I use the middle, it is always full up so I figured I would dedicate the tone knob for my bridge.

I also screwed the bridge plated down to the body to help it keep tune. I don't use the bar anymore, so I figured what the hell. This thing held tune all day, for the first time since I bought it.

So overall I am amazed at the sound this thing puts out. The cleans are amazing when I mix the neck and middle. Distortion is boosted from the higher output humbucker. I will post some pics tomorrow. Definitely worth the time, effort and $150 I bought it for.
for his strat?

i think he's already made a swap which is why i was asking for pic's.

so Ninja23 - what did you end up doing with Single Coils in strat - put them in the Epi?

we need pic's of both guitars with or without final mod.

cool? later-

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 9, 2008,
HSH strats are very cool I think. This is my fender

There's a Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck wiht the original single coil in the midde.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
for his strat?

so Ninja23 - what did you end up doing with Single Coils in strat - put them in the Epi?

we need pic's of both guitars with or without final mod.

cool? later-

;

I think I am giving the single coils to my friend. I would not put singles in a LP. Pics are coming.
I have 2 strats with HH setup. The squire didnt need any work to fit the humbuckers. Even the neck one fit with no probs. On my profile its the one labeled stratopaul. My 83 elite the neck did need work to fit the EMGs. Kinda felt it needed something active in it as it came factory with EMGs. Being a lefty I had to make pickguards for em. And dont worry even being HH they still wont sound just like a LP. Neither of my 2 strats sound alike much less like my 2 LPs.
quality job that, well done

try coil splits for EVEN better cleans
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Looks great mate! Welcome to the HSH strat club

I think the neck humbucker in a strat sounds great
hey Ninja23 i actually have an extra black SC cap if you want it. Prolly wouldn't be cost effective to ship tho. I bought a 'black out' kit from GC on-line and did standard shipping (5-7 days) and it came the NEXT day. Because I have an HSS i have the extra SC cap just sitting here. The kits are only $20 i think but i bet you already knew that and i'm not sure where you live.

;
Blacking out the middle singlecoil would be cool, but if you could get a chrome cover for it (I'm sure someone somewhere makes them) that'd be even cooler looking IMO. I guess I just like black and chrome as long as there's a lot of chrome, black and a little bit of chrome is just kidna meh.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Thanks a lot guys. It was fun to do. I think it looks awesome now.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
how does it sound?;

Sounds good. The cleans are awesome when I mix the neck and middle. Distortion sounds a lot thicker and fuller. Pinch harmonics jump off the fretboard. Sounds very nice all around.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hey Ninja23 i actually have an extra black SC cap if you want;

Thank you very much but I might just look for a chrome one.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
are you going to go take this over to Guitar Building thread or did you already do dat?

;

No why should I have???
no - your cool

i would consider your initial question and all to be more about pick ups which is Gear and Accessories.

but now that you have done it, it bet there are folks over there that would appreciate it. i don't hang out there that much actually.

;
wow I was gonna' tell you to go with the choice you did, number 2..
instead of it being a ****ty squier, it's cool because it's modded out..
it's unique which is a big plug..

looks cool with the single coil in middle

really good job on the mod
Thanks again guys. I appreciate the compliments.

If anyone knows where I can find a chrome, nickel or stainless steal cover for my middle, please post a link.

Thanks.

***EDIT*** Nevermind, I found a website that sells a pack of 3 chrome covers for $11
Last edited by ninja23 at May 10, 2008,
i may poke around but it is getting late.

i think what you want is like Chrome plated plastic cover. Or Chrome paint.

if you find something like that buy several of them so you have em.

my fear would be that actual chrome plated steel or or nickel would affect the magnets and such in a bad way.

now is where you start a new thread over in GB&C, post a first and after pic, copy this URL link in your thread, tell them you want a Chrome SC cover, and see what they say.

then keep us posted here. i bet this has been covered before and there is also a PIC thread sticky i think so browse thru there too if you have not already.

Good luck wit dat and i hope it works. Congrats again on a nice transition imo.

;
get a chrome tremolo bridge cover
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808