Ok finally had time to get a clip together, just a short one, still working out the recording aspect of things so didnt want to waste my time if you guys think it sucks.

The new tubes are JJ's

click here, then on valveking new tubes

And yall tell me what you think...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 6, 2008,
Are you asking our opinion about the quality of the recording, or the sound with new tubes?
Quote by ninja23
Are you asking our opinion about the quality of the recording, or the sound with new tubes?

Whatever you want to chime in about. If something sounds off with the recording or the tone let me know. This is my first recoding without blown tubes so im starting fresh.
I will try not to comment on the amp. I don't think it's fair to you, as I hate valvekings. Hey at least I'm honest. The recording wasn't bad but sounded kind of distant, or unclear. I am not sure if you are scooping your mids to much or if it is due to the recording software or mic or whatever you used. It almost sounds like there is a blanket over the amp. I am not sure if what I am hearing is the amp or recording. When you record, it will sound different then just listening to yourself play. You might have to re EQ the amp to get a good recording sound. I would say bring the mids up a little and the bass down maybe.

Again I am not sure if it is the amp or recording. Overall the recording quality is not horrible. I dont know what you are using to record, but I get clear recordings just with my cheap mp3 player.(it has a mic) I suck so I dont need to record myself, but I do need to hear how I am progressing.
hrm.. sounds really shrill and throaty.

definitely not suitable for metal i liked the blown tube better, it was a bit darker and with a rounder tone.

all in all i think its all about the miking technique and less about the tubes tho..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I would like to know what you are using to record. I already established the fact that I suck, only been playing for a few months. I just uploaded 2 quick sound clips for you to check out in my profile here. Link Now these were recorded with a cheap mp3 player, and no recording software.
I hate to say this IP but, it would really help if you were not such a sloppy player, I dig you as a human man, and I don't want to hate on your playing at all, but the chord changes sound just flopped around.

The mic sounds like it can't handle the high end very well, and really recording clips for people on here is pointless, without proper recording gear. I joined one other forum that had the same VK bashing habit as UG, and made a thread saying "Just got my 5150! I'm pumped!" and just threw up a clip of my VK.

I was told how much rounder and full and other bull**** "guitar terms" it sounded than my old "starter" VK.

I'd say if you are happy with your tone, thats all that matters.

This is my old radioshack mic recording of a slightly scooped VK with the master volume below 1, but of course people will make up whatever they like about any clip. One person said it sounded to "rubbery".

Sure.

http://boomp3.com/listen/ew5qc87/vktest

I had one guy say about this clip that "yeah it sounds good on that recording but live it just sounds awful" as if a ****ty radioshack mic into a onboard audio card is going to make it sound BETTER? People are delusional. Guitarists more so than any other musicians I've ever met.

But like I said, these are kinda pointless for UG without super recording gear, as you're going to get OH IT SOUNDS "flat/to shrill/not rounded enough/not full enough/no depth/other bull****". Sounds good to you = all that matters.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Last edited by ParryPerson at May 6, 2008,
It sounds a lot better than before. Not great, but a marked improvement.

Quote by ParryPerson

I had one guy say about this clip that "yeah it sounds good on that recording but live it just sounds awful" as if a ****ty radioshack mic into a onboard audio card is going to make it sound BETTER? People are delusional. Guitarists more so than any other musicians I've ever met.

Wrong.

What sounds good in the bedroom will most likely sound bad live. You don't need as much bass live as you do playing on your own, too much bass and you won't sit in the mix.

So that guy was probably right.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at May 6, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
It sounds a lot better than before. Not great, but a marked improvement.

Wrong.

What sounds good in the bedroom will most likely sound bad live. You don't need as much bass live as you do playing on your own, too much bass and you won't sit in the mix.

So that guy was probably right.

You know this is a stupid post, so I'm not even going to rip it to shreds for the stupidity it presents.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ninja23
I would like to know what you are using to record. I already established the fact that I suck, only been playing for a few months. I just uploaded 2 quick sound clips for you to check out in my profile here. Link Now these were recorded with a cheap mp3 player, and no recording software.

Im using a Oktava mk319 condensor mic and a Electrovoice Co4 into a m-audio pre-usb into my laptop and audacity.

The blanket your hearing is the mic's being out of phase, for some reason i can never get them to snyc up right. Alot of guys call it a sea shell type sound. I've tried everything to get them in phase but nothing works. So, i've just been dealing with it.
Quote by ParryPerson
You know this is a stupid post, so I'm not even going to rip it to shreds for the stupidity it presents.

Feel free, because I didn't say anything remotely stupid in there.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by ParryPerson
I hate to say this IP but, it would really help if you were not such a sloppy player, I dig you as a human man, and I don't want to hate on your playing at all, but the chord changes sound just flopped around.

The mic sounds like it can't handle the high end very well, and really recording clips for people on here is pointless, without proper recording gear. I joined one other forum that had the same VK bashing habit as UG, and made a thread saying "Just got my 5150! I'm pumped!" and just threw up a clip of my VK.

I was told how much rounder and full and other bull**** "guitar terms" it sounded than my old "starter" VK.

I'd say if you are happy with your tone, thats all that matters.

This is my old radioshack mic recording of a slightly scooped VK with the master volume below 1, but of course people will make up whatever they like about any clip. One person said it sounded to "rubbery".

Sure.

But like I said, these are kinda pointless for UG without super recording gear, as you're going to get OH IT SOUNDS "flat/to shrill/not rounded enough/not full enough/no depth/other bull****". Sounds good to you = all that matters.

Thanks alot for your input Parry.. I wasn't going to post up another clip until i got a bit better playing wise (god knows i do suck lol) and also got my recording technique down but everyone wanted a clip of non-blown tubes so i posted it up. But yea i do need to find more time to practice and read up a bit more on the recording side of things.

And you are right on recording with the VK vs 6505 and other amps like Mesa's. I've heard some recordings and tones that sound like complete a$$ compared to mine which is sad. But just because it says Mesa on the amp everyone praise's the guy like he is a rock god.

But i don't really mind the bashing or negative opinions, i asked for um... Plus im not here to impress anyone and will never be in a band. I just enjoy fooling around with new gear and learning new stuff related to music.

And i wouldn't say im happy with my tone but i am content...
Quote by ParryPerson

there can be a remarkable difference to what sounds good, and what sounds good to YOU.

the guy asked for an opinion, i gave him mine. I'm not trying to run him down or make him feel stupid. Constructive criticism is the best way to improve what you're doing.

Its like working with people at your work.. if someone is doing a poor job, are you gonna tell them "its ok as long as you're happy with the work you perform"?

no, you're going to tell them that they need to improve on certain areas if they're going to be successful.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.