Page 1 of 2
I need help...I'm planning to get me either a prs se custom or singlecut. I just need help with what amp to get. I know that prs makes fine instruments, but I also know it will sound like crap through, say, an MG. any amp suggestions? I want to get a good solidstate because, I'm not gigging, though I do play in a band. Ive been playing for just over two years and I don't think I'm ready to cope with a high maintenance tube amp. Come to think of it, I have two main questions now

A. I really don't know have any experience with tube amps. I do know that they blow out or something and they have to replaced periodically. How often does that happen? Is a hybrid a good alternative? Like, do the tubes (in a hybrid amp) need to be replaced and all too; is it just as unreliable as a tube amp; does it have a "warm-up period"; and does it distort naturally too at a certain volume and does that sound like tube distortion?

B. I want to get a solidstate because I want something reliable; I'd only have one amp, not a tube and a backup SS. So I want reliability. I also want to be able to play clean sounds at higher volumes. What would you recommend with the prs se? my budget is 500 dollars for the amp, and I need it to be able to at least do small shows with a full band. Been looking into a carvin sx series amp. and don't diss carvin if you haven't even heard it. any amp suggestions?

Sorry if this was too long Any help will be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Last edited by penguinsarecool at May 6, 2008,
Just go all tube.
I say peavey classic series. You'll have to go used though.

It's easy to change tubes too, no biasing needed.
So, it's easier than changing a light bulb.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The amp i used to jam with with my PRS, well all i could afford, and sounded good is a Crate GFX212. For 500 you should be able to afford it. good luck
Quote by Bodom87
The amp i used to jam with with my PRS, well all i could afford, and sounded good is a Crate GFX212. For 500 you should be able to afford it. good luck

Eh...
Don't get that.

If you have the budget for tube, go tube.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Have backup tubes on hand?
Tubes last a while, so the odds of one just randomly dying on stage is quite low.
Just have backups.

Trust me, at your price range, tube amps are much better to get than SS.
The tonal difference is huge.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
okay..thanks for the input. what do u have to say about hybrids? soundwise, and what's the difference? I know that it's only the preamp that has the tubes, but why would someone get a hybrid over a full out tube amp?
^All marketing really.
Alot of people claim that just by adding a preamp tube to a solidstate amp gives it tube "feel". I have found that this isn't true.
Hybrids, IMO are only marginally better than solidstates.

So, in the end, people buy hybrids because the MF and GC descriptions say that they behave and sound like a tube amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The 30 watt goes for about 600 bucks new, but you can find them as low as 300 bucks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Bro i just bought a peavey classic 30 and it kicks ass!!! I love it. I had a marshall avt 20 which is a hybrid and i regret buying it. Not because it sucks, but because i should have just saved for a nice tube amp. I got lucky and got a peavey c30 for $340 new at guitarcenter. Just go in there and haggle before its to late and guitarcenter stops bargaining w/ people(next month)
There really arn't many good solid state amps around to be brutally honest. the only one id even concider buying is a Line6 Flextone. But for the money you are in tube amp territory.

Tubes will last a fair while if you look after them properly by warming up and allowing the m to cool down before transporting them if you gig. Sadly modern tubes dont have the longevity of the old school tubes. Its not uncommon for tubes made in the 60's and 70's to still work well. However some modern tubes will die after a year or two's use. Good job they are cheap to buy. unless of course your amp packs like 10 of the buggers!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Haha, I thought tubes last for like a few months only. Yea, I don't know much. how long is a "warm up" and "cool down" period?
Warm up is about 1 minute. Some people let it warm up for longer, but i dont think its necessary. Just tune up while it warms up. Also Peavey classics dont have a standby, so if you do get one, just leave the guitar volume on 0 while it warms up.
Well, nothing because the powertubes havent warmed up, so they arent amplifying the sound. It isnt really good for the tubes either
I see. It's still gonna take some convincing. I'd feel like a ten year old being given a Ferrari, If I get a tube amp. 0_o I've always had little, unknown-branded crappy amps. whenever I did shows, it was only in school and in church, and I always either used the PA system or the amps they have there. also, what if I need a clean sound, and the amp already distorts at the volume needed? uh oh
Quote by littlephil
Well, nothing because the powertubes havent warmed up, so they arent amplifying the sound. It isnt really good for the tubes either

i agree that it isn't good for them, but they WILL amplify the sound

TS, i'd just get myself a nine Line 6 flextone III, which is SS. you seem to worry about tube amps and i don't think you'd enjoy one much if you're constantly worrying about it.
after all, a flextone isn't that bad of an amp at all for a SS, especially when played loudly (strangely enough,but not too loud so it distorts).

my vote goes to a Flextone 3.
Quote by halikus
There really arn't many good solid state amps around to be brutally honest. the only one id even concider buying is a Line6 Flextone. But for the money you are in tube amp territory.

Tubes will last a fair while if you look after them properly by warming up and allowing the m to cool down before transporting them if you gig. Sadly modern tubes dont have the longevity of the old school tubes. Its not uncommon for tubes made in the 60's and 70's to still work well. However some modern tubes will die after a year or two's use. Good job they are cheap to buy. unless of course your amp packs like 10 of the buggers!

Mine has 10 tubes
Buying a PRS SE is like buying an epiphone LP. The name and SOME of the quality is there...but not quite all of it. PRS is a big name for its handmade guitars, not so much the SE. Not hijacking, just suggesting maybe think about the guitar a little more.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by penguinsarecool
I see. It's still gonna take some convincing. I'd feel like a ten year old being given a Ferrari, If I get a tube amp. 0_o I've always had little, unknown-branded crappy amps. whenever I did shows, it was only in school and in church, and I always either used the PA system or the amps they have there. also, what if I need a clean sound, and the amp already distorts at the volume needed? uh oh

Peavey classics have lots of clean headroom, so you'll be fine!
And when they start to distort on the clean channel, it still sounds pretty clean since the overdrive is chimey and articulate.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Most two channel amps won't start going into crazy overdrive at high volumes on the clean channel. Certainly it won't be as squeaky clean as it is at lower volumes, but you're not going to get any serious amount of distortion on the clean channel unless you use pedals.
There's a lot of misunderstood hype and BS associated with tube amps and though much of it's true, it's all relative and commonly not taken as it should be. Virtually every good tube amp will be loads more reliable than all but the best SS amps. Even mid-grade tube amps are more solid than a lot of people would like to lead on. The "unreliable" argument stems from the fact that tubes do eventually wear out and occasionally some idiot who never thought to change his tubes will have a power tube go down on stage and proceed to curse tube amps for the rest of his life. That being said, tubes are pretty darn robust for a wear item. Expect good preamp tubes to last for several years and the power tubes should last at least one year.

Think about it this way: There are tons of old tube amps still floating around that work and sound great. How many old solid state amps can you say the same thing about?

EDIT: And I think the PRS SE's are fine guitars considering the price. All the one's I've played have been of a higher level of fit and finish than most everything else in the price range I've played. That and they sound very good, not too vintage and not too modern. My only argument is I'm not a fan of the neck profile they use for the Custom and the Singlecut.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at May 6, 2008,
if a tube amp breaks, you take it to a tech and he replaces a component ot two

if a SS breaks, you buy a new amp

tube amps arent even that unreliable, buy one, thats the only way you'll appreciate how good they are, youre prolly sceptical but ask around, everyone is then they take the plunge and wont go back
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Id say most of the unreliable tube amp comments come from gigging musicians who crank their amps regularly and transport them a fair bit and for alot of the comments is due to not being able to properly warm the amp down before moving them into the van and driving home causing the components to start to creep. Nothing with electonics likes to be moved when warm.

I tend to warm up my gear for around 2-3 mins before playing although if the mood is right and i want to rock out il ignore that every now and again.

I leave it 10 mins or so before moving anything when I finish.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
so, I'll keep it on for 10 minutes after i'm done to cool it down?
..and thanks for all the input, I guess I do have a lot of misconceptions about tubes..

Does anyone have anything to say about Marshall's AVT series? I'm reading some good reviews about it, but I'm going to test it out later today, along with the other amps you all mentioned. I'm guessing, the tube(s) in the preamp need to be replaced too right?
Last edited by penguinsarecool at May 6, 2008,
Quote by penguinsarecool
so, I'll keep it on for 10 minutes after i'm done to cool it down?
..and thanks for all the input, I guess I do have a lot of misconceptions about tubes..

Does anyone have anything to say about Marshall's AVT series? I'm reading some good reviews about it, but I'm going to test it out later today, along with the other amps you all mentioned. I'm guessing, the tube(s) in the preamp need to be replaced too right?

AVT's are overpriced garbage.
what kind of music do you play? sorry if you already mentioned it, i scanned the thread again and couldnt find it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
sorry, I haven't mentioned it. All types of rock except really heavy metal. More modern rock than classic, I'm not old. I also love softer stuff, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and I want good clean sounds to blues to rock. No metal, country, or jazz type of stuff.
budget is around 500 USD. I don't think we have traynors in this part of the world. :| would you recommend a vox AD series?
Quote by penguinsarecool
budget is around 500 USD. I don't think we have traynors in this part of the world. :| would you recommend a vox AD series?
A Vox AD might be good for you.
If you're afraid of tubes, go for a Vox valvetronix.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Page 1 of 2