Hey. After learning on a Squier Jagmaster, I'm looking for a guitar that will allow me to play bar/power chords without starting to sound really mucky like my current one does.

Now I've researched around enough to know that I'm most likely looking for a single coil guitar. The three main guitars that people have recommended are a Tele, Strat, and SG. After trying all three of them out, the Tele and SG have stuck out for me. The Strat doesn't seem to have a great clean sound, whereas the Tele does. I haven't had a lot of time with the SG but I figure they're pretty good if they're as famous as they are. Does the position of the bridge pickup make up for it in terms of bright sound since it's a humbucker? Plus I'm not dead set on cool looks (obviously, since I'm looking at the telecaster), but damn does the SG look cool.

Can anyone offer a first hand account of either?
The wood that the body of your guitar is made is a major part for brightness and the such. An alder guitar will sound brighter than a basswood guitar, and a mahogany guitar will sound darker, and bassier than basswood and alder. For THE brightest tone, maple is your looking for with a single-coil pickup, though that'd be kind of ridiculous. I'd say the telecaster's twang is where it's at.
Just to clear something up for the TS, the telecaster is the epitome of cool looks. It doesn't get much sexier than the simplicity of a tele. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like an sg fits the sound you are looking for, although they are sweet guitars. I don't know if they make one or not, but an sg with p90's would probably be sweet. Also as far as the strat not giving a good clean tone, I don't know what strat you played but I own both a tele and strat and while the tele gives the coolest (IMO) clean tone, the strat definitely has some bright clean tones that are great for all sorts of musical styles. What kind of music do you play most? That may make a difference in your decision making.
~Nick
for the absolute BRIGHTEST tone i reccomend a fender tele and a good amp. A good marshall jcm would do.
Quote by ccrnnr9
Just to clear something up for the TS, the telecaster is the epitome of cool looks. It doesn't get much sexier than the simplicity of a tele. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like an sg fits the sound you are looking for, although they are sweet guitars. I don't know if they make one or not, but an sg with p90's would probably be sweet. Also as far as the strat not giving a good clean tone, I don't know what strat you played but I own both a tele and strat and while the tele gives the coolest (IMO) clean tone, the strat definitely has some bright clean tones that are great for all sorts of musical styles. What kind of music do you play most? That may make a difference in your decision making.
~Nick

teles are amazing, and they do make a p90 sg... its called the sg classic
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
What kind of amp do you have? Amps have a LOT to do with how muddy your sound is.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
What kind of amp do you have? Amps have a LOT to do with how muddy your sound is.

I have a Marshall MG15cd I believe. I think it's on my guitar's end for the most part, though. I found a Marshall amp almost exactly like mine at the store to play on and it still sounded worlds better than what I'm currently getting with the Jagmaster.

Any suggestions for a better amp are welcome as well.
You are likely to see the biggest difference in the purchase of a new amp. What kind of music do you play? That is likely to make a huge difference in what people suggest to you. Bottom line as far as amps go is that you should get a true tube amp for a great tone. A good tube amp can be had for 200$ or less. How much do you have to spend?
~Nick
I play a lot of types of music, but most recently I've noticed that my guitar hasn't really allowed for Queen/Muse/My Chemical Romance style playing. I like to be able to play a wide range of stuff.
Well no mention of your budget, but with the stated artists I would look for something that is versatile. Blackheart makes a combo for around 299$ that is superb or so I hear. I hear they are extremely versatile and can play most anything. I have a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 that is good for everything I play (blues, rock, alternative, etc.) but would be lacking for heavier stuff. At $200 I am not sure it can be beat. It has tonal, gain, and master volume controls, 2 inputs, and a headphone jack. I really like the sound of mine however if you spend 1-200 more you are likely going to get something with even better tone.
~Nick
Oh well in that case I would do one of two things:

If that budget is just for the amp then you have a ton of options. I would personally go with something like a Fender Blues Jr., Epiphone Blues Custom, or Peavey Valveking 112. All of those amps give phenomenal tones as well as have some cool features. I really like the sound of Fender amps so that is probably what I would do. All of those are under $600.

If that amount is for a guitar AND amp, I would look at getting either a Valveking Royal 8 practice amp (what I have...phenomenal tone and if mic'd you could use it to gig) and spend the remaining $400 on a MIM tele or strat. They are a good value. If you don't mind going used, you can save yourself a couple hundred. I see a lot of MIM's that are in perfect condition go for ~$250 just because someone bought it and never learned to play and want to get rid of it.

If you insist on buying new and tax on those items will set you over your budget, grab a new MIM tele or strat and save some money by getting an epiphone valve jr. amp. Super awesome tone (perhaps better than the VK) but with no features. You can always buy pedals later on for effects. I would have bought that amp had it not been for the fact that I really wanted a headphone jack in the amp I bought.
~Nick