So me and my friend have been jamming throughout the year together. I play drums and he plays guitar. But since it is just us two we really can't go anywhere with our music. It's pretty much he learns a cover song and i play drums to it, or we make some riffs and i play drums to it. So we have been trying to find a bass player and singer. But as you all know there are very few bass players available, so we are now at a point with a couple options.

1. Our friend who plays bass, but is into metal (we're more into classic rock)
2. One of my friends who mainly plays guitar but can also play bass, the only problem is he is unreliable, and unexperienced at bass and it is obvious he does not really enjoy playing bass.
3. A kid we found on craigs list, we jammed with him last week and the music sounded good. But the guy seemed really sketchy, he looked creepy, barley spoke, and supposedly had been playing for 4 years but did not know how to play any songs?

Option 4. Keep hunting for someone else
Option 5. I also play bass, and did in my old band so I have experience and knowledge, but then that would mean finding a drummer which we don't know anybody. And not to brag about myself but I am pretty skilled at drums and don't know if i could stand having someone with less skill than me playing. I would also be willing to sing even though I have never sang before.

Your thoughts?
I think it's probably best to try your mate who's into metal, if he's not doing anything else at the moment, it may just be enough to get you started and even get a few gigs under your belt.
If he leaves later due to musical differences, you'll probably find it easier to replace him if the band have already established themselves localy.
Quote by TNA

3. A kid we found on craigs list, we jammed with him last week and the music sounded good. But the guy seemed really sketchy, he looked creepy, barley spoke, and supposedly had been playing for 4 years but did not know how to play any songs?

give that guy another couple of shots, chances are there was you and your friend who knew each other and he was nervous/shy as ****. give him another couple of practices to see if he loosen's up abit.
Quote by FuzzyBear
give that guy another couple of shots, chances are there was you and your friend who knew each other and he was nervous/shy as ****. give him another couple of practices to see if he loosen's up abit.

He seemed really creepy though, he had this crazy goatee. And since we don't know him I don't know if he just looks weird or he's really a rapist. Sadly I am judging the book by it's cover.
Quote by TNA
He seemed really creepy though, he had this crazy goatee. And since we don't know him I don't know if he just looks weird or he's really a rapist. Sadly I am judging the book by it's cover.

Give him another shot. Hes probably just nervous cuz he doesnt know you guys. I know I act like that everytime we try out a new person.
Yea I would give that guy another shot and maybe jam with you metal friend as well and see who fits better. On another note, some people just don't bother learning songs, personally I have very little interest in learning other people's songs, I don't want to be in a cover band and I prefer writing my own music versus playing others.

that said, if he's played for 4 years and doesn't know any songs AND doesn't know his theory, he's doing something wrong or just not really practicing.
Quote by TNA

Isn't that like, the definition of a bass player though? (I kid, but only somewhat.) Anyway, it's not thaaaat wierd for someone to not know any songs all the way through from memory. Honestly, I picked up bass three or four years ago, and then switched to guitar a year or so later, but only memorized other people's material (all the way through, not just bits and pieces) starting maybe five or six months ago, and only because I wanted songs to sing along to (that weren't my own.)

So unless this kid is like, five years older than you or something, I would give him time to grow on you. (And if you are reeeeeeally afraid of him being a rapist, just put in a butt plug before he shows up.)

However, you may also want to give the first kid a shot as well. Have you asked him about it, or mentioned the idea to him to get an idea of how enthusiastic he is about it? If he is like "yeah, whatever" don't bother, but he might be looking for a band as is, and just want experience.
Quote by TNA
He seemed really creepy though, he had this crazy goatee...

Members like that will probably attract people to your band. I would hire him anyway.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I think it's probably best to try your mate who's into metal, if he's not doing anything else at the moment, it may just be enough to get you started and even get a few gigs under your belt.
If he leaves later due to musical differences, you'll probably find it easier to replace him if the band have already established themselves localy.

See if it works out with him and if not hunt for someone else.

As for the craigslist guy it seems like you're judging him prematurely. However, if you have a strong bad feeling about him stay away. I firmly believe that sometimes we instinctively know things about people and that it is very important to listen to these feelings.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
See if it works out with him and if not hunt for someone else.

As for the craigslist guy it seems like you're judging him prematurely. However, if you have a strong bad feeling about him stay away. I firmly believe that sometimes we instinctively know things about people and that it is very important to listen to these feelings.

I'd agree with that, trust your instincts.
It's important that you pick the bassist that you can all get on well with, even more important (to a cirtain extent) than playing ability.
That's why I suggested the metal bassist, because he's already a friend of yours and you know that you can get along with him.
For this reason, when bands are looking for new members, they generaly look to their mates first, musicians that they already know, and if non of them are available, that's when they start auditioning guys they've never met before.
As I said, being able to get along with band members is important, so if a guy you've auditioned is creeping you out, even if he's the best player in the world, it would still be better to go with someone you feel relaxed with.