Hey guys. After several problems w/ borrowing large amps from other people, [hour before the show: lulz, weher be teh pwr cord, lol], i decided to invest in one of my own. My limit is 400 USD. Ill be looking on craigslist, dont worry

Thanks

Also, I'm primarily aiming for wattage with the 'ideal' speaker recommendation [you pick]. Tone can be fiddled with but amps dont go above 10

ANNND, I have a fretless, if that means anything

EDIT: I am seriously considering the Hartke Kickback 1x12" 120 W

I searched and i KNOW carvin will come up.. Ill look into it
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Last edited by InvaderRen at May 6, 2008,
I dunno how far $400USD will go but £200 will get you quite a lot of bang for your buck.

I got my Ashdown 4x10 for £175 iirc. Admittedly, it was damaged (some prat set fire to part of it, Sam <_< ) but it sounds good. The 4x10 has a lot of middy punchiness to it and the 180W im getting out of it atm is cool for gigs in venues with PAs and house parties with drunk chicks. I can expand it to 300W if i want by getting another cab.

The correct speaker config should be down to what tone you want and believe me, its a bigger difference than you might think.

I've gone from a 1x15 to a 4x10 and there are some pros and cons. The 4x10 is tighter across all the range, lacks something lower down tho. It's got a flatter lower end but its still got its roundyness from the paper cones. The tweeter adds some sparkle to the highs.

The 1x15 could really boom, it was a sweet celestion speaker and if you wanted that fat, classic, big bass sound it was just there. Unfortunatly, it was a bit sloppy and lacks the clarity of the 10s i now have.

I've never extensively tried 12's (only about 5 hours experience and that was a VBA400) but I guess theyre sorta a half way house. If you can find a funky cab config (like a 1x10 + 1x15) then go for it!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I'd say a 412 or a 210 on top of a 115 is ideal if you're on a budget...just buy the speakers and build the cab yourself. (unless you can get a decent cab with your budget)

12's will generally work fine for almost anything, but they don't seem to be as common.

That Hartke is very good, but also not very loud as far as gigging goes.

For the amp I'd go Carvin, Ashdown, or Peavey...they seem to have the cheapest [useable] stuff. Peavy is the best if you're going used, as most everything they build would survive a nuclear holocaust. Most of it is heavy, though. (My 40W 112 is 50lbs)

edit: What the speaker configuration [roughly] boils down to 15s accent the lows, 12s the mids, and 10's the highs/high mids. 12s are perceived as the loudest as they accent the most prominent frequencies. 15s will be muddy and 10s will be tight, with 12s in between but closer to 10s.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at May 6, 2008,
Quote by fatgoogle
i didnt set fire to anything

No, but I may or may not have.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
how about the carvin BR610/BR615? Its a bit over my budget, but i would never have to buy another amp. Are they really 600 watts?
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by InvaderRen
how about the carvin BR610/BR615? Its a bit over my budget, but i would never have to buy another amp. Are they really 600 watts?

No, they are 400 watts out of the box. But that is still fairly loud. Loud enough for small gigs while still having some headroom.
Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo Amp how is that?

thats seems to be the biggest bang for the buck, besides the 400W Carvin,

EDIT: nvm, its backordered

DBL EDIT: how about the Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180 Combo Bass Amp?

TRPL EDIT: I purchased the Ashdown. Thanks for your help
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Last edited by InvaderRen at May 9, 2008,