hey UG,
my friend has this pretty decent solid state but he isn't to thrilled about his distortion on the amp. Hes guitar teacher has a model up from his and he loves that tone/distortion to bits. What do you reckon he should do?
When ya got a Laney(i got one too) ya gotta know it is an active amp. if your friend has also an active guitar, like a tele,he should put drive-reverb-tremble to 10\10. that should help. if he 's got a strat or an ibanez or something like a slim shaped metal guiotar, he should have thought twice cause Laneys are basically Clear sound amps and expert to nifty chord playing. he should try a line six
Quote by KenMasters
When ya got a Laney(i got one too) ya gotta know it is an active amp. if your friend has also an active guitar, like a tele,he should put drive-reverb-tremble to 10\10. that should help. if he 's got a strat or an ibanez or something like a slim shaped metal guiotar he should have thought twice cause Laneys are basically Clear sound amps and expert to nifty chord playing. he should try a line six

It completely depends on the model.
I've got the laney GH-50L, and its bloody heavy, crank the gain up, can play some very heavy stuff, even without pedals.
What model is it that he wants to upgrade too?

if he likes it then why not, alternatively, if he has a budget, we can suggest some other options that may be more suited.

Personally i wouldn't suggest any line 6's, especially not the spider. Peavy's are worth a look at.
wat about a distortion pedal... I'm pretty sure he likes everything bar the distortion
Quote by TomR
It completely depends on the model.
I've got the laney GH-50L, and its bloody heavy, crank the gain up, can play some very heavy stuff, even without pedals.
What model is it that he wants to upgrade too?

if he likes it then why not, alternatively, if he has a budget, we can suggest some other options that may be more suited.

Personally i wouldn't suggest any line 6's, especially not the spider. Peavy's are worth a look at.

Youre probably right but my Tf50fusion wont give me any punk sound and i have tried
over half a dozen other Laneys and they are f**ked up on the subject... or i may got way the wrong guitar for punk. It's a Blade Delta Classic Tele. what do ya think?
Strummer played a tele though...
L6's rock man!
Quote by KenMasters
Youre probably right but my Tf50fusion wont give me any punk sound and i have tried
over half a dozen other Laneys and they are f**ked up on the subject... or i may got way the wrong guitar for punk. It's a Blade Delta Classic Tele. what do ya think?
Strummer played a tele though...
L6's rock man!

I can't say I've ever played a Line 6 that was good, to be honest.
And, I agree with the guy a few posts up.
I have a GH50L, and it can get some searing levels of gain.
Great amp, actually.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Beyond low budget practice amps (spider series in general) Line 6 are expensive to get the quality. There are several options open to your friend.
1. Buy a distortion pedal
2. Buy an overdrive pedal, I believe that theres a single tube powering the distortion in that model (correct me if wrong)
3. Sell amp and buy a new one
4. Put up wth it until he can upgrade
i can get a ton of gain and power out of my laney LC50II, i luv that amp it's such a great buy for the value. u get a 50 watt all tube amp at around 600 euro that blows any peavey valveking out of the water.
Quote by KenMasters
When ya got a Laney(i got one too) ya gotta know it is an active amp. if your friend has also an active guitar, like a tele,he should put drive-reverb-tremble to 10\10. that should help. if he 's got a strat or an ibanez or something like a slim shaped metal guiotar, he should have thought twice cause Laneys are basically Clear sound amps and expert to nifty chord playing. he should try a line six

What the hell are you jibbing?
Hmm, well suppose you meant tube..

But yeh lany's are rather verastile amps save a few that specialive in clean or dist!

Just have him go to a store try out a few pedals, alot of people like the mt-2, i personally can't stand it!
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff