has anyone ever done a side by side test of the dremel router base and the stewmac or lmi router base? i have the dremel but it's leaving much to be desired so I may invest in one of the "premium" bases but I'm not convinced that they are worth the money...

anybody have any feedback for these bases? anything you love/hate about them?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I have both, the stew mac one is better IMO, its smaller but feels more substantial. With the stewmac one you can set the exact depth you want and it stays there, with the dremel one its a bit hit and miss as its a little flimsy because it plastic, its not very accurate. The dremel one has a much bigger base too so and although its clear its harder to see what your doing than the stew mac one.

hope this helps
^ yea i've noticed that it's hit or miss and it tends to walk a little while youre using it... itll suddenly start creeping back up because there's a lot of spring tension on it. I may get the stewmac one but I liked the large base of the dremel one... i've heard there are some modifications you can do to it to make it better but i dont know how to stop the creeping... plus the stop leaves much to be desired.

so you like the stewmac one? how is the aluminum base for blocking visibility of what you're routing?

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Yeah, I love the Stewmac one. Visibility is awesome because one side of the base has a large V cut out right to the center so there nothing at all blocking your view. Brilliant for detailed work. It even had a little tube on it where you can attach an air pump so the sawdust is blown out the way.

Worth every penny IMO
^ i may have to look into it a bit further... i've settled on setting the depth i want with the dremel one and completely writing of the plunge feature and just diving into the wood because i'm just completely sick of trying to get that damn thing to lock in place at the right depth... once its set I just let gravity be my guide

you could try to replace the rod the srpring are on with a bolt type thing and two nuts one under one above
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL